Tuesday, June 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by The Talking Mime »

Bamaman wrote:If Molly wins tomorrow, we will have 16 five time champs/tournament winners. The last time we had too many five timers than they needed for the TOC, did they bump the lowest earning winners or did they bump the last ones to qualify?
Alan Bailey and Mark Dawson won 5 games before the 2001 ToC, but the field was already full so hey got bumped to the 2003 ToC instead. On that note, it should be interesting to see what happens ToC-wise if Molly wins a fifth game tomorrow, especially with the five game limit removed.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For the Nevada anniversary clue.....It said they are celebrating it in 2014. The centennial would have been 1914, which would be too recent and 1814 was too early for a state out west. So 1864 was really the only option for statehood.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:For the Nevada anniversary clue.....It said they are celebrating it in 2014. The centennial would have been 1914, which would be too recent and 1814 was too early for a state out west. So 1864 was really the only option for statehood.
I still thought it was tricky, since 100 and 200 are usually the only "big" anniversaries they go for at $200. Obviously they'd take "150" instead of "sesquicentennial", but I know I got tripped up when the two most obvious choices for a $200 clue were both negged.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I agree it was a bit tricky and probably should have been worth more than the one where they were going for the capital, although that one did not specify it was the capital today.

Did Alex not allow Jason to have a second chance when he said airplane for the inverted stamp clue? The word airplane or plane did not appear in the clue, but Alex just said he needed to be more specific and kind of brushed him off. I agree he needed to give more than just airplane, but it was weird they just threw it right back up to the other players.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Capital cities of, like, the ten most populous countries in the world might be a good thing to review on the flight to LA.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not sure why Cindy rang in on the next to last clue, even if she got it and the DD, she isn't catching Molly and she had second place locked up. K was hoping Jason would chime in with some wild guess so we'd have a single player FJ.
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

Bamaman wrote: Did Alex not allow Jason to have a second chance when he said airplane for the inverted stamp clue? The word airplane or plane did not appear in the clue, but Alex just said he needed to be more specific and kind of brushed him off. I agree he needed to give more than just airplane, but it was weird they just threw it right back up to the other players.
The "No, you need to be more specific--Molly or Cindy?" thing bugged us too--we even rewound to see if there was evidence of a cut, but there didn't seem to be. I knew it was the Jenny, but I wonder if my Husband's answer of "biplane" would have been BMSed (with or without a chance to actually be more specific)
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

That whole game was easy. For me. Especially FJ. But YMMV. I was surprised that no one got "travertine", but then, that's just one of the things I happen to know as opposed to not knowing, which made it easy.

As for African capitals, I mean, come on now, "capital cities" is one of those categories that Jeopardists are supposed to have down cold, along with US Presidents and a handful of others.

The first Sphynx cat, named Prune, was born a few blocks south of where I live, in an alley on my fairly short street in Toronto, not in 1975, but in either 1963 or 1966. Roncesvalles Ave is famous as the home of possibly the creepiest-looking cat breed there is.

As for "Welsh Rarebit", it's really "Welsh Rabbit". My possibly imperfect understanding of the history of the term is that way back when, Welshmen caught poaching game (including rabbits) on the King's land were routinely hanged on the spot. In a sort of rueful act of anti-authoritarian defiance, the Welsh referred to their cheese and bread dish as "rabbit", just to stick it to the King. The name was corrupted later on to "rarebit" by someone who just didn't get the joke.

As Ambrose Bierce defined it in The Devil's Dictionary, "rarebit" is "a Welsh rabbit, in the speech of the humorless, who point out that it is not a rabbit. To whom it may be solemnly explained that the comestible known as toad in the hole is really not a toad, and that ris de veau à la financière is not the smile of a calf prepared after the recipe of a she-banker."

The grammarian HW Fowler, in his Modern English Usage, put it more succinctly: "Welsh Rabbit is amusing and right. Welsh Rarebit is stupid and wrong."
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I easily got Sagan, just like I easily got his book "Cosmos" from a clue in another game a few weeks ago. :)

Got Jenny as soon as I read "1918 error" and didn't need the rest. Heard Jason's "wizarding" and replayed it four times to be sure. I didn't know if they would overturn it and was happy they did. He also spoke so fast on "Animal House" I wasn't sure what he actually said even after multiple replays.

A lot of suicidal guesses from the non-winners made a rather odd game, such as Jason responding with airplane when the clue is asking for this plane.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

I'll also add that I am also glad they overturned "wizarding."

Let me put it like this. If they made a Harry Potter Jeopardy, I would be, if not the Ken Jennings of that, then perhaps the Arthur Chu. Whether or not that's to be proud of is another matter.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Here is the clue: A 1918 error produced the valuable "inverted" this; a 2013 stamp has the plane upside down on purpose.

When Alex said no to Jason's airplane I do not think he was giving him a second chance. No means no. Nor was he helping the other contestants by saying it needs to be more specific because the clue itself tells you it's an upside down plane which requires something more specific than airplane.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

How did that darn weak pair of challengers get on the show and pass the test? They were way worse than TPH or any celeb who made the semis of MDCI, and even I, who does not see how one could ever pass the test, would not neg so badly. Molly has been lucky, whether to get those particular challengers, get categories on Hamlet and glands, or to not recognize Faith Love and bet $0.

5/5 in Africa, shouldn't the contestants have reviewed those in preparation? Did poorly on the rest of DJ!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

cosmos wrote:Here is the clue: A 1918 error produced the valuable "inverted" this; a 2013 stamp has the plane upside down on purpose.

When Alex said no to Jason's airplane I do not think he was giving him a second chance. No means no. Nor was he helping the other contestants by saying it needs to be more specific because the clue itself tells you it's an upside down plane which requires something more specific than airplane.
Thanks, I forgot about the second part of the answer where they mentioned the reprint.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

countyguy wrote:How did that darn weak pair of challengers get on the show and pass the test? They were way worse than TPH or any celeb who made the semis of MDCI...
MDCI… MDCI… umm… 1601?

It took me a minute or so to realize that "TPH" wasn't Teal Patrick Harris.
Last edited by DHicton on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

There actually is a Jimi Hendrix stamp. It's just that it went on sale this year, not 1992. And sadly there is no "old Hendrix" portrait for America to vote on.

By the way, the Blue Angels are based at Pensacola, Florida.

J! will not be aired on Thursday and Friday on my local affiliate due to a golf tournament. I must wait until Saturday to see those games. At least I'll know before then if Molly qualifies for the ToC. Or maybe not if there are too many five-game winners?
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

cosmos wrote:I easily got Sagan, just like I easily got his book "Cosmos" from a clue in another game a few weeks ago. :)

Got Jenny as soon as I read "1918 error" and didn't need the rest. Heard Jason's "wizarding" and replayed it four times to be sure. I didn't know if they would overturn it and was happy they did. He also spoke so fast on "Animal House" I wasn't sure what he actually said even after multiple replays.

A lot of suicidal guesses from the non-winners made a rather odd game, such as Jason responding with airplane when the clue is asking for this plane.
"Jenny" was the one I didn't get in that round. I said "biplane".
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

cosmos wrote:
J! will not be aired on Thursday and Friday on my local affiliate due to a golf tournament. I must wait until Saturday to see those games. At least I'll know before then if Molly qualifies for the ToC. Or maybe not if there are too many five-game winners?
"A" golf tournament? It's a bit more than that! :D
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

DHicton wrote:MDCI… MDCI… umm… 1601?
Million Dollar Celebrity Invitational.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

teapot37 wrote:
DHicton wrote:MDCI… MDCI… umm… 1601?
Million Dollar Celebrity Invitational.
Thanks.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

RKane wrote:I'll also add that I am also glad they overturned "wizarding."

Let me put it like this. If they made a Harry Potter Jeopardy, I would be, if not the Ken Jennings of that, then perhaps the Arthur Chu. Whether or not that's to be proud of is another matter.
I agree. He didn't even say it in the right order-it's Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
While I don't think I'm the Ken Jennings of Harry Potter, I think I know enough about it to do quite well if there was a TD or trivia quiz on it. I have some friends that would give you a run for your money, though.