SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by gnash »

econgator wrote:
alamble wrote:That, I think, is enough of a problem to prompt an RQ.
I disagree. The clue asked for the zodiac sign with the head of a goat and tail of a fish. There's only one -- Capricorn. Whether the clue mentioned Bacchus or Pan or Mike Tyson becoming it isn't relevant.
Agreed. Plus, mixing up Greek and Roman gods - as well as Greek and Latin words - has been a perennial feature of Jeopardy!

Oh, yeah, and Capricorn is also Latin (as are all Zodiac signs), so insisting on Greek characters in this context really makes no sense.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I suspect the Irish would not be happy to hear that Beckett belongs in British lit. Also, he wrote most of his famous works in French (although he did translate most of them to English himself).
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

I was going to comment on that as well...my "Irish Lit" course in university was basically just 4 months of Beckett and Joyce.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gnash wrote:This is the second time in this SHC that I risk being exiled from Maryland.
We'll just sprinkle some Old Bay on the wound.
Ivan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Ivan »

My best wishes for DoT. Hope, he'll recover soon and without any consequences. I adore his dedication to the game, to SHC, to us. It is definitely very time- and energy-consuming, but he continues his proect at the highest level of quality. I don't think, it is neccesary to bother him with RQs on Days 4 5 & 6 because mistakes in clues (if any) are minor and insignificant. Eventually, SHC is not a competition in the full sence of the word. It is a game with elements of competition. It is aimed at checking and enhancing our knowledge and thinking, at stimulating us for further research and filling blank spots in our knowldge. And that's why I believe that RQs are necessary only in cases of huge, terrible mistakes.

ETA. Today's sets of clues were wonderful. They primarily focused on international areas of knowledge and even language categories (2-letter words & "OK") were not as brutal as I expected. The clues about D.H. Lawrence's book and Table Mt. are just magnificent. It's a great pleasure to spend a summer days solving puzzles like those.
billiej

Post by billiej »

So evidently I'm the only one who's never heard "advantage" shortened to "ad" in tennis?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

billiej wrote:So evidently I'm the only one who's never heard "advantage" shortened to "ad" in tennis?
I've never heard of 'advantage' in tennis period. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alamble

Post by alamble »

gnash wrote:
econgator wrote:
alamble wrote:That, I think, is enough of a problem to prompt an RQ.
I disagree. The clue asked for the zodiac sign with the head of a goat and tail of a fish. There's only one -- Capricorn. Whether the clue mentioned Bacchus or Pan or Mike Tyson becoming it isn't relevant.
Agreed. Plus, mixing up Greek and Roman gods - as well as Greek and Latin words - has been a perennial feature of Jeopardy!

Oh, yeah, and Capricorn is also Latin (as are all Zodiac signs), so insisting on Greek characters in this context really makes no sense.
If the explanation behind the naming of the constellation is based in myth, then it does make sense, because it's not always a one-to-one exchange between the Greek and Roman pantheons. And just because the J! writers get it wrong, doesn't make it okay here. If you're going to use the myth as a TOM, and you get the myth wrong, it's a bad clue. Otherwise, just drop the myth part of the clue entirely, which negates the whole purpose of the category.
billiej wrote:So evidently I'm the only one who's never heard "advantage" shortened to "ad" in tennis?
That is how it is abbreviated on the scoreboards on the TV broadcasts. On site, it's denoted as either "Ad" or "A" depending on the type of scoreboard used.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

It's been used as long as I can remember. The right-hand service court (from the server's POV) is often referred to as the "ad court" because that's the court you're serving to when you or your opponent is in an "advantage" situation.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I've never heard it called an "ad," but my knowledge of tennis consists of what little I picked up in one high school gym class. Right up there with golf on my list of sports that are fatally dull, to me.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote: Game precedence: if part of the clue is wrong, the clue is wrong.
Maybe so, but it's wasting DoT's time to 1) rule on it, 2) make up a RQ, 3) grade all those RQs, and 4) go back to everyone's score sheet and adjust. There's no other possible answer it could have been. I say just deal with it and move on.
QFT
Peggles

Post by Peggles »

Ivan wrote:My best wishes for DoT. Hope, he'll recover soon and without any consequences. I adore his dedication to the game, to SHC, to us. It is definitely very time- and energy-consuming, but he continues his proect at the highest level of quality. I don't think, it is neccesary to bother him with RQs on Days 4 5 & 6 because mistakes in clues (if any) are minor and insignificant. Eventually, SHC is not a competition in the full sence of the word. It is a game with elements of competition. It is aimed at checking and enhancing our knowledge and thinking, at stimulating us for further research and filling blank spots in our knowldge. And that's why I believe that RQs are necessary only in cases of huge, terrible mistakes.

ETA. Today's sets of clues were wonderful. They primarily focused on international areas of knowledge and even language categories (2-letter words & "OK") were not as brutal as I expected. The clues about D.H. Lawrence's book and Table Mt. are just magnificent. It's a great pleasure to spend a summer days solving puzzles like those.

Well said, sir!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
It's been used as long as I can remember. The right-hand service court (from the server's POV) is often referred to as the "ad court" because that's the court you're serving to when you or your opponent is in an "advantage" situation.

And in playing tennis, it's common to use "ad in" and "ad out" rather than the more cumbersome "advantage in" and "advantage out."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I thought about it, but since the Wii abbreviates it "Adv.", and that's really the only tennis I watch or play ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:And in playing tennis, it's common to use "ad in" and "ad out" rather than the more cumbersome "advantage in" and "advantage out."
*nod* That's the only time I've ever used it -- when I am actually playing tennis with someone else. I don't think I've ever heard the chair umpire call anything but, "Advantage, So-and-so"
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:
Woof wrote:And in playing tennis, it's common to use "ad in" and "ad out" rather than the more cumbersome "advantage in" and "advantage out."
*nod* That's the only time I've ever used it -- when I am actually playing tennis with someone else. I don't think I've ever heard the chair umpire call anything but, "Advantage, So-and-so"
And the only time it's ever used by itself is when someone asks, "Whose ad is it?" But I'm not asking for a replacement question (ad: DoT!). :)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
ej!fan wrote:All that cereal and no mention of the epic rivalry between Quisp and Quake.
My brothers and I were participants in taste tests during the development of Quisp back in '64. Now that I think about it, this might explain much...
Days behind the curve here, but I'm curious which you preferred, and if there's any correlation between birth order and liking Quisp or Quake better.

ETA: I liked Quake. My pesky brother, 15 months younger, preferred Quisp... who used to fly around and irritate Quake. More than coincidence?

I must be the only one who skipped over the Arsenic and Old Lace hint and thought only of which poison a food or drink was likely to be laced with, which for me meant cyanide. So it's not an element...

seaborgium, I have the same Ural/Caucasus dilemma. The more I think about it, the less likely I am to get it right.

I had no idea that Capricorn has a fish tail... which kept me from making anything but lame goatfish jokes.

Looks like I'm getting one wrong most every day this week, which ain't gonna help in the LoD standings.
In and out of the pool four times
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

ugh, i can't believe i misread the thor question and answered thor instead of thorium. can't hurt to throw a hail mary and ask for credit but of course i understand if i'm denied. i promise i did know that the element was thorium.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

omgwheelhouse wrote:ugh, i can't believe i misread the thor question and answered thor instead of thorium. can't hurt to throw a hail mary and ask for credit but of course i understand if i'm denied. i promise i did know that the element was thorium.
I'm sure either will be accepted.
Peggles

Post by Peggles »

econgator wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:ugh, i can't believe i misread the thor question and answered thor instead of thorium. can't hurt to throw a hail mary and ask for credit but of course i understand if i'm denied. i promise i did know that the element was thorium.
I'm sure either will be accepted.
Your Thursday scorer here. I disallowed omg's answer because the question was pretty specific about asking for an element. BUT, I also specifically brought it to Dad's attention for review.

I hope Dad's doing better and that we hear from him soon.