Thursday, June 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Re: Thursday, June 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by countyguy »

Category 13 wrote:
countyguy wrote:.....He might even be one of those people who thinks it is a massive coincidence when someone wins by $1 or $2.
Highly unlikely for true contestant caliber players, IMO. And he, being a detective, has to have somewhat of a calibrating mind.

My father who is 88, and having slight dementia problems, has the 'reaction' you speak of.
Dig through the comments for this video on YouTube and see that plenty of people have that reaction...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Ends in Double Letter.

Lach Trash: Apogee, ytterbium.

How was "apogee" a TS but not "perigee"? :?: :?: :?:

I had 0/14 at the first break. Ancient History was totally over my head, and the political clues weren't hard at all, but they just weren't clicking. But I made up for it in the second half of the J! round by getting 12 of the 16 remaining clues.

What was with the weird edit after the first clue? "What is the Acropolis?" [jump cut to Alex] "The Acropolis is the hill the Parthenon is one of the hills." [audio hiccup, rest sounds like it was added in post] "Yes, Darren, go."

I wouldn't have guessed Lady Liberty on Montana for $400 if you'd given me a month. A hint that they wanted a fictional lady would've helped IMO.

I assume "kick it" is acceptable on Blank It for $2000? It fits the "___ it old school" TOM as well as "chill", and it actually gives me a lot more direct results on Google than "chill" does.

Monongahela was my only get in Montana. For that, I thank The Oak Ridge Boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mo6UkNZcX0

====
xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ, but if you don't know who George Romero is, you're pretty much screwed.
Or you could be like me and know who George Romero is, and still have no bleeping clue because you've never heard of The Walking Dead. This is the first time in ages that I've had one of those "halfway there" moments.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: How was "apogee" a TS but not "perigee"? :?: :?: :?:
Well, I missed "apogee", but got perigee because I knew perihelion and aphelion, and caught on to the peri-/ap- prefixes, because apogee was first.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

NoName84 wrote:
CrunchyTaco wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote: And am I the only one who negged with "Earth in the balance" instead of "An inconvenient truth" for the particular Al Gore book they were asking about?
Nope...
Nope...
I said it, too.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

hscer wrote:If Katie bets to just cover Joe, Darren's wager does win. I take it that wasn't his thought process, though. That said, even if his wager was incorrect, it does demonstrate why I'd always bet to cover from first in regular play.

And yeah, George Romero meant nothing to me. I tried Game of Thrones.
Darren 16,000
Katie 15,200
Joe 9,000

2x 9,000=18,000
18,000-15,200=2,800
15,200-2,800=12,400

Darren bet 4,000. 16,000-4,000=12,000

12,400>12,000 Katie wins a triple stumper if she bets to cover Joe and Darren bet 4,000 to.....to.....to..... heck if I know what his rational was.
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

NoName84 wrote:Needed two words to get FJ!, although I precalled Downton Abbey.
I actually guessed Downtown Abbey!
Leander

Post by Leander »

I thought FJ might be a trick question since The Walking Dead seemed so obvious. I briefly considered the HBO vampire show True Blood, which is even soapier, but figured they were going for the show which is a bigger pop culture phenomenon these days.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Knew who Romero was, so got FJ pretty quickly.

Lach Trash: Ytterbium.

Got all 3 Joe Montanas, but neither Helena. Only category I ran was National Film Registry. Should've gotten more of the kids' songs, but couldn't pull them out quickly enough.

Kept wondering what someone might say if they drew a blank after buzzing in on ______ it. :D
Sheepin' it real.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Katie is a deserving and vivacious champion; she dominated the Jeopardy round but Darren took advantage of both daily doubles in DJ to pass her. (That Tarzana clue was also a DD in 2006, under "Ashes to Ashes".) Katie was faster on the buzzer. Her $1200 neg with Jefferson on the quote in the security category cost her the lead going into FJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How was "apogee" a TS but not "perigee"? :?: :?: :?:
Easy, for the first one, they couldn't' decide between apogee and perigee, so they clammed. (I also wasn't sure, but I decided to ring in because I was sure enough about "apogee"). On the second clue, "apogee" was already eliminated, making the choice a lot easier. Simple.

I was hoping to not reply to this thread, lest I felt the need to share my incredibly stupid response, but I was wracking my brain as to who Romero was. I know I'd heard the name, but couldn't put my finger on where. I had the idea he had something to do with the Twilight Zone, so sci-fi maybe? And I remember Star Trek being called a "space opera", so in it went (although I wasn't comfortable thinking of "Star Trek" as "recent TV". Hey, it was better than the second choice I had (and I'm not even sure why I considered this as much as I did), "Glee". OK, you can stop laughing now. Seriously, stop. Look, you're starting to hurt my feelings. Hey, it wasn't that bad of a gu - *will you knock it off already*???
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You may be thinking of Caesar Romero, who was the Joker on the old Batman TV show.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Actually, AP, it's pretty obvious that my guess of 85% is WAY too high and your guess is looking a bit high, too ...
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:Actually, AP, it's pretty obvious that my guess of 85% is WAY too high and your guess is looking a bit high, too ...
Apparently. I have never so much as seen an episode of The Walking Dead, but I've been alive for the past three years or so, so I've heard of it.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

jeopardyhopeful wrote:
This is no form -- 3rd place isn't locked out.
Ahhhh...OK, then I need to study this more. I thought it was strong because 3rd place had more than twice the difference of 1st and 2nd.
I am putting together a primer here: http://thefinalwager.co/shores/

Part One is done and discusses the various Forms and requirements.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
hscer

Post by hscer »

danspartan wrote:
hscer wrote:If Katie bets to just cover Joe, Darren's wager does win. I take it that wasn't his thought process, though. That said, even if his wager was incorrect, it does demonstrate why I'd always bet to cover from first in regular play.

And yeah, George Romero meant nothing to me. I tried Game of Thrones.
Darren 16,000
Katie 15,200
Joe 9,000

2x 9,000=18,000
18,000-15,200=2,800
15,200-2,800=12,400

Darren bet 4,000. 16,000-4,000=12,000

12,400>12,000 Katie wins a triple stumper if she bets to cover Joe and Darren bet 4,000 to.....to.....to..... heck if I know what his rational was.
If they both get it right, I meant. So yeah, I guess $3500 would have been justifiable, but $4000 is plain bad.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Instaget FJ; it probably didn't hurt that I watched Shaun of the Dead today. :)
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

For the $2K Political Authors clue, would the mere existence of Rand Paul lead to a BMS for an answer of just "Paul," even though Rand hasn't yet run for President?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I can't imagine Katie would have had to audition more than once to get the call. She knew some sports, some Bible and Current Television. She's okay in my book.

In the other thread I posted about recently adding a 1986 game to the archive. In it there was a guess of the Parthenon for the acropolis. 28 years later...

Only 17 in the J! round for me, but 23/28 in the DJ! round including a rare sweep for me of the $2000 clues in regular play.

Current Television looked very promising to me for the Final category once I realized it was not Current TV and something Al Jazeera-ish. Plus Gore had already been used, so I knew I was in good shape as long as the clue was not How I Met Your Biggest Loser Castle SVU.

Yeseterday's thread had a discussion about instagets. Whatever period from 5-10 seconds yesterday took divide it by 10 for tonight's clue. George Ro... Done!

Darren is no Frank Spangenberg. That was a tough way to throw away $28,401.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ, but if you don't know who George Romero is, you're pretty much screwed.
Or you could be like me and know who George Romero is, and still have no bleeping clue because you've never heard of The Walking Dead. This is the first time in ages that I've had one of those "halfway there" moments.
I guess it's the summertime blues. From the April 10 game thread you had an easy run of TV Adjectives including:

Set in an apocalyptic world:
"The ___ Dead"

The show was also used in a clue in February.

Yeah, I know that's my one for June.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

I couldn't Coryat tonight's game because the basketball "game" ran over tonight, and even though my local station shunted Jeopardy! to 10pm PDT (as opposed to the usual 7pm), they decided that Jeopardy! would be the show to have a few minutes cut off and I missed most of the clues before the first break. So I had to do old-school yelling at the TV, right or wrong without keeping track. Given that, I felt pretty good most of the time. I totally spaced FJ, though, since I've grown into a pattern of not watching much modern TV.
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Austin Powers wrote:
econgator wrote:Actually, AP, it's pretty obvious that my guess of 85% is WAY too high and your guess is looking a bit high, too ...
Apparently. I have never so much as seen an episode of The Walking Dead, but I've been alive for the past three years or so, so I've heard of it.
Same here, though I do have the PC game. When they've released blu-rays of the show, it's been pretty much everywhere in retail ads and websites. Instaget for me, but I think the George Romero clue was key -- also got 'apogee' (though I stumbled on 'perigee' -- guess I just haven't heard it used as often). I like the new champ, she seemed super excited (and probably shocked) about winning. Hope she continues as she does seem to have a good knowlege base.