Friday, May 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Friday, May 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by StevenH »

I haven't yet been spoiled on the length of Julia's streak, but I was spoiled on the length of the streaks of the other 3 double digit champs. I have to wonder if that means something.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

barandall800 wrote:I'm exceedingly late to the party because I've been DVRing the episodes (a nice new addition to our household...I get to watch every episode no matter what now, but usually catch them the next day, since now our affiliate airs new episodes at 7:30), but it's nice to see Jeopardy! history being made just a week and a half or so after I get back from Peru. Go, Julia! I'm very impressed by her playing, and like an earlier comment, I agree that before I notice, she always seems to be leading by a lot in the middle of the game. So calm, yet so powerful. :)

Thanks to my 2-year hiatus from, well, normal life in general, I'm doing horribly on pop-culture categories, which were once my strength. I'll have to study up a bit more...blanked on FJ too, and presidential history's one of my faves. Yeah, I have to brush up on a few things.

Also, hi, everyone! Thanks to all who have given me a shout-out before, during, or after my long absence from the board. I'll have to be getting back into the swing of things here as I go... :)
Welcome back!!!!!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yes, welcome back! I hope your mission was successful and fulfilling.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Austin Powers wrote:
Cat Hat wrote:Congratulations to Julia! Twenty wins is simply amazing.

On April 18, 2014,
Austin Powers wrote: The way Sandie seemed comfortably ahead of her (mostly mediocre) opponents, I thought she could have gone on a twenty game tear.
Austin wrote this on a Friday. On the very next Monday, a player (Julia) started a 20-game (at least) winning streak! Given that there have been only two winning streaks of 20 or more games of Jeopardy!--and only one at the time Austin wrote this--I find it very interesting that Austin mentioned a hypothetical 20-game winning streak when a real 20-game (or more) streak was just about to begin.
Folks here are playing checkers, but I'm playing chess.
I'd be tempted to say you were Nostradamus in a past life, if I believed in past lives or anything that Nostradamus said.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Welcome back, barandall. Impeccable timing.

Rex
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Yay! barandall's back! Welcome home!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:Yay! barandall's back! Welcome home!
Ditto!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:Frederique won her game thanks to a bad FJ wager by a strong player. Had that lady been better at wagering, she might have taken down Julia before she ever started.
Heck, if Frédérique just bets $300 more on her last DD (she bet $1,500, and it was in the $1,600 box), Julia is done with only a consolation prize.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

And KJ was a judge's ruling away from being 1 and done. That's our show!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

And if Merv Griffin's wife hadn't dreamed up the show to begin with, we wouldn't all be here having this discussion.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

zakharov wrote:And KJ was a judge's ruling away from being 1 and done. That's our show!
Are we really going to get bpmod started twice in one week?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

zakharov wrote:And KJ was a judge's ruling away from being 1 and done. That's our show!
What happened in KJ's second game? As far as I remember, it was a complete blowout.
lieph82 wrote:Are we really going to get bpmod started twice in one week?
Am I the only one here that is bothered by complete fantasy instead of actual facts when discussing games?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I believe Ken Jennings had 15 locks in his first 20 games and Julia has 12 locks. I hope she adds more next week.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

bpmod wrote:
What happened in KJ's second game? As far as I remember, it was a complete blowout.
lieph82 wrote:Are we really going to get bpmod started twice in one week?
Am I the only one here that is bothered by complete fantasy instead of actual faxcts when discussing games?

Brian
Where is the line drawn between fantasy and actual facts? For me, calling KJ game 2 a blowout is a fantasy and ignores the facts of the game. Had Chad gotten both of his DDs right, all other things being equal, Chad would have won KJ's second game with a correct FJ wager.

Even if you think the decision to accept "Jones" was clearcut and obvious, the judges still had a tougher time evaluating his answer than if he had written "Marion Jones." Ken Jennings reports being nervous in his book because even though he knew the full answer, his omission of the first name made it look like he could just be guessing, and Trebek made special mention of why they decided to accept the answer. There was a decision to be made. Had LoLo Jones been born 10 years earlier, based on the information Trebek gave, Jennings would have been wrong, or the decision at least would have been even tougher.

We've already seen from the "control alt delete" fiasco that everyone has a different idea of what exactly "facts" are.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lieph82 wrote:Had LoLo Jones been born 10 years earlier
Here's a fact: she wasn't. ;)

Another fact: Chad missed both of his DD's. What he would have had if he had gotten them correct isn't relevant.

Conclusion: Ken's 2nd game was, indeed, a blowout.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

econgator wrote:
lieph82 wrote:Had LoLo Jones been born 10 years earlier
Here's a fact: she wasn't. ;)

Another fact: Chad missed both of his DD's. What he would have had if he had gotten them correct isn't relevant.

Conclusion: Ken's 2nd game was, indeed, a blowout.
We have different definitions of blowout that are based in different facts. We reach different conclusions based on different evaluations of differing or even the same facts. And that's ok! The world does not run according to what bpmod thinks are "facts" or what econgator thinks are "facts" or what lieph82 thinks are "facts."
Last edited by lieph82 on Sat May 31, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

lieph82 wrote:
bpmod wrote:
For me, calling KJ game 2 a blowout is a fantasy and ignores the facts of the game. Had Chad gotten both of his DDs right, all other things being equal, Chad would have won KJ's second game with a correct FJ wager.
So, what was the judge's ruling that changed (or had the potential to change) the outcome?

31,000 to 2,400 is a blowout by almost anybody's standards. 31,000 to 9,600 cannot possibly be called a blowout, though. You are definitely right about that.

Brian

lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

bpmod wrote:
lieph82 wrote:
bpmod wrote:
lieph82 wrote:For me, calling KJ game 2 a blowout is a fantasy and ignores the facts of the game. Had Chad gotten both of his DDs right, all other things being equal, Chad would have won KJ's second game with a correct FJ wager.
So, what was the judge's ruling that changed (or had the potential to change) the outcome?

31,000 to 2,400 is a blowout by almost anybody's standards. 31,000 to 9,600 cannot possibly be called a blowout, though. You are definitely right about that.

Brian
First of all, regarding the judge's ruling, I think the original poster meant "one and done" to mean "once on the show and then done," not "one win on the show and then done." Again, different definitions. Nothing to see there.

To me, a blowout is a game that the other contestants could not have possibly won in any reasonable scenario. I can't determine that just by looking at final scores. If Contestant A and Contestant B both have $20,000 going into clue 60, and Contestant B bets it all on the clue 60 DD and gets it wrong, Contestant A will probably win the game by a very large margin, but I wouldn't call it a blowout. And clearly I'm not talking about $31,000 to $9,600. Give him credit for correct DDs and he's within 50% of Ken, and he got FJ right while Ken got it wrong.

This is called a difference in interpretation. There is not a right answer and a wrong answer. And there's nothing wrong with that!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

lieph82 wrote:And clearly I'm not talking about $31,000 to $9,600. Give him credit for correct DDs and he's within 50% of Ken, and he got FJ right while Ken got it wrong.
No. Of course not. You want to make up your own numbers rather than what actually took place during the game.

If he had gotten both his DD's correct, he would have been trailing 31,000 to 9,600 going into FJ. There is no way he could have won in that scenario.

Edit: Sorry. I was looking at the wrong DD. It would have been 31,000 to 9,000. you are correct after all. 9,000 is greater than 50% of 31,000.

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

All sarcasm aside, my apologies to lieph. I did have a brainfart on the math.

Brian