Friday, May 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by billiej »

tjconn728 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:If Sami had enough time to write one n, would he have gotten credit for What is Ten? Tenn I am sure they'd take.
What if he still only had two letters, but had gone with "TN" instead of "TE?" Glad that it didn't make a difference in the results in any case.
FJ took me about 25 seconds to get, so I probably would've just written TN and not attempted the whole thing for fear of getting cut off halfway through.

My entire sports knowledge can fit in a thimble and I still picked up "immaculate"! And certainly "Wings" as the first Best Picture winner is a standard trivia nugget. No matter, congrats to Julia for being #2!!!

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

ElendilPickle wrote:Since I'm away from home and can't watch, did Julia pass Dave Madden today?
It depends on what you mean. She has only passed David in terms of regular-play games won. She has yet to pass him in career wins, regular-play earnings, or career earnings.

ETA: I believe that Julia has tied Ken's record for most consecutive games having found a majority of the Daily Doubles (with 10).

cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Julia got a degree from Wellesley in art history and history. That was before she got a Masters from MIT in technical areas. This info comes from recent news stories about her. She didn't lack knowledge of Rodin, Sami just beat her in her own field.
Last edited by cosmos on Fri May 30, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

dnbguy wrote:In final, went from "southern state President" straight to Jackson, and then on to Tennessee.
Doesn't matter how you get it right, as long as you get it right!
The 4 years of vacancy was due to the civil war. It was vacant because the Senator had left to cover the Veep part of the ticket with Lincoln.

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Bamaman wrote:Nice win by Julia to become #2 on the wins list. She had a decent enough lead so striking out with Casey didn't hurt her.

FJ took me a bit to piece together but got it in time.

If Sami had enough time to write one n, would he have gotten credit for What is Ten? Tenn I am sure they'd take.

This (I think) was the second if her two tape days and she seemed a bit tired. Now she can rest for a week and with no job to go to (nor any real need to look for one right now) she can be refreshed as she goes for 21.
Doubtful he gets ruled correct with Ten H e would have abetter chance with just TN i
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Damn. Now I have to find a way to play Julia. :)

I am very pleased and not surprised. Congratulations to Julia!

Rex

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Tennessee was the first thing I thought of. It was my best educated guess, didn't know it for a fact. Was not expecting Harold Macmillan to be a triple stumper, but it was.

Not Julia's most dominant performance, but great game holding on in what was her first game in a while in which she seriously looked like she could've lost.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dnbguy wrote:In final, went from "southern state President" straight to Jackson, and then on to Tennessee.
Was Johnson, not Jackson, but whatever gets you there. :)

lemonsun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lemonsun »

I was hoping that Julia would get the clue involving Augusto César Sandino. I thought for sure his surname would ring the "Sandinistas" bell in her head. Oh, well. Happy 20th Julia!!! :D

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I wasn't sure Andrew Johnson had been senator before his vice presidency, but TN seemed the likeliest candidate.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Yay Julia! I wonder if she would have been sharper were it not the end of a taping day, but she did as well as she needed to.

I got both of her DD's and some Lach trash in the first round, but I missed FJ. I figured it was A. Johnson but couldn't remember where he was from.

I had noticed that, as a result of the Battle of the Decades prelims, there would be an "odd week" of regular games (assuming that the season ends on August 1). I had wondered how that would be handled. If dnbguy's inference is correct (which seems likely), and if my calculations are correct, the odd week happened already, some time after Arthur's run.

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

econgator wrote:
Was Johnson, not Jackson, but whatever gets you there. :)
Better to be lucky than good! Johnson makes a lot more sense than Jackson, I didn't really pay too much attention to the implications of the "four year gap" part of the clue during think time.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Does Julia have Jessi J's "Price Tag" in her head tonight? She has the 20 wins and that is what counts more than Madden's money, money, money?

Sami did not know Immaculate Reception. Bye. He also bugged me by not knowing check in poker, but then knew river. Okay, I take that to mean he may have watched some poker, but never played.

I've mentioned previously about Julia seeming to have some gaps for worldly things that are not overly difficult. Nicaragua and Macmillan were two more tonight.

Julia gets to play in June for a third month airing her regular games. Only Ken Jennings can match that feat.

The first post mentioning Jackson for the FJ! clue had me going for a second that I had the solve on Tennessee in thinking of the wrong guy. Quickly I was assured my path was fine. The only alternative that came to me was someone doing a John Tyler = Virginia.

Four weeks. Julia has swept four weeks. If someone would have told me that on night one I would have thought it was April 1 and not April 21. Julia's TOC prep better include Best Picture winners. Those come up a lot. AMC's Hell on Wheels is now 0/2 on the show. Will the writers go for third time's the charm? My scoresheet hopes so.

Alex gave Julia's 20th win a good call tonight with a little extra oomph when he does not always do it like he used to do more when someone was retiring. The audience seemed very aware that tonight's win was an important milestone.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

<*pouf*pouf* into mic> <taptap> Is this thing on?

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote:Julia gets to play in June for a third month airing her regular games. Only Ken Jennings can match that feat.
Tom Nichols won his first game on January 31, three more in February, and was retired in October after being brought due to a faulty clue.

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

cheezguyty wrote:ETA: I believe that Julia has tied Ken's record for most consecutive games having found a majority of the Daily Doubles (with 10).
Well, few people have had 10 consecutive games doing anything.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Julia gets to play in June for a third month airing her regular games. Only Ken Jennings can match that feat.
Tom Nichols won his first game on January 31, three more in February, and was retired in October after being brought due to a faulty clue.
Good one. I wonder if anyone who was brought back like India Cooper or Claudia Perry had that kind of wrap-around to get three months?

cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I guessed correctly that Turkey is 99% Muslim, but who in NATO is in second place and with what percentage?

With my limited poker knowledge I guessed tap instead of check which at best might get a request to be more specific?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote:
Doesn't matter how you get it right, as long as you get it right!
The 4 years of vacancy was due to the civil war. It was vacant because the Senator had left to cover the Veep part of the ticket with Lincoln.
Hannibal Hamlin was VP in Lincoln's first term. Johnson was the only southern Senator who did not resign when the war began, but he did leave his seat to become military governor of Tennessee after part of the state fell under union control. Johnson was a staunch opponent of secession.
TN would have had to be accepted since it is the official postal abbreviation

Golf

Post by Golf »

cosmos wrote:With my limited poker knowledge I guessed tap instead of check which at best might get a request to be more specific?
I'd neg it outright. Check is the poker term while tap is one of the things you can do when checking. A comparison might be if a question asked what term was used when you wanted another card in blackjack. If the answer was "hit", "scrape" would not be an acceptable response.