Friday, June 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Friday, June 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:32 am

Dogs & Geography

In 2001 the names of these two breeds came together in the new official name of a Canadian province.
SpoilerShow
What are Newfoundland and Labrador? Stacy just had Newfoundland, Brian said Nuna and Vut
Stacy Gardner: $8,600-$0=$8,600
Alison Meermans: $11,400+$7,000=$18,400....now one day champion with $18,400
Brian Keele: $15,200-$7,800=$7,400

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:24 pm

I could not recall Esther Williams' last name, costing me a run in Wheaties. Although I did know Johnny Weismuller never played a mermaid.

I got the categories mixed up on the last DD. I thought of the African Queen but thought we were in the "colorful" category so I had no response.

On the presidents category, I misread the clue and said Herbert Hoover for having never been elected to national office. Hoover was never elected to anything but president and I went down that path, though I swept the rest of the category.

I got Labrador right away but did not know Newfoundland was a breed of dog and tried to think what other dog was in the name and went with Dalmatian just to have something.

Nice job by Brian to redeem himself from yesterday with a strong showing today. A proper wager from third place by Stacy.

So she sang the song with her father when she was eight years old and they danced to it at her wedding last year. And Alex asked if she remembered its name?

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Instaget, but I wonder if "Labrador & Newfoundland" would have been accepted? It's not the name of the province, but the clue seems to be looking for "these two breeds" rather than "a Canadian province".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 pm

Nuna and Vut... I love it.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:11 pm

dhkendall wrote:Instaget, but I wonder if "Labrador & Newfoundland" would have been accepted? It's not the name of the province, but the clue seems to be looking for "these two breeds" rather than "a Canadian province".
Sure, that's the way I read it.

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Saska and Tchewan.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Starts and Ends with W was tougher than I thought. I never knew that "wallow" implied liquids. I thought it meant just soaking in filth, like a pig in mud, not refreshing yourself… like a pig in mud.

Ran Breakfast, but skunked both Wheaties and Of Champions.

Thought it was funny that we had Pete Seeger in J! and Bob Seger in DJ!

Mitch Ryder was my only miss in Detroit Rock City.

Lach Trash: Redneck Woman.

Oddly, the only Literary Ship that I had even an inkling on was Hispaniola, simply because I remember seeing decorations at a Long John Silver's restaurant in the late 1990s that had ship names on them, and Hispaniola was one of them.

FJ! was insultingly easy.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Totally misread FJ! I came up with "What is Labrador retriever?" I didn't realize the clue was asking for the names of 2 breeds; also, I've never heard of a Newfoundland dog. Oh well.

lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Best wrong guess in a very long time.

Al + Berta would have been better :mrgreen:

Golf

Post by Golf » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Thinking more boardies were able to precall the FJ answer based solely on the category than those who missed it. Nice wager by 3rd place.

Oh, and any trivia contestant who doesn't know Lou Gehrig was on the Wheaties box in 1934 is a complete moron. 8-)

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:35 pm

I was chanting 'African Queen' at the TV, but sadly my voice did not travel back through time.

Johnny Weissmuller the mermaid...instant classic.

When I saw 'new' and 'province', Nuna-vut briefly crossed my mind, amusing but still gibberish (and the year was wrong). Never thought anyone would actually write it :mrgreen: Got to the right answer with plenty of time to spare.

DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:37 pm

dhkendall wrote:Instaget, but I wonder if "Labrador & Newfoundland" would have been accepted? It's not the name of the province, but the clue seems to be looking for "these two breeds" rather than "a Canadian province".
Yeah, that should be fine.

You know, we don't have nearly as much stuff to remember about us, and there have been an awful lot of Canadian clues on the show over the years, so you'd think that US contestants would make a bit more of an effort to bone up on their Canadiana once they know when they're going to be taping.

Congratulations to the new champ.

esrever

Post by esrever » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Picked up Lach trash: "Esther Williams", "pink", "Thomas Jefferson", "The African Queen"

Didn't get FJ. Got Labrador but not Newfoundland. I did not know that Newfoundland is a dog breed.

Leander

Post by Leander » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:54 pm

DHicton wrote:
Yeah, that should be fine.

You know, we don't have nearly as much stuff to remember about us, and there have been an awful lot of Canadian clues on the show over the years, so you'd think that US contestants would make a bit more of an effort to bone up on their Canadiana once they know when they're going to be taping.

Congratulations to the new champ.
Seriously, you're lucky that someone came up with Nunavut. The change in the name of Newfoundland got basically zero coverage in the US, and since it was an elaboration of the name rather than something completely new, would have just confused people.

I pretty much got this off the dog breeds, and then thought " oh yeah, I think they might have changed the province name".

TryingHarder
Contributor

Post by TryingHarder » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:01 pm

Isn't Nunavut a territory anyway?

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:05 pm

This was a very enjoyable board. My only miss in the Presidents category that was in the DJ round was "Thomas Jefferson" at $400, though I would have had that one with more time to think. I can't say that I liked the "Woodrow Wilson" DD; I knew it, but without knowing that bit of trivia I think that that is a hard one to tease out.

I am kicking myself for missing the bottom two clues in the literary ships category.

The FJ category made me think of the "Rhodesian ridgeback" FJ clue that was used in one of Jay Rhee's regular games. I also thought of the Canary Islands, but figured that the clue would have to do with a breed that has a geographic name. I knew right away that Newfoundland and Labrador was the province that the clue was referring to, but I didn't know the name of the breed for the former. I also didn't realize that the name of the province alone was acceptable. My guess was "Newfoundland retriever and Labrador retriever." What say the judges?

Leander

Post by Leander » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Interesting question. The Newfoundland is not a retriever, so there might be grounds to mark the answer wrong.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:11 pm

42 out of 60.
W: 4/5 Landmarks: 5/5 Crafts: 1/5 Wheaties: 3/5 (yeah, I said Weissmuller too- didn't even pay attention to mermaid, just swimmer) Breakfast: 4/5 Champions: 5/5
Stick: 4/5 Literary: 4/5 (always get Caine Mutiny and Mutiny on the HMS Bounty mixed up) Detroit: 2/5 (said "The Knacks" instead of "The Knack") Artist: 4/5 Color: 2/5 Presidents: 4/5 (went with Arthur instead of Ford, since Ford was elected to Congress, and I didn't pay attention to "nationwide office".

Lach trash: "Jefferson", "Wheelbarrow", "The Liberator", "Wilson", "Madison", "Hispaniola", "Redneck Woman"

Instaget FJ. Knew the Labrador Retriever and not a Newfoundland breed, but from the Canadian hint, keyed in on Newfoundland & Labrador.