Thursday, May 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by lieph82 »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Vanya wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:(Sorry guys, but this is one of those "butt frustrated" moments for me)

Seriously...it's aggravating at a point. It's like a ton of bricks fell on the men, AGAIN. :roll:
I know, buddy. Come here. Let me hold you and whisper that you're still special and that superiority is your chromosomal birthright. We'll get through this.
We need MTGcollegestudent as a counter-balance to Arthur Chu.
What's that supposed to mean?! :?
Arthur is a vocal feminist. For whatever reason, some people on this board have the crazy idea that you're not a feminist.
Golf

Post by Golf »

lieph82 wrote:Arthur is a vocal feminist. For whatever reason, some people on this board have the crazy idea that you're not a feminist.
That's the reason? And here I thought it was because Arthur is an excellent poster.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Golf wrote:
lieph82 wrote:Arthur is a vocal feminist. For whatever reason, some people on this board have the crazy idea that you're not a feminist.
That's the reason? And here I thought it was because Arthur is an excellent poster.
Then MTG is an excellent counter-balance, non? ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
Golf wrote:
Then MTG is an excellent counter-balance, non? ;)
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:Someone should do this to the other contestants that face Julia to GET THEIR HEAD IN THE GAME! :evil: :
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

billy pilgrim wrote:FJ! was easy if you know what a bromeliad is, if not it''s pretty difficult.
Ya THINK!?

This is another example of what I've said all season: the writers have lost the ability to write FJs of appropriate degree of difficulty. It's either "Heck, everybody knows that!" or "WTF?!"

Mark me down as another "never in a million years heard of bromeliad or could make any linguistic connection from that word to anything else." Needless to say no hope on this FJ.

Meanwhile many congrats to the champ.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

jeff6286 wrote:Fruit
It's the only commerciallly important edible fruit of the Bromeliad family.

What is pineapple? Feifei said the quince; Julia said the pear.
Was Feifei's response intended as a shout-out to Gloria Clemente?
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

John Boy wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:FJ! was easy if you know what a bromeliad is, if not it''s pretty difficult.
Ya THINK!?

This is another example of what I've said all season: the writers have lost the ability to write FJs of appropriate degree of difficulty. It's either "Heck, everybody knows that!" or "WTF?!"

Mark me down as another "never in a million years heard of bromeliad or could make any linguistic connection from that word to anything else." Needless to say no hope on this FJ.
I knew it right away because I know what a bromeliad is. However, during the Think Music, I said to myself, "Wait -- I got it because I know what a bromeliad is, but what if you don't know? How is this a gettable FJ? Well, I guess if you thought to yourself, 'Since this fruit is the only one of its family, let me guess what kind of commercially popular fruit is unlike any other. That rules out any berries, any citrus fruits, and any pomes. What other fruits will I find in my local supermarket? Bananas? Well, plaintains are like bananas, and pretty popular. I can't think of anything else that fits but "pineapple".'"

Note that pomes includes both quince and pears, so those are ironically bad guesses because they rule each other out.

Rex
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I more or less agree with that reasoning, and some boardies said they got it without knowing "bromeliad" by just thinking "Which fruits are strange?"

However, if you know nothing about the classification of plants, some other fruits that might strike you as "weird" or "strange" might include coconuts, avocados, kiwi fruits, tomatoes, and grapes. (Looking it up, it appears that grapes as well as avocados are counted as berries, but they still might be plausible guesses for people who aren't up on their plants.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Rex Kramer wrote: I knew it right away because I know what a bromeliad is. However, during the Think Music, I said to myself, "Wait -- I got it because I know what a bromeliad is, but what if you don't know? How is this a gettable FJ? Well, I guess if you thought to yourself, 'Since this fruit is the only one of its family, let me guess what kind of commercially popular fruit is unlike any other. That rules out any berries, any citrus fruits, and any pomes. What other fruits will I find in my local supermarket? Bananas? Well, plaintains are like bananas, and pretty popular. I can't think of anything else that fits but "pineapple".'"
This is pretty close to my thought process, except I settled on figs.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

No one has mentioned coconuts.
davey

Post by davey »

harrumph wrote:No one has mentioned coconuts.
Yes, they have-
http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... ts#p119155