Tuesday, June 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bomtr »

Paucle wrote:I got to Arizona for Goldwater, but what was to lead me to Wildcats v Sun Devils? I was clamming until someone negged with one of 'em and it never happened.
university of this state...Arizona WAS the response, no need to debate Wildcats or Sun Devils.

also, no BMS on Washington DC NFL team. That response could mean neither the Seattle Seahawks nor the Washington Huskies. In fact, I don't see why merely the word 'Washington' wouldn't suffice.

For reasons purely divorced from any discussion of deservingness, I am glad to see Brian leave. He has the rather common habit of producing an audible smack before every utterance, and usually a second one after. I've seen a few local newscasters with the same unfortunate habit, and once you notice it, it becomes more and more grating. His pace was a little slow for my taste as well.

Lots of trash, again. FJ in a few seconds.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I was also impressed by Brian's play, but the new champ wasn't bad either.

I knew the "Batista" DD but I thought that it was way harder than the "Ho Chi Minh" clue that was below it at $2000!

I am usually bad at college mascots but FJ was an instant get.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:(I am correct in thinking that all "University of [State]" universities are "state universities" (and are the ones assumed in J! when just the state name is answered, as opposed to "[State] State"?)
For the most part, yeah.

If you say "Florida", that's the University of Florida, "Alabama" is the University of Alabama.

The only places where that will get you in trouble are Louisiana (there's no "University of Louisiana", there's just "University of Louisiana at Lafayette" and "University of Louisiana at Monroe"), NY (there's no University of New York. There is New York University (NYU -- private) and the State University of New York (SUNY)), and NJ (there's no University of New Jersey -- that'd be Rutgers). I may have missed one or two.
If my impression is correct, "California" is an interesting case. In a college sports context, I seem to encounter "California" or "Cal" referring to the University of California at Berkeley. However, in an academic context, I would abbreviate that institution as "Berkeley" and not "California".
hscer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by hscer »

bomtr wrote:
also, no BMS on Washington DC NFL team. That response could mean neither the Seattle Seahawks nor the Washington Huskies. In fact, I don't see why merely the word 'Washington' wouldn't suffice.
Well, nobody gave me the full clue, which I said I hadn't seen. That could certainly change how I view this specific matter. And, by the way, the response you quoted was my actually suggestion in response to one of merely "Washington football team," which, without context, could certainly mean the Seattle Seahawks or Washington Huskies. Obviously the one I suggested could not be interpreted that way. (Although, I guess you could consider it incorrect, as the team in question plays home games in Maryland and is headquartered in Virginia.) Now, simply Washington, if the context clearly suggested an NFL team, would have to be accepted. It's actually much better than "Washington football team," if we're being pedantic.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
davey

Post by davey »

teapot37 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:This is where I failed. I have a pretty good idea what the Ivy League schools are, but I *always* forget UPenn is one of them - never guessed that a state university is also an Ivy. (I am correct in thinking that all "University of [State]" universities are "state universities" (and are the ones assumed in J! when just the state name is answered, as opposed to "[State] State"?)
Penn is a private school. I generally consider "state schools" to be public ones, so I wouldn't think of Penn as being in that classification. (Penn State, I do.)
This has been posted before - a handy compendium of terminology in higher education. (Read at own risk!)

) A _college_ does not offer degrees beyond the BA/BS level.
Examples: Boston College, Dartmouth College, The College of
William and Mary, Bryn Mawr College

*) A _university_ [1] does offer degrees beyond the BA/BS level. These
typically include law, medicine, and MBA degrees.
Examples: Princeton University, Wesleyan University

*) An _institute_ or a _polytechnic_ offers vocational-technical
degrees in fields like automobile or appliance repair. They may be
public or private (see below).
Examples: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, California
Institute of Technology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
California Polytechnic State University

*) A college or university named after a _city_ is a public school
operated by that city.
Examples: University of Chicago, New York University[2],
Boston College, Princeton University, University of San Diego,
University of San Francisco, Seattle University

*) A college or university named after a _state_ is a public school
operated by that state.
Examples: University of Pennsylvania, University of Southern
California, Connecticut College, Colorado College

*) A college or university named after a _person_ is a private
institution.
Examples: Rutgers University, The College of William and Mary,
Truman State University (MO), Thomas Edison State College
(NJ), Medgar Evers College (NY), LaGuardia Community College
(NY)

I hope this has been instructive and useful.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

AntmanB wrote:Are we about to endure another Carousel?
I know I was screaming "Carousel! Carousel! Carousel!" at one point during the program.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote:*) A college or university named after a _state_ is a public school
operated by that state.
Examples: University of Pennsylvania
Nope. Not public, as mentioned above.
davey wrote:*) A college or university named after a _person_ is a private
institution.
Examples: Rutgers University
Nope. Not private.
davey

Post by davey »

A college or university named after a _state_ is a public school
operated by that state.

econgator wrote: Nope. Not public, as mentioned above.

A college or university named after a _person_ is a private
institution.

econgator wrote:Nope. Not private.
Keep going.
BTW, I removed the "davey wrote"s, because I didn't write this - just passed it along for purposes of elucidation...
Last edited by davey on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote:
econgator wrote:
operated by that state.
institution.
Nope. Not private.
Keep going.
I have no idea what that means.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
operated by that state.
institution.
Nope. Not private.
(blink)
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

I would have won the HECK out of this game. Really easy board for me personally - I mean, when I'm running a category on musicals, you know it's all coming together - and the FJ was probably my fastest instaget ever. I'm sure if I ever get on the show the board will look nothing like this one.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

econgator wrote:
davey wrote:
econgator wrote:
operated by that state.
institution.
Nope. Not private.
Keep going.
I have no idea what that means.
He means it's intentionally wrong. The joke, I assume, is that there's no such thing as standard terminology in the names of colleges and universities. Not much of a joke, of course, but hey. The "Read at your own risk!" should have tipped it, though.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Paucle wrote:I got to Arizona for Goldwater, but what was to lead me to Wildcats v Sun Devils? I was clamming until someone negged with one of 'em and it never happened.
I believe the clue asked for the state, not the university.

I'm not surprised this FJ clue did me in. I knew naming a denomination was the only way I'd get it right, and I guessed Lutherans, as silly as it sounded, for being the shortest one I could think of. Given Penn (which would be too much info for an FJ, but I think would be decent for a second-row DD), I might have been able to guess it.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I believe all of the "examples" in that post are incorrect.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

RKane wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
Bamaman wrote:He is a native of Vancouver
Which is why I'm thinking that as a Canadian, he didn't follow college sports the way Americans do, despite playing for LSU.
This is probably extremely true.

As a Canadian, I can hold my own in any Jeopardy-level question on pro sports (well, maybe not basketball), but typically will draw a blank on anything to do with college sports.

Since the category name didn't mention 'sports' or 'college football', I wasn't expecting a sports clue, anyway...and, although I'm a huge sports fan, and often shout bellow at the TV when contestants get none of the sports clues while getting all of the opera ones, I had no clue on this one. I've obviously never attended, or known anyone who has attended, an Ivy League school, and have never committed all of them to memory. I'd bet that Penn is the most likely to stump any non-Ivy League types who are asked to name all the member schools. I would have gotten Penn as a response to a clue about the team Michigan State and Magic Johnson beat in the 1979 Final Four, but that kind of thing is too 'inside' for everyday J!, and is more appropriate for the forthcoming all-sports version.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

bomtr wrote:
university of this state...Arizona WAS the response, no need to debate Wildcats or Sun Devils.

For reasons purely divorced from any discussion of deservingness, I am glad to see Brian leave. He has the rather common habit of producing an audible smack before every utterance, and usually a second one after. I've seen a few local newscasters with the same unfortunate habit, and once you notice it, it becomes more and more grating. His pace was a little slow for my taste as well.
*smacks lips*...yes, that bothered me, too.*smacks lips*(I even heard Sarah(?) do a 'lip-smack' on one of the glacier clues, and for a minute I thought it would spread to everyone on the show!
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

skullturf wrote:
econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:(I am correct in thinking that all "University of [State]" universities are "state universities" (and are the ones assumed in J! when just the state name is answered, as opposed to "[State] State"?)
For the most part, yeah.

If you say "Florida", that's the University of Florida, "Alabama" is the University of Alabama.

The only places where that will get you in trouble are Louisiana (there's no "University of Louisiana", there's just "University of Louisiana at Lafayette" and "University of Louisiana at Monroe"), NY (there's no University of New York. There is New York University (NYU -- private) and the State University of New York (SUNY)), and NJ (there's no University of New Jersey -- that'd be Rutgers). I may have missed one or two.
If my impression is correct, "California" is an interesting case. In a college sports context, I seem to encounter "California" or "Cal" referring to the University of California at Berkeley. However, in an academic context, I would abbreviate that institution as "Berkeley" and not "California".
I think the name 'Cal' has gained some acceptance in the last few years when discussing the school in academic as well as athletic contexts. Most sports reference books tend to refer to it as 'California'.
I believe Stanford students used to make a point of calling their rival 'Berkeley' just to be difficult. Local news reporters(for non-sports stories) tend to say 'UC-Berkeley', or 'University of California-Berkeley' on first reference, and 'Cal' thereafter, while the sports guys call it 'Cal', no matter what.
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

dansachs wrote:Surprised that a self-described "Geek Girl" would miss on "Who cofounded Microsoft with Bill Gates" and "Who wrote Nightfall?".
Thought that as well ... how very "un-geeky" of Sarah. I was pleased with her substantial FJ wager after her earlier timid DD amount. Congrats to her on the win.
seaborgium wrote:I'm not surprised this FJ clue did me in. I knew naming a denomination was the only way I'd get it right, and I guessed Lutherans, as silly as it sounded, for being the shortest one I could think of. Given Penn (which would be too much info for an FJ, but I think would be decent for a second-row DD), I might have been able to guess it.
Ha, ha. Same here. I also probably would have figured out FJ if spotted Pennsylvania. However, I came up blank and said the mighty 'Protestants' just to have something. Yours is better ... Garrison Keillor would approve. I also thought Brian knew FJ as it seemed he was finished writing well before the Think music ended, and then to have nothing -- I guess if you don't know it, you don't know it.
Last edited by JeopRDFan on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I always have trouble watching Jeopardy after watching a super champ go down. I didn't think Brian was going to last, though he did a pretty good job tonight to show he wasn't a complete fluke. The new champion was pretty good tonight. I guess the best we can say for now is that her first appearance beats Julia's. That may be the extent of her bragging rights though!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think just Washington would gave been taken as that is the teams nsme. If the Seahawks went by Washington, then a BMS would be needed.