Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

I thought of "Once" first, but switched to Lion King pretty quickly.

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

ElendilPickle wrote:I thought of "Once" first, but switched to Lion King pretty quickly.
I haven't thought of lion king even once! :)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Gross dude.
I am neither gross, nor a dude. :) (At least, I hope I'm not gross.)

Truth to tell, I prefer to eat my sharp cheese (Cabot cheese, or course!) and apple pie separately. But it's not such a bad combination, and is peculiar to Vermont. The Vermont legislature should have known that.
Teems with quiet fun.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

esrever wrote:Picked up Lach trash: "Dandelion Wine", "September", "Vanderbilt", "Gillian Anderson"

Instaget FJ.
I'd like to pick up Gillian Anderson too! ;)

For FJ, "Wicked" was an insta-response and I refused to entertain any other answers during the Think music. :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Instaget FJ! Seen it twice.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought asking for the last month alphabetically was a bit too much legwork at $200. When both November and October were ruled out, I went the other way: "December, January, February, March, April" and thus couldn't get to September in time. Also couldn't pull Oahu or Thomas, having gotten snagged on Molokai and Peter respectively but not ringing in on either. Can't remember what $400 was in Alphabetically, but I think I outright had no idea on it.

Actually recognized every name in Romania but only got $400 and $1200. Only 0/5 was Medicine.

Surprised that Archer actually wasn't a TS. Doesn't seem to be on most people's radar, and the only show I knew of where a character named Malloy would be voiced is Brickleberry, but no way in hell is J! ever gonna have a clue on that garbage.

Literally couldn't think of a single modern musical in 30 seconds, and I wasn't aware that The Lion King even had a musical.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I've seen TLK and I haven't seen Hairspray so why I guessed the latter is beyond me. I didn't enjoy The Lion King very much but it has been around for almost 20 yrs.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Michele had two chances at adenoids and I found it difficult twice to decide if I was hearing adnoids or adenoids.

Besides Wounded Knee the other stumped I learned about years ago was Cornelius Vanderbilt and the ferry. Lees is 2010s knowledge from working crossword puzzles.

Alison's story was not news to me unlike Alex who seemed like he had never heard of such a thing. Here is how amateurs and pros do it:

Archer kept me from running the TV since I've never seen it. I've sped by promos many times while watching other shows on FX.

The FJ! clue had me play a Dawson Crossin' with:
Newsies
Matilda
The Lion King

It took me a little time to wake up that 1 Billion dollars with a B means a longer run. Alex's pre-reveal words assured me I was right as he was hinting towards Rafiki and Ah Zabenya. Or is it Penn-Syl-Vania?

James had 15,200 so Alison had him right where she wanted him to get the repeat. I'm sure the archive has other stories of guys in the lead losing the game on Broadway-related FJ! clues.

Some of you must have cracked the magical 50R and 40K Coryat since I was 49 and 39,000. If only that last clue had player or I had not blurted out Galway on the Zamfir.

Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

The main reason I was unsure at first on The Lion King was that I wasn't entirely certain that it was still running in 2013. But then I figured that for a billion with a "b," it had to be pretty old anyway, even in this age of inflated ticket prices, so I went with it.

BobF

Post by BobF »

esrever wrote:Picked up Lach trash: "Dandelion Wine", "September", "Vanderbilt", "Gillian Anderson"

Instaget FJ.
Darn near same for me, but I didn't get Vandy or Gillian, I'm sure there was another one or two I did get. It would have been a cruel instaget for me if I was on the show because the category would lead me to a rather smallish wager.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

The only FJ responses I could think of were "Spamalot" and Shreck, and I figured Shreck hadn't been around long enough to earn a billion yet.

cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I heard Michele say adenoids the first time and it sounded exactly the same when she repeated it. However, my dictionary says adenoid is also acceptable so what was the problem? Alex said at the beginning of the show his hearing is not as good as it used to be, maybe that's why he asked for a repeat. :D

edit: to correct spelling of her name
Last edited by cosmos on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cosmos wrote:I heard Michelle say adenoids the first time and it sounded exactly the same when she repeated it. However, my dictionary says adenoid is also acceptable so what was the problem? Alex said at the beginning of the show his hearing is not as good as it used to be, maybe that's why he asked for a repeat. :D
I think it was the number of syllables - she (questionably) had three syllables in the word at first, and as we all know, adding a syllable is a Jeopardy! no-no.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I heard her say the same thing twice as well.
RKane wrote:Nothing more satisfying that a reference to the excellent "Hannibal" TV series! I picked that trash up, believe it.
I've heard a lot of good things about Hannibal, but the ratingss were so terrible in season 1 that I figured it would be cancelled before airing every episode, so I didn't bother. Now I'm two full seasons behind. I should probably rectify that this summer.

DH, what is that image? My eyes start doing barrel rolls whenever I look at it :lol:
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leander

Post by Leander »

thenextofken wrote:The only FJ responses I could think of were "Spamalot" and Shreck, and I figured Shreck hadn't been around long enough to earn a billion yet.

Neither were running on Broadway in 2013.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Hannibal is the only show on NBC worth watching.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
cosmos wrote:I heard Michelle say adenoids the first time and it sounded exactly the same when she repeated it. However, my dictionary says adenoid is also acceptable so what was the problem? Alex said at the beginning of the show his hearing is not as good as it used to be, maybe that's why he asked for a repeat. :D
I think it was the number of syllables - she (questionably) had three syllables in the word at first, and as we all know, adding a syllable is a Jeopardy! no-no.
You can add a syllable if there are clearly letters in the word that can produce that sound. It seems from what I can tell that 3 syllables is the primary pronunciation anyway.

davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
dictionary.com expresses the pronunciation of adenoid like this-
[ad-n-oid]
They think it's 3 syllables and so do I. But unless one puts undue emphasis on the e I don't think there's much difference between 2 syllables and 3 for this word. And if one did use undue emphasis, I think one could pronounce it ad-EE=noid and that'd still be acceptable.
Alex may have thought she had an extra sound in there - adrenoid, maybe.
Tonight's FJ is why I don't think much of the wheelhouse concept. I should have known this, and every long-running show went through my mind...except Lion King, but I knew they weren't based on movies. And they even run commercials for TLK during Jeopardy! in NY! Didn't see one tonight...

cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I was thinking loes for dregs, believing I had seen that in a crossword puzzle, but the correct spelling is loess which I forgot.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
dictionary.com expresses the pronunciation of adenoid like this-
[ad-n-oid]
They think it's 3 syllables and so do I. But unless one puts undue emphasis on the e I don't think there's much difference between 2 syllables and 3 for this word. And if one did use undue emphasis, I think one could pronounce it ad-EE=noid and that'd still be acceptable.
Alex may have thought she had an extra sound in there - adrenoid, maybe.
Tonight's FJ is why I don't think much of the wheelhouse concept. I should have known this, and every long-running show went through my mind...except Lion King, but I knew they weren't based on movies. And they even run commercials for TLK during Jeopardy! in NY! Didn't see one tonight...
Merriam Webster says: \ˈa-də-ˌnȯid, ˈad-ˌnȯid\