Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4632
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:03 pm

dhkendall wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:For FJ, "Wicked" was an insta-response and I refused to entertain any other answers during the Think music. :(
It was mine, too, then I thought "hold on, Wicked isn't based on a movie" but it was too late. I couldn't shift gears.
Ummm, Wizard of Oz????
Yeah, that's why Wicked came to mind instantly, but then I realized it wasn't really based on the movie for the reasons elucidated here by the other posters.

User avatar
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:27 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zakharov » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:18 pm

I'd like to thank my mom for once getting me a copy of "Wicked" and then ensuring I didn't fall into that trap. Thanks mom!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:50 pm

lieph82 wrote:P.S. knowing a little bit about the Oz books might just help you out in a future game on this board...
Especially if you want to be an Oz Pinhead. :lol:

User avatar
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:36 pm
Location: near Albany NY
Contact:

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Paucle » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
lieph82 wrote:P.S. knowing a little bit about the Oz books might just help you out in a future game on this board...
Especially if you want to be an Oz Pinhead. :lol:
Thank you Mr Diggs.

User avatar
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Wheatley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:38 pm

silverscreentest wrote:Did anyone else get hit with the negbait about the Mississippi state toy named for a President? I said Lincoln Logs instead of Teddy Bear. In hindsight, Lincoln is not popular in Mississippi and the Teddy Bear incident took place in Mississippi.
Yep me too, realized a second too late that if it was any state's toy it would be Illinois. To my surprise, Illinois does not have a state toy at all.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

User avatar
Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6594
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Wheatley wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:Did anyone else get hit with the negbait about the Mississippi state toy named for a President? I said Lincoln Logs instead of Teddy Bear. In hindsight, Lincoln is not popular in Mississippi and the Teddy Bear incident took place in Mississippi.
Yep me too, realized a second too late that if it was any state's toy it would be Illinois. To my surprise, Illinois does not have a state toy at all.
Possibly Kentucky, but it doesn't have a state toy either.

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:34 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:For FJ, "Wicked" was an insta-response and I refused to entertain any other answers during the Think music. :(
It was mine, too, then I thought "hold on, Wicked isn't based on a movie" but it was too late. I couldn't shift gears.
That would still be considered a good guess in my book.
I went with 'Mama Mia' as an insta-response. I have no interest in broadway at all, so it would have surprised me if I was correct. I would have been wagering at a minimum risk also.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6765
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:10 pm

its206 wrote:Surprised anyone said Spider-man when that was a pretty high-profile flop. I remember reading it could run for years and years and still never turn a profit based on its ridiculously troubled production. Is that true?
I don't know, but it wouldn't affect the gross. Still, I suppose you have a point. If Spider-man grosses $1 billion and is still in the red, somebody's cooking the books.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8148
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:01 pm

harrumph wrote:It is based on the 1995 Gregory Maguire novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Which is one of the darkest books I have ever read. Hard to believe at times that the book and musical are related at all.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2038
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:01 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
its206 wrote:Surprised anyone said Spider-man when that was a pretty high-profile flop. I remember reading it could run for years and years and still never turn a profit based on its ridiculously troubled production. Is that true?
I don't know, but it wouldn't affect the gross. Still, I suppose you have a point. If Spider-man grosses $1 billion and is still in the red, somebody's cooking the books.
Is there a Bialystock listed as one of the producers?
OCSam

mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 am

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mrsal67 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:33 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Leander wrote:Not an instaget FJ, but I couldn't come up with any other show currently running that was based on a movie. Plus, knowing how popular Lion King is and the use of super premium pricing for preferred seats, hitting a billion seemed not unreasonable.
I started out with The Producers because it was the first (successful) one I could think of made out of a movie. (And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!). But then I figured it wasn't that successful, and I started thinking of other long-running plays, and went immediately to The Lion King.
Although I might not be willing to fight you about PTO being based on a movie (I assume that is an abbreviation of Phantom of the Opera), you are still wrong.

Little Shop of Horrors was based on a "B" horror movie released in the 60's and is older than The Producers. I went back and forth on those 2 since LSH is much older and may be on broadway in some revival (question wasn't clear if it meant only first/continuous run). Settled on The Producers and was wrong anyway.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3492
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:27 am

mrsal67 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Leander wrote:Not an instaget FJ, but I couldn't come up with any other show currently running that was based on a movie. Plus, knowing how popular Lion King is and the use of super premium pricing for preferred seats, hitting a billion seemed not unreasonable.
I started out with The Producers because it was the first (successful) one I could think of made out of a movie. (And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!). But then I figured it wasn't that successful, and I started thinking of other long-running plays, and went immediately to The Lion King.
Although I might not be willing to fight you about PTO being based on a movie (I assume that is an abbreviation of Phantom of the Opera), you are still wrong.

Little Shop of Horrors was based on a "B" horror movie released in the 60's and is older than The Producers. I went back and forth on those 2 since LSH is much older and may be on broadway in some revival (question wasn't clear if it meant only first/continuous run). Settled on The Producers and was wrong anyway.
Little Shop of Horrors was an off-Broadway hit in the 1980s that was revived on Broadway from October 2003 to August 2004. Not a huge success there.
A lot of Broadway musicals are based on movies. One that precedes all the ones mentioned is 42nd Street, which ran over 8 years starting in 1980, and was revived for 3 and a half years in the early 2000s.
The Producers closed in 2007.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6765
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:30 pm

mrsal67 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I started out with The Producers because it was the first (successful) one I could think of made out of a movie. (And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!). But then I figured it wasn't that successful, and I started thinking of other long-running plays, and went immediately to The Lion King.
Although I might not be willing to fight you about PTO being based on a movie (I assume that is an abbreviation of Phantom of the Opera), you are still wrong.

Little Shop of Horrors was based on a "B" horror movie released in the 60's and is older than The Producers. I went back and forth on those 2 since LSH is much older and may be on broadway in some revival (question wasn't clear if it meant only first/continuous run). Settled on The Producers and was wrong anyway.
A few years after Phantom of the Opera, Andrew Lloyd Webber did write a musical based on a movie: Sunset Boulevard. It got mentioned earlier in this thread. Sunset Blvd pre-dates The Lion King by a year--pre-dates the movie, that is.

mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 am

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mrsal67 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:01 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:(And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!).
You never did explain why Phantom of the Opera is not based on a movie.
Again, not willing to go to blows over it, but I am curious.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3492
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:22 am

mrsal67 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:(And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!).
You never did explain why Phantom of the Opera is not based on a movie.
Again, not willing to go to blows over it, but I am curious.
Because it isn't. It's based on a 19th C. novel by Gaston Leroux. And the Phantom in the show is not like the Phantom in the Lon Chaney movie.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3492
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:28 am

davey wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:(And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!).
You never did explain why Phantom of the Opera is not based on a movie.
Again, not willing to go to blows over it, but I am curious.
Because it isn't. It's based on a 19th C. novel by Gaston Leroux. And the Phantom in the show is not like the Phantom in the Lon Chaney movie.
Sorry, just realized that the Leroux novel is from 1909-10. It's always smart to check facts before posting... :oops:

mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 am

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mrsal67 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:34 pm

davey wrote:
davey wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:(And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!).
You never did explain why Phantom of the Opera is not based on a movie.
Again, not willing to go to blows over it, but I am curious.
Because it isn't. It's based on a 19th C. novel by Gaston Leroux. And the Phantom in the show is not like the Phantom in the Lon Chaney movie.
Sorry, just realized that the Leroux novel is from 1909-10. It's always smart to check facts before posting... :oops:
Thanks for the education. I did not know there was a Phantom novel.
Does the novel have the chandelier incident? I know its in the Claude Raines version but I don't know if it is in the Lon Chaney version.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3492
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:50 pm

mrsal67 wrote:
davey wrote:
davey wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:(And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!).
You never did explain why Phantom of the Opera is not based on a movie.
Again, not willing to go to blows over it, but I am curious.
Because it isn't. It's based on a 19th C. novel by Gaston Leroux. And the Phantom in the show is not like the Phantom in the Lon Chaney movie.
Sorry, just realized that the Leroux novel is from 1909-10. It's always smart to check facts before posting... :oops:
Thanks for the education. I did not know there was a Phantom novel.
Does the novel have the chandelier incident? I know its in the Claude Raines version but I don't know if it is in the Lon Chaney version.
I did not know, but checked Wikipedia which says it's in the book and both movies. It's true also that Claude Rains' Phantom looks more like the show's Phantom. But he uses a full mask, not the show's half-mask.

User avatar
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by periwinkle » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:51 pm

I got thrown off in FJ thinking about recent shows - Aladdin was just on the Tonys (and won for supporting actor), so that came to mind first. Then Newsies, since it had to be older than just this year to get a billion dollars, and I figured it had to be Disney, but I didn't work backward quickly enough before the think music ran out.

This despite the fact that I was just looking at tickets for the Lion King tour to see if they were reasonably enough priced to take my young cousin (nope). But it didn't spring to mind as a show currently on Broadway.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8770
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:55 pm

Belated judge's ruling required (watching this in Daytime J!)

L__S (Alex: Each correct response -- four letters only. The word will begin with an "L" and end with an "S".) $600: "Run them, swim them or sit on them"

Credited was "What are laps". Would "What are legs" work just as well? IMHO they do, but I'd like a judges' ruling on this.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Post Reply