Friday, May 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Friday, May 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

cosmos wrote:I guessed correctly that Turkey is 99% Muslim, but who in NATO is in second place and with what percentage?

With my limited poker knowledge I guessed tap instead of check which at best might get a request to be more specific?
Albania has 59% Muslim population, so I'd guess that it's in second place in NATO.
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

Golf wrote:
cosmos wrote:With my limited poker knowledge I guessed tap instead of check which at best might get a request to be more specific?
I'd neg it outright. Check is the poker term while tap is one of the things you can do when checking. A comparison might be if a question asked what term was used when you wanted another card in blackjack. If the answer was "hit", "scrape" would not be an acceptable response.
"Tap" is also slang for "all-in," another poker term, so I'd definitely neg it.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

cosmos wrote:I guessed correctly that Turkey is 99% Muslim, but who in NATO is in second place and with what percentage?
It has to be Albania, by far. Percentage is tricky, though. A large majority is Muslim historically (there is also a Catholic minority), but all religion was banned during the Hoxha regime. I don't know how many Albanians actually identify as Muslim today. Could be anywhere in the 40-90% range.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

gnash wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:ETA: I believe that Julia has tied Ken's record for most consecutive games having found a majority of the Daily Doubles (with 10).
Well, few people have had 10 consecutive games doing anything.
I should have specified that I meant consecutive games across all appearances. By my count there have been 78 contestants who have played at least 10 games of Trebek-era Jeopardy.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

A very good win for Julia tonight against reasonably strong competition (take that, doubters and naysayers, not to mention nattering nabobs of negativism!). Still, some very surprising TSs, such as WIngs(!!), Harold MacMillan, the UK and Iceland. Both of the missed DDs I felt were pretty easy, but the triple get on FJ (assuming that Sami was going for Tenn) was a pleasant surprise. I spent most of Think Music deciding that Andrew Johnson was a TN Senator, but got it down before the end.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was awesome. Julia slides into second underneath the baseman's glove. What a show.
Golf

Post by Golf »

lieph82 wrote:
Golf wrote:
cosmos wrote:With my limited poker knowledge I guessed tap instead of check which at best might get a request to be more specific?
I'd neg it outright. Check is the poker term while tap is one of the things you can do when checking. A comparison might be if a question asked what term was used when you wanted another card in blackjack. If the answer was "hit", "scrape" would not be an acceptable response.
"Tap" is also slang for "all-in," another poker term, so I'd definitely neg it.
Good point. And just to use them both in a sentence for clarity....

(said through a mouthful of cookies) No checks here, I tap you!
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

Congrats to Julia... :D
Nice to see her hang on to her lead and pull out that win.

Is it possible that Julia will carry over to the next season like Ken J did during his run?
Summer is just around the corner after all...
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

That was totally weird how he knew "river" but not "check". Check is used in pretty much all forms of betting poker, whereas River is peculiar to the Hold 'Em poker games.

Guessed correctly on FJ. I knew Jackson, Johnson, and Polk were TN Presidents, but I didn't know which ones had been Senators. Gore briefly crossed my mind, but I remembered that he didn't QUITE become President.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Something about Wendy is uncannily reminiscent of Robert K S. Any relation?
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

For the Final, it seemed obvious that "southern state" and "4 years" indicated the Civil War. Remembered Andrew Johnson was a Senator who remained true to the Union. And remembered a film I saw on TCM a couple of years ago, whose title indicated which state he was from :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036419/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

(not to be confused with Ernie Ford or playwright Williams)
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Golf wrote:
I think it would have been accepted. The clue said: "If players before you make a bet, you must call or raise to stay in; if they don't, you can stay in by doing this". And, like you said, tap is one of the things you can do to check.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Did she have to make #20 so exciting? I was hoping for a nice, easy blowout...but I guess it is appropriate that if you are attempting to pass a legend, that you should have to earn it.

The woman at the third podium was a serious contender tonight...she just took too long to get going on the buzzer. Sami seemed to hit a wheelhouse category early but struggled a tad beyond that until he nailed that DD.

As for Julia, she seemed to be a tad off on the buzzer, which could make one think she was experiencing some fatigue/concentration lapses. She is a fun player to watch. She seems to know just enough about just about everything Jeopardy will ask you. I again go back to my basic point that she is very non threatening when she plays...but before you know it she has a $10,000 lead on you.

Gosh, I was beginning to think that nobody would ever seriously challenge Madden for #2 all time. Heck, I thought Arthur was probably safe at #3 for at least a little while. This has been an amazing streak that started with such a basic first victory that wouldn't have made you think she was capable of this. I wonder how shocked Frederique is right now that the girl that slipped by her is now a Jeopardy legend?
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Exciting game down to the wire -- congratulations to Julia on her 20th win!! I found Julia's reaction amusing when Alex commented "It all comes down to Final Jeopardy and this category." -- her eyes widened as if to say "we shall see". She definitely had the poker face going so I was unsure of the outcome until the reveal -- although other times when she'd gotten FJ wrong, she would shake her head indicating such. I didn't get FJ, guessed Georgia to have something -- definitely need to improve my knowledge in that department. I did get the Wings' triple-stumper, though.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Frederique won her game thanks to a bad FJ wager by a strong player. Had that lady been better at wagering, she might have taken down Julia before she ever started.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Monday she'll pass Dave Madden's total regular game winnings if she wins $4301, and she'd do it on the 10th anniversary(6/2) of Jerry Harvey game 3 :)
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Bamaman wrote:Frederique won her game thanks to a bad FJ wager by a strong player. Had that lady been better at wagering, she might have taken down Julia before she ever started.
Nice supposition backed by pure conjecture, ha-ha ... I really enjoyed Sandie as a player, but I don't believe she would have necessarily stopped Julia dead in her tracks (although you did say 'might have'). I think their game play is quite similar. And her wagering couldn't have been that bad if she accumulated $140K. It would have been a nice match-up, nonetheless.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wasn't referring to Sandie, it was the third player in the game who made a bad bet on the FJ about a good looking president.

Frederique did not impress me as a strong player but she came very close to beating Julia. Could a stronger player with game experience such as the lady from the Sandie/Frederique game have done it? Who knows?

It was not meant as a slap at Julia.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Bamaman wrote:I wasn't referring to Sandie, it was the third player in the game who made a bad bet on the FJ about a good looking president.

Frederique did not impress me as a strong player but she came very close to beating Julia. Could a stronger player with game experience such as the lady from the Sandie/Frederique game have done it? Who knows?

It was not meant as a slap at Julia.
Right, Kristin overbet from second on April 17 which gave Frederique the win.
skygilbert
Valued Contributor

Post by skygilbert »

I guessed Morocco on the NATO Muslim question, thinking that Morocco qualified as "North Atlantic" way more than Turkey and therefore was more likely to be in the organization.