Monday, June 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: Monday, June 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nightreign »

Amazing job, Julia! I have to admit, I had a few negative feelings towards her because we were coming right off the BOTD, but she grew on me. She's a great champ.

Like others here, I don't think she's arrogant at all. I never understood the backlash against Colby, either. They seem like genuinely nice, cool people. If they have a facial tick, that's not something you can control, particularly under the pressure of being watched by millions of people.
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by TryphonTournesol »

nightreign wrote:Like others here, I don't think she's arrogant at all. I never understood the backlash against Colby, either. They seem like genuinely nice, cool people. If they have a facial tick, that's not something you can control, particularly under the pressure of being watched by millions of people.
Yeah, the idea that people have time to concentrate on affecting their behavior when they're trying to answer questions and win money in front of an audience seems crazy to me. How could you possibly focus on what your face is doing when you're under that kind of pressure?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Add me to the list of those who believe that idiosyncratic facial expressions (we all have them) are nothing more than idiosyncratic facial expressions. They're not phony and they're not calculated; they're just what our faces "do" when we're concentrating on something, such as trying to play a game well.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

dhkendall wrote:Which is what got me about people saying Colby was "smug" merely because of his own personal facial thing. I haven't seen a smug contestant yet on the show, the CCs must do an excellent job at weeding them out.
Unintentional, perhaps, but I notice you said you haven't seen a smug "contestant" (as opposed to smug "person") on the show, as "smugness" seems to be someone else's thing, according to some.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

It would be nice if a somewhat above average male contestant went on a big run, so we could feel free to call him good, not great, and feel more free to refer to Julia as good, not great.

Note: this is not a subtle reference to upcoming show events
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote: They accepted "baby breech"? I've always heard it "breech baby".
"baby, breech": see breech baby.
Breech baby, breech baby give me your hand...
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Austin Powers wrote:It would be nice if a somewhat above average male contestant went on a big run, so we could feel free to call him good, not great, and feel more free to refer to Julia as good, not great.

One thing we've learned from Colby, Arthur and Julia is that this board is not immune to racism and misogyny, although the rationalizations tend to be a bit more subtle.

Advice to all potential contestants: practice the buzzer and learn how to wager from 2nd place!!!
EndlessEntropy
Valued Contributor

Post by EndlessEntropy »

Finally she's gone. Julia was a good presence, but I don't know how the hell she lasted this long. Does anyone else think her competition overall was pretty weak? I only watched about half her games, but I saw a lot of unanswered clues and in a number of them I would have beat her handily as I got more clues and ones that were triple stumpers and yes, it's different once you're actually playing, but she never came off as a particularly threatening champion.
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

-Shakespeare
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

MDaunt wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:It would be nice if a somewhat above average male contestant went on a big run, so we could feel free to call him good, not great, and feel more free to refer to Julia as good, not great.

One thing we've learned from Colby, Arthur and Julia is that this board is not immune to racism and misogyny, although the rationalizations tend to be a bit more subtle.

Advice to all potential contestants: practice the buzzer and learn how to wager from 2nd place!!!
Indeed. The reason people think Julia's pretty good, but not one of the all time greats, is because she has ovaries. It's all anyone talks about! If her games had fewer TSs, if she had a few more "wow" gets, if she got more FJs right, or if she averaged more than $21,000 an episode, people would still question her skills, because she has ovaries. Such a levelheaded, analytic approach to gameplay is why this board is so terrific.

In summation: ovaries.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

EndlessEntropy wrote:Finally she's gone. Julia was a good presence, but I don't know how the hell she lasted this long. Does anyone else think her competition overall was pretty weak? I only watched about half her games, but I saw a lot of unanswered clues and in a number of them I would have beat her handily as I got more clues and ones that were triple stumpers and yes, it's different once you're actually playing, but she never came off as a particularly threatening champion.
Neanderthal, go back your cave.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

skullturf wrote:Add me to the list of those who believe that idiosyncratic facial expressions (we all have them) are nothing more than idiosyncratic facial expressions. They're not phony and they're not calculated; they're just what our faces "do" when we're concentrating on something, such as trying to play a game well.
I would agree with this. I think Chu, for example, came off as smug on camera (as an example, in his picture with Trebek, he's got this smirk, right?) but I seriously doubt he's like that in real life. Never met Colby, but I have heard the same. Some people do not translate to TV well.
MDaunt

Post by MDaunt »

Austin Powers wrote:
MDaunt wrote:

Indeed. The reason people think Julia's pretty good, but not one of the all time greats, is because she has ovaries. It's all anyone talks about! If her games had fewer TSs, if she had a few more "wow" gets, if she got more FJs right, or if she averaged more than $21,000 an episode, people would still question her skills, because she has ovaries. Such a levelheaded, analytic approach to gameplay is why this board is so terrific.

In summation: ovaries.
Yes.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Didn't this happen just a couple of months ago?

Rex
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

Looking forward to seeing Julia again in the Tournament of Champions this coming November. With her streak and ranking of seventh all-time (and as the all-time female champion), her odds of winning the TOC are currently put at 5:3 (before calculating odds of likelihood of supplying correct responses and how less likely she will neg to come up with post odds).

Note that those odds would be for entertainment purposes only as I am not a Vegas oddsmaker by day.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Honestly, I think that anyone who goes on the show and sets records will always have people saying "they're not that good. They left easy money on the board. They benefited from easy boards. They were just good on the buzzer against weak competition, etc."

I mentioned this before, but Roger Craig's run was a very good example. After he set the record for most money won in one game in his second game, I was flabbergasted by the boardies who said that he wasn't that impressive. And it wasn't just trolls; I am mainly referring to boardies who had been around for a long time and whose opinions I always respected. Roger didn't get the respect that he deserved until he proved himself through other media and in his ToC. And even in the Battle of the Decades tournament, there were still the trolls who said that he didn't belong on the same stage as Ken and Brad.

I don't remember much of Ken's run, but it sounds like there were people who said that he wasn't that good, either. So is there any champ, regardless of demographics, who won't have naysayers when they go on the show and set records?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

You don't win 20 games of a very hard game show by being "decent." Julia proved her bona fides. I think what helped her a lot is that she's really good at STAYING CLAM.

The ways in which our sexist and racist culture affects how we perceive Jeopardy contestants is a great topic for discussion. It'd be cool if someone more informed than I could make a new thread to get things started (hi, Dr. J!). I may or may not be suggesting this because I'm tired of the "Julia, really impressive or just kinda alright?" debate taking over every damn thread.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

zakharov wrote:You don't win 20 games of a very hard game show by being "decent." Julia proved her bona fides. I think what helped her a lot is that she's really good at STAYING CLAM.

The ways in which our sexist and racist culture affects how we perceive Jeopardy contestants is a great topic for discussion. It'd be cool if someone more informed than I could make a new thread to get things started (hi, Dr. J!). I may or may not be suggesting this because I'm tired of the "Julia, really impressive or just kinda alright?" debate taking over every damn thread.
Bob Harris wrote in his book "Prisoner of Trebekistan" that one of the steps in what he calls the Eightfold Path to Enlightened Jeopardy! is that doing nothing is better than doing something really stupid.

STAYING CLAM might be considered a corollary to this, the fourth step on the Eightfold Path to Enlightened Jeopardy!
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
tonypct
Contributor

Post by tonypct »

MDaunt wrote:

Your comment is offensive. So I cannot dislike anyone of color? Or a minority? Or someone who is a different sexual orientation than myself? Here's a news flash: There are people in every race, color, sexual orientation, gender, religious denomination, no religious denomination at all, etc etc who are not likeable people. Disliking someone who is not a white male does NOT automatically mean one is racist or a misogynist. Your comment speaks to your stereotyping of people and your intolerance of others who have a different opinion than yours. Pot, meet kettle.

By the way, just to add, I've been a big fan of both Julia and Colby. As another poster said, they are both pretty cool, IMHO. Arthur is the one I find annoying and unlikeable.
MDaunt

Post by MDaunt »

tonypct wrote:
MDaunt wrote:

Your comment is offensive.
Tough.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
jeopardyhopeful wrote:And what, exactly, about lower lip extensions consistitutes smug? Probably that's just her own personal facial thing, of which everyone has a unique thing.
Which is what got me about people saying Colby was "smug" merely because of his own personal facial thing. I haven't seen a smug contestant yet on the show, the CCs must do an excellent job at weeding them out.
We had at least one such in the last couple of years. I don't recall his name. I think the consensus leaned more toward "arrogant" than "smug". Anyway, he struck several of us that way and we had an exclusive report from the green room that he had done some striding about, bragging how good he was and how he was going to win. If that wasn't his real personality, it was definitely the one he chose to project. We weren't misreading the signals. Anyway, he lost.

With Colby, I see what other people were seeing. I get why some people thought he was smug. He didn't rub me the wrong way, so I didn't think that myself. Does English have a word that means something like "cocky," but in a positive, likeable way? That's kind of how I saw Colby.

With Julia, I don't see it at all. It's not like, yeah, I see why you might think that, but I think you're misinterpreting. It's flat out, whuh? Smug? What are you talking about? I don't even know where that comes from.