some peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

some peeves

Post by flemmingfan »

When A.T. remarks to the contestants, "You are all too young to remember........" So if one was not alive during the civil war for example. one is not supposed to know the answer?
When posters post their lach trash, I want to comment, "Well isn't that nice"
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Re: some peeves

Post by skullturf »

I agree that Alex Trebek is too quick to say things like "You are all too young to remember..."

Nevertheless, I think there is sometimes a grain of truth in that statement, even if Alex often introduces it awkwardly.

When it comes to something like the Civil War or Queen Victoria or Thomas Edison, we're all in a similar situation as each other. Whether you're 25 or 75, those are all just "history", and being older or younger isn't necessarily an advantage or a disadvantage in a really obvious way.

However, there are *some* things where that type of remark by Alex isn't as out of place. Certain things from popular culture, or things that were in the news but weren't quite front page news. There are topics like Freddie Prinze, or Hands Across America, or Jaws: The Revenge, or Supertramp, that aren't necessarily super important historically, and probably won't be remembered in 100 or 150 years, but they are nevertheless fair game for a trivia competition, and one of the most common ways of knowing them is simply remembering them, which only works if you were old enough in the 70s or 80s to be paying attention and have the thing stick in your head. Today's teenagers didn't learn about Freddie Prinze or Supertramp in history class, but if you're 45 years old, you just remember those things because of being alive at the right time.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

flemmingfan wrote: When posters post their lach trash, I want to comment, "Well isn't that nice"
Lach Trash, like the Coryat, is a good way of judging how you'd do on the show. While I'm not one to advertise much my Coryat (which I do, nonetheless keep track of) or Lach Trashes (which I don't track), I definitely understand those who do.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Ditto to both skullturf and dhk.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

flemmingfan wrote:When A.T. remarks to the contestants, "You are all too young to remember........" So if one was not alive during the civil war for example. one is not supposed to know the answer?
Agree about the "too young to remember". Lach trash: eh, I like bragging. 8-)

Sometimes, I don't like it when guests reading the clue take a longer amount of time, which might prevent the full 30 from being revealed.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

My future pet peeve is when the post-Alex host says "I guess it was a bit after your time".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Lefty wrote:My future pet peeve is when the post-Alex host says "I guess it was a bit after your time".
That happens to me a lot because almost everything pop-culture-wise from the early 90's forward IS "after my time".

Here's a little quiz question. Pop culture from the last 10-20 years is lost on me for the most part because:

A) I don't listen to rock n' roll or recent country or pop music if I can help it.
B) I hardly ever watch TV anymore except for live sports and Jeopardy!.
C) I've never had or watched HBO at all.
D) All of the above and more.

If you guessed D, you are correct and win... Absolutely nothing. :)
uctriton00

Post by uctriton00 »

My pet peeve is always going to be spelling judgements in Final Jeopardy. Just require correct spelling already.

There was the infamous "Emanciptation Proclamation" penalized, while this year we had "Led Zepplin" go through correctly.
DPP

Post by DPP »

flemmingfan wrote:When A.T. remarks to the contestants, "You are all too young to remember........" So if one was not alive during the civil war for example. one is not supposed to know the answer?
Has Alex ever said this when the clue was about the Civil War or anything from the 19th Century or earlier? I've only heard him say it for things that happened roughly 20 to 60 years ago. There are certain things (like pop culture) that a person may remember better if the person actually experienced them (as opposed to studying them without having experienced them).
flemmingfan wrote:When posters post their lach trash, I want to comment, "Well isn't that nice"
I enjoy reading the Lach Trash reports from the posters who give them, because I can see how well I did in getting Lach Trash when compared to others, and also how hard the triple stumpers actually are. If a triple stumper is not reported as Lach Trash (or by very few), then that's a pretty good indicator of a really tough clue.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

uctriton00 wrote:My pet peeve is always going to be spelling judgements in Final Jeopardy. Just require correct spelling already.

There was the infamous "Emanciptation Proclamation" penalized, while this year we had "Led Zepplin" go through correctly.
Are you being ironic or British? Judgments in the US, not sure about Canada
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The TV audience cannot see the clue and category at the same time because the clue fills the whole screen with nothing else. I realize this would not be a problem if I could pay attention better, but the fact is I don't and I sometimes need a reminder. I guess if you're practicing to be a contestant the additional on-screen help might feel like a cheat, but we're not all contestants.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

uctriton00 wrote:My pet peeve is always going to be spelling judgements in Final Jeopardy. Just require correct spelling already.

I agree. The problems all stem from drawing the line at how much incorrectness is acceptable. Just require correct spelling andll the problems go away.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

billy pilgrim wrote:

I agree. The problems all stem from drawing the line at how much incorrectness is acceptable. Just require correct spelling andll the problems go away.
Or just understand how the FJ spelling rule works: if it can be pronounced correctly the way it's spelled, it's correct.

There is no 'pt' sound in 'emancipation'. 'zep-lin' is an accepted pronunciation for 'zeppelin'

Admittedly, I don't expect to see someone getting away using 'ghoti' for 'fish', but it really is quite simple.
Don't look at the letters. Sound it out.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote:
Admittedly, I don't expect to see someone getting away using 'ghoti' for 'fish', but it really is quite simple.
*cough*
Volante

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote:
Volante wrote:
*cough*
<Wolfcastle>That's the joke.</Wolfcastle>
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

skullturf wrote:I agree that Alex Trebek is too quick to say things like "You are all too young to remember..."

Nevertheless, I think there is sometimes a grain of truth in that statement, even if Alex often introduces it awkwardly.

When it comes to something like the Civil War or Queen Victoria or Thomas Edison, we're all in a similar situation as each other. Whether you're 25 or 75, those are all just "history", and being older or younger isn't necessarily an advantage or a disadvantage in a really obvious way.

However, there are *some* things where that type of remark by Alex isn't as out of place. Certain things from popular culture, or things that were in the news but weren't quite front page news. There are topics like Freddie Prinze, or Hands Across America, or Jaws: The Revenge, or Supertramp, that aren't necessarily super important historically, and probably won't be remembered in 100 or 150 years, but they are nevertheless fair game for a trivia competition, and one of the most common ways of knowing them is simply remembering them, which only works if you were old enough in the 70s or 80s to be paying attention and have the thing stick in your head. Today's teenagers didn't learn about Freddie Prinze or Supertramp in history class, but if you're 45 years old, you just remember those things because of being alive at the right time.
Yes, you have a point but if we "are too young to remember", then why ask us?
While we are at it, I get a kick out of all this studying/cramming and then a category comes up "in a boat" or something like that which turns out to be common knowledge- you either know it or you don't. As you point out this is trivia along with quick thinking which is what makes the show entertaining to me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

flemmingfan wrote:Yes, you have a point but if we "are too young to remember", then why ask us?
Because there are other ways of coming by that knowledge. Think of it as a shorter way of saying, "You are all too young to have the advantage of being able to remember the event/personality/whatever when it was common knowledge."

Recently, there was a clue with a picture of Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat. The clue went, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah identify these two men blah blah blah." If you're my age (48) or older and grew up in the US in an education-oriented environment, you know who those men are. You just know. If you're younger, you should still know. They're fair game for Jeopardy! But they are less likely to be part of the information you have effortlessly absorbed.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
flemmingfan wrote:Yes, you have a point but if we "are too young to remember", then why ask us?
Because there are other ways of coming by that knowledge. Think of it as a shorter way of saying, "You are all too young to have the advantage of being able to remember the event/personality/whatever when it was common knowledge."

Recently, there was a clue with a picture of Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat. The clue went, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah identify these two men blah blah blah." If you're my age (48) or older and grew up in the US in an education-oriented environment, you know who those men are. You just know. If you're younger, you should still know. They're fair game for Jeopardy! But they are less likely to be part of the information you have effortlessly absorbed.
So, the next time Alex says "You're too foreign to remember", I'll know he's looking at me.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:

The catch there, though, is back in the day, they were prominently on the news. You could see them.
I know who those two are, but only from text. Harder to ID from photo alone.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

mxc_takeshi wrote:
Agree about the "too young to remember". Lach trash: eh, I like bragging. 8-)

Sometimes, I don't like it when guests reading the clue take a longer amount of time, which might prevent the full 30 from being revealed.
I also get annoyed at players who
a) take too long to peruse the board before choosing a clue
b) insist on reading the entire category title instead of shortening it to one or two words