Friday, June 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6855, 2014-06-06

CONTESTANTS
Vince Balzano, a production company associate originally from Summit, New Jersey
Kathy Haas, a museum curator from Haddonfield, New Jersey
Molly Lalonde, a pediatric nurse practitioner student from Nashville, Tennessee (whose 1-day cash winnings total $23,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen.
Well, we're now into June. Most of the kids are out of school, so my hope is that you're watching and playing along at home as a family unit. We have clues for all ages.
Molly is our returning champion. Today, she defends against Kathy and Vince. Delighted to have the three of you here.
Good luck. Let's go to work.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FROM SOUP TO NUTS (5/5)
WHAT THEY ARE (5/5)
I'M ON A BOAT! (4/5)
ROMANTIC CLICHÉS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WHAT'S THE ATTRACTION? (4/5)
HE'S SO MAN"LEY" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vince: 9 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Kathy: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W
Molly: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Vince found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Molly had $1,000, Kathy was in the red with -$600, and Vince had a deficit with -$400. Vince wagered $1,000.

ROMANTIC CLICHÉS $1000: A 17th c. Frenchman wrote, "absence is to love as" this "is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it kindles the great"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Molly: $1,000
Vince: $600
Kathy: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: If you want to know about living dangerously, talk to Vince Balzano. He attended Georgetown and also attended USC. When he was a student at Georgetown, he never went to a...
Vince: Basketball game.
Ale: Ooh. And when you were at USC?
Vince: Never went to a football game.
Alex: And how did your schoolmates react to that? Did they figure, "hey..."
Vince: You know, they were too busy attending the games to notice that I wasn't even there.
Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kathy Haas from Haddonfield, New Jersey, is a museum curator at a small museum, but you guys have something very special.
Kathy: That's right. I work at the Rosenbach of the Free Library of Philadelphia, and we have one of the copies of the Bay Psalm book, which is the oldest book printed In what's now the United States.
Alex: Now, if that book were out on the open market, what would it fetch at auction? Do you have any idea?
Kathy: Well, I probably don't want to get too into that, but Sotheby's did sell one recently, so you can go look it up.
Alex: You can't tell me what it was? 'Cause I'm not good at looking things up.
[ laughter ]
Alex: You can tell me what it sold for.
Kathy: I don't remember exactly.
Alex: Oh, diplomatic lady. All right.

Alex: Molly Lalonde is our champion, and in high school, is it true you gave your class some advice that relates to our program?
Molly: Yes, we had to write an essay about a class that we would like to see taught, and mine was to have a class taught on how to win Jeopardy!
Alex: And what was the main conclusion of your essay?
Molly: Practice, you know, be confident, take risks, and I'm hoping that advice sticks with me today.
Alex: Well, it worked yesterday. Let's see what happens today.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I'M ON A BOAT! $1000: This five-letter
single-masted boat may or may not have a bowsprit.

ROMANTIC CLICHÉS $600: "Would you believe in" this sudden event? "Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time"
(Molly: What is magic?)
(Kathy: What is a coincidence?)

ROMANTIC CLICHÉS $800: Olden knights wore mementoes of their ladies pinned to their sleeves, not actual these as in the cliche
(Kathy: What are garters?)
(Molly: What are handkerchiefs?)
(Vince: What are tokens?)

WHAT'S THE ATTRACTION? $1000: Complete with a pyramid rising 79 feet above the main plaza, it's this ruined Maya city on the Yucatan Peninsula

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kathy: $3,400
Vince: $2,600
Molly: $2,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NUMBERS FOR BOOKIES (4/5)
SCIENCE STUFF (5/5)
POP MUSIC (4/5)
THE UNCIVIL WARS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POLITICAL TERMS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"MN" AT WORK (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Molly: 10 R, 2 W
Kathy: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Vince: 7 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kathy snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Molly had $10,400, Kathy had $9,800, and Vince was at $4,600. Kathy wagered $3,000.

POLITICAL TERMS $1200: Term for anyone nominated for office by delegates from his or her own state as a sentimental gesture

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Vince who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Molly had $13,600, Kathy had $11,600, and Vince was at $7,400. Vince wagered $3,000.

THE UNCIVIL WARS $2000: At the Battle of Lake Trasimene during the second of these wars, Hannibal's forces slaughtered 15,000 Romans

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POP MUSIC $800: Talk about being "big in" this country, its all-girl group AKB48 originally had 48 members!
(Molly: What is Korea?)

POLITICAL TERMS $1600: A funnel-shaped storage bin for grain gives us this term for the receptacle in which legislators place new bills
(Kathy: What is a silo?)

NUMBERS FOR BOOKIES $2000: "_, Charing Cross Road"
(Vince: What is 77?)
(Alex: You were off by 7; it's [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Molly: $13,600
Kathy: $11,600
Vince: $10,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AMERICANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Molly: Wager $9,601 to cover Kathy.
Kathy: You ought to wager to cover Vince, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $11,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,200 (to shut out Vince) or less than $7,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Vince). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Molly.
Vince: You ought to try wagering between $1,201 and $6,400. This will top a $0 wager by Kathy while still beating Molly and Kathy on the Triple Stumper (should Molly wager to cover Kathy's doubled score and Kathy wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1911 Glenn Curtiss received this document Number 1

FINAL SCORES
Vince: $10,400 - $8,000 = $2,400 (What is ["draft card" crossed out] SSC card) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kathy: $11,600 - $9,200 = $2,400 (What is a ["Social Security card" crossed out] income tax ret.?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Molly: $13,600 - $10,000 = $3,600 (What is the Verseille treaty?) (2-day champion: $26,600)
(Alex [after reading Vince's response]: It looks like a Social Security card; it looks like that was what you were going for.)
(Alex [after reading Kathy's response]: It looks like you were going for an income tax return, it looks like?)
(Kathy: That's what I was going for, but it was 1913, so...)
(Alex: No, Glenn Curtiss was an early aviation pioneer; he got the [*] No. 1; if you're interested, the Wright brothers got Nos. 4 and 5.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Molly: $13,600, 18 R, 5 W
Kathy: $9,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Vince: $9,400, 16 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $32,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Kathy: 19/59 = .322
Molly: 18/58 = .310
Vince: 16/60 = .267
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I'M ON A BOAT! $200: Toot, toot! I'm here to help
a fellow water traveler on this small, powerful ship.

I'M ON A BOAT! $400: Intrude rudely and name this spacious flat-bottomed vessel.

I'M ON A BOAT! $600: It's not trash, it's this boat with sails spread by battens seen here.

I'M ON A BOAT! $800: I'll take you where you need
to go on this boat, but singing ain't gonna happen.

FROM SOUP TO NUTS $400: Under the weather? Try chicken soup with these spheres of unleavened bread
(Vince: What are bread crumbs?)

FROM SOUP TO NUTS $600: Almost all of these nuts seen here unshelled and shelled come from wild trees in the Amazon basin.
(Kathy: What are almonds?)

FROM SOUP TO NUTS $1000: These nuts, black or English, are a classic accompaniment to port wine
(Vince: What are chestnuts?)

WHAT'S THE ATTRACTION? $200: Feast on spectacular views
of Paris from the Jules Verne Restaurant inside
this famous attraction.

HE'S SO MAN"LEY" $600: He was the Academy of Country Music's top male vocalist of the year for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010.

WHAT THEY ARE $600: Celadon & umber
(Molly: What are gems?)

SCIENCE STUFF $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows off some animal footage on the monitor.) The Greek for "imitator" gave us this term for the camouflage ability the octopus is exhibiting here

SCIENCE STUFF $1600: Let's get to the point--they're the stone formations rising from the floor of a wet cave
(Molly: What are stalactites?)

SCIENCE STUFF $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew is in the lab.) The soapy water over the tub expands because the dry ice in the bowl is undergoing this process, in which a solid is transformed directly into a gas

THE UNCIVIL WARS $1200: At the 1241 battle of the Sajo River, a horde of these Asiatic invaders annihilated a Hungarian army of more than 40,000
(Kathy: Who are the Huns?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
winds
a sloop
love at first sight
hearts
Chichen Itza
a "favorite son"
the Punic Wars
Japan
the hopper
a pilot's license
a tugboat
a barge
a junk
a gondola
matzo balls
Brazil nuts
walnuts
the Eiffel Tower
Brad Paisley
colors
mimicry
stalagmites
sublimation
the Mongols

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:39 pm

20th Century Americans
In 1911 Glenn Curtiss received this document number 1.

SpoilerShow
What is pilot's license? Vince was going for Social Security Card, but it was incomplete; Kathy was going for income tax return, but was also incomplete; Molly said the Verseille Treaty.

Molly Lalonde: $13,600-$10,000=$3,600...now a 2-day champion with $26,600
Kathy Haas: $11,600-$9,200=$2,400
Vince Balzano: $10,400-$8,000=$2,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:21 pm

That final was pretty tough; was the name of the person the main clue to lead you to "pilot's license"?

I was at one point anticipating a tie, assuming the champ made a larger wager.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:26 pm

15 and 16 for a $24,600 Coryat, no negs, only one clam (Kilimanjaro). Definitely one of my better games.

Had three 4/5s: Man"Ley" (NHO David E. Kelley), I'm on a boat (missed sloop), and Numbers for Bookies (NHO 84 Charing Cross). Also ran "MN" at Work.

Uncivil Wars was my only 0/5, an I thought What They Are was really tough as I got only $200.

London has an eye? News to me.

Finally, Don Henley isn't a TS!

I thought Lenny Kravitz was super super undervalued at $400.

Tickled to see Janet Evanovich in Bookies, since my mom, sister, and I are big fans of the Stephanie Plum series.

Not even a guess on FJ! I see this polling super-low.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:28 pm

DCrawshawJr wrote:That final was pretty tough; was the name of the person the main clue to lead you to "pilot's license"?
One of the most famous stamps in the world is the inverted Curtiss Jenny.

Needless to say, instaget FJ.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:29 pm

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

*sigh* I know, I shouldn't have expected good wagers.

WAGged the right answer based on the year. It seems like I should know that name, but if I ever did, it long ago slipped out of the memory banks.

ETA: What were the exact scores when he hit that DD (and btw, Punic Wars as a DD in the 2000 box when spotted Hannibal? Really J! writers??) I was hoping he'd go for the lead, but I'm not sure what would've been the optimal wager (though 3000 wasn't it).
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Leander

Post by Leander » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:31 pm

Really hard FJ, after 2 really easy ones. Income Tax return, SS card and drivers license ran through my mind. Knew the first two were wrong and was pretty sure the drivers license was too, but that's what I would have put down. Recognized Curtiss in hindsight, but was not getting this one.

esrever

Post by esrever » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:31 pm

The three players stumbled at first, but it was a good game after that (until FJ).

Picked up Lach trash: "sloop" ,"love at first sight", "Japan", "hopper"

Got FJ. It's not often that I get a FJ that all three players miss. I knew who Glenn Curtiss was.

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Well that was a ridiculous Final Jeopardy. Absolutely no TOM except the year. I went through Social Security card, telephone call, express mail letter, and a few others. Probably would have written down phone call just to have something. Veeeeeery curious to see how that does in the poll.

DJ was easier for me than it's been most days this week. Ran Science - my teachers would be proud.

NHO David Kelley - is he a household name?

Clammed on the Campbells clue. "Its" didn't make me think of a company or a brand.

I can hear Golf screaming from here about Vince's late DD wager.

Trash: sloop, love at first sight, Japan
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:33 pm

Most horribly-worded FJ of all time. Yikes.

And... how the flip do you go to two schools with tradition-rich programs and not see a single one of their games?!

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:40 pm

zakharov wrote:NHO David Kelley - is he a household name?

Oh yeah.

he's responsible for L.A. Law, Doogie Howser, M.D., Picket Fences, Chicago Hope, The Practice, Ally McBeal, Boston Public, Boston Legal, Harry's Law, and The Crazy Ones.

SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:43 pm

zakharov wrote: NHO David Kelley - is he a household name?
Famous TV show creator in the 90s and 00s. He's come up a few times, most recently: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... vid+kelley

Good factoid for him: he won Emmys for Best Comedy and Best Drama series the same year. Also married to Michelle Pfeiffer. Someone to know about if you're going to be a contestant.

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:43 pm

Never watched any of those shows. Feeling very TPH-like right now.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:46 pm

Too bad. LA Law, The Practice (in its prime, not so much the last couple of seasons), and Picket Fences are still some of my all-time favorites.

/nostalgia

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Sometimes I just want to throw the TV across the room.
A nonsensical bet on the final clue/DD.
A nonsensical bet on FJ.
Costs him the game.
Last edited by koozbane on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Go Molly the Good! That male contestant had what it took on the buzzer but seemed as likely to ring in with a wrong answer as a correct one.

FJ was a sort of instaget for me; I recognized Curtiss as an aviator but vacillated between pilot license and aircraft registration and realized the letters FAA would not be in the correct answer. But how did all three contestants wind up so far off the mark?

Were both of those $2000 holidays Jewish, because that was my answer.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:00 pm

I did well in this game. I got 23 out of 30 in DJ. In the J round, I went 21 for 25 in five of the categories, but 1 for 5 in "What They Are". I sometimes do poorly in categories that have very short clues -- those ramp up the quick-response, thinking-on-your-feet part of the game. I prefer the wordier clues that tend to have more hints to grab onto.

I missed this FJ. (I predict that today's and Monday's will be the two lowest polling ones of the week.) I wrote down "Social Security Number" just to say something, not really expecting it to be correct. For one thing, an SSN isn't a "document" (although I guess the card with the number is), and furthermore, I thought it was an FDR-era thing.

The name Glenn Curtiss didn't mean anything to me, so obviously that makes it harder. (People with common names have prevented certain trivia facts from sticking with me. It took me many many tries before I remembered the name of the guy who wrote "Silence of the Lambs".)

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:01 pm

The date + the implication that this is a commonly issued document led me to 50/50 between pilot's and driver's license. I went wrong, but at least (according to wikipedia) driver's license isn't far off :
On August 1, 1910, North America's first licensing law for motor vehicles went into effect in the US state of New York, though it initially applied only to professional chauffeurs.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:03 pm

This was a fun but tough board, except that "12 Angry Men" was way overvalued at $1600.

The game didn't start off well for me. The only clue in the "Boats" category that I knew was "gondola."

I got "Love at First Sight" from the Beatles TOM, but that clue was awful.

The only Fallout Boy song that I know is "Sugar, We're Goin Down," but I am happy to say that I was still able to get the clue on them from the Simpsons TOM :) The only other clue in the music category that I knew was "Hey Jealousy."

I would have wagered for the lead going into FJ on that last DD, and it would have worked out for me until I saw the FJ clue.

I had no guess on FJ, and I even considered the aviation angle. I agree with heelsrule that the wording was confusing, though I don't think that better wording would have helped me.