SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote:
gnash wrote:I believe Die Fledermaus is usually considered an operetta, but I'm not complaining.

Also, I never understood why its title is never translated to English. What is the source of the Anglophone Germanotranslatophobia? Of course, if it were normally translated, the clue would have belonged in Stupid Answers.
I dunno, anecdotally I think I see/hear "Twilight of the Gods" more than "Götterdämmerung".
Edit: Also, The Flying Dutchman. (Der fliegende Holländer)

Anyway, "Die Fledermaus" just rocks as a title. Say it. Now, say it in angry stereotypical faux-German. ISN'T THAT AWESOME?! The weenie title of "The Bat" simply pales in comparison.
I also think that American opera-going audiences would be less likely to see a production of "The Bat" than they are of "Die Fledermaus."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: I also think that American opera-going audiences would be less likely to see a production of "The Bat" than they are of "Die Fledermaus."
American opera-going audiences would see a production called "Frank the Amoeba" if it had the pedigree of "La Boheme." There are still some intelligent people out there.

American audiences in general, they may get scared off...that or they'll think it's about Batman. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Volante wrote:
Woof wrote: I also think that American opera-going audiences would be less likely to see a production of "The Bat" than they are of "Die Fledermaus."
American opera-going audiences would see a production called "Frank the Amoeba" if it had the pedigree of "La Boheme." There are still some intelligent people out there.

American audiences in general, they may get scared off...that or they'll think it's about Batman. :lol:
Or Bat-Boy. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_Boy:_The_Musical
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I don't know what would be the audience reaction to "The Bat" (I suspect it could become a Halloween staple), but wouldn't at least students of economic history / political economy / history of philosophy be content enough to read "Capital"? Also, I understand that "Wolf of the Steppe", "Plains Wolf" or "Prairie Wolf" (or even "Lone Wolf") would all be lame rock band names, but any of them would make a fine title for a work of literature.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Budphrey wrote:Well, rats, I guessed Dan Jansen, remembering the story about his sister's illness and untimely death ... intuiting that perhaps that might have inspired him to become a physician after he was done with skating. I was just off by, oh, more than a decade ...
That was the name I was trying to remember. He was the only non-current (or non-recent; dunno what Ohno's up to now) male speed skater I could think of; I knew he was wrong, but I went crazy trying to think of his name, and gave up. I could picture his ugly (grey and orange?) outfit, I knew the story about his sister's death, and I just couldn't remember what he was called.

Best of luck, DoT.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Thanks, DoT, for posting the rest of this week's clues tonight. We all hope that you feel better soon.

I had a lot of wheelhouse categories this week but not much to show for them. That's the way it goes.
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

I also want to thank you, DoT, for continuing with the SHC when you are having personal issues. Utterly selfish of me, I know, to be so glad.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Well, I don't exactly know what's going on with DoT beyond a gall bladder mention, but I appreciate you putting up the clues all early. Hope everything goes well for you, whatever is up.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was expecting someone to screw up the Florida lake with Okeefenokee, but it hasn't happened yet. And I may be the only one to guess on the fish-tailed goat that didn't let the word "goat" sway me to Capricorn!

Also, it seemed whenever I watched Jeopardy or played the SHC in the past, if my instinct was to guess the Caucasus, the Urals would be the correct response. So I learned my lesson and changed my tune at the perfect wrong time!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Oh, so breaststroke is one word and butterfly stroke is two words. That's good to know now, too late. Being the typical American that only watches swimming once every four years I can never remember which stroke gets the frog kick and which one gets the dolphin kick.
alamble

Post by alamble »

BTW, DoT, it was Hera, not Juno, who set Cancer in the sky. Getting the Greeks and Romans mixed up again. I was thisclose to guessing Ganymede, too, and wussed out at the last minute. Damn, damn, damn. Not that it matters, because I biffed on Capricorn.
Woof

Post by Woof »

alamble wrote:BTW, DoT, it was Hera, not Juno, who set Cancer in the sky. Getting the Greeks and Romans mixed up again. I was thisclose to guessing Ganymede, too, and wussed out at the last minute. Damn, damn, damn. Not that it matters, because I biffed on Capricorn.
Well, perhaps it's some consolation, then, that the Capricorn clue was a bit botched inasmuch as it was Pan, not Bacchus, who changed himself into Capricorn(us). The goat connection makes even more sense in that context.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Woof wrote:
alamble wrote:BTW, DoT, it was Hera, not Juno, who set Cancer in the sky. Getting the Greeks and Romans mixed up again. I was thisclose to guessing Ganymede, too, and wussed out at the last minute. Damn, damn, damn. Not that it matters, because I biffed on Capricorn.
Well, perhaps it's some consolation, then, that the Capricorn clue was a bit botched inasmuch as it was Pan, not Bacchus, who changed himself into Capricorn(us). The goat connection makes even more sense in that context.
That, I think, is enough of a problem to prompt an RQ. The Greek/Roman aspects of the same god(dess), maybe not so much a big deal, but Pan and Bacchus are not even close to being the same deity, and Bacchus is Roman, while Pan is Greek. I understand that DoT will be off the grid the rest of this week, but hopefully day one of next week he can get it done.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I had never heard of any legend of Pan or Bacchus (or Dionysos) transforming into the Capricorn -- the legend I was familiar with was that it was the creature that had suckled Zeus -- but the goat TOM was too much to pass up.

Hope you're back with us soon, DoT -- and that you're not sporting what might be called an outseam!
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,

DoT, I hope all goes well for you and that if a recovery is necessary, may it be brief and mild. Thank you for continuing the SHC tradition in spite of personal concerns.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Oh, so breaststroke is one word and butterfly stroke is two words. That's good to know now, too late. Being the typical American that only watches swimming once every four years I can never remember which stroke gets the frog kick and which one gets the dolphin kick.
I couldn't describe the breaststroke if my life depended on it, but I have luckily watched enough Olympics to know that the Butterfly and Backstroke both move at a pretty quick pace, while the Breaststroke is just insanely slow, with the swimmers having to bob their heads up out of the water constantly, rather than, you know, swimming. The breaststroke has also been the source of a few controversial decisions, because it seems to be the only stroke where the judges have to watch closely to make sure that the swimmers are performing the required motions, because if they forgo those required motions, they can go a whole lot faster. Japanese swimmer Kosuke Kitajima won both the 100 and 200 meter mens' breaststroke races in 2004 and 2008, and in one of the 2004 races, underwater cameras showed that he was using an illegal dolphin kick, but officials allowed the results to stand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alamble wrote:That, I think, is enough of a problem to prompt an RQ.
I disagree. The clue asked for the zodiac sign with the head of a goat and tail of a fish. There's only one -- Capricorn. Whether the clue mentioned Bacchus or Pan or Mike Tyson becoming it isn't relevant.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
alamble wrote:That, I think, is enough of a problem to prompt an RQ.
I disagree. The clue asked for the zodiac sign with the head of a goat and tail of a fish. There's only one -- Capricorn. Whether the clue mentioned Bacchus or Pan or Mike Tyson becoming it isn't relevant.
Game precedence: if part of the clue is wrong, the clue is wrong.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Game precedence: if part of the clue is wrong, the clue is wrong.
Maybe so, but it's wasting DoT's time to 1) rule on it, 2) make up a RQ, 3) grade all those RQs, and 4) go back to everyone's score sheet and adjust. There's no other possible answer it could have been. I say just deal with it and move on.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Well, except that the the constellation is called Cancer, which is Latin, so Juno fits better.

Didn't help me... I thought of Scorpio and Canis, never got to the crab. This is the second time in this SHC that I risk being exiled from Maryland.