Tuesday, July 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote:I never thought that I would see a clue on Arcade Fire outside of tournament play. I thought that that one was harder than the clue on Creedence Clearwater Revival that was under it, at $1000.
This would totally depend on the ages of the contestants, I would think. Arcade Fire isn't exactly obscure. Just check out some of the venues they're playing on their summer tour: http://arcadefire.com/live/
hscer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by hscer »

econgator wrote:That was Kids Week. How did 2 of 3 miss it?
It will be a 90%'er here, I think
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Crazy guesses I got right: Arcade Fire off "Canadian" and "Grammy-winning" (I didn't even know that they were/had brothers, and I wasn't even totally positive they were Canadian! Were there any other clues than those?), and Punjab (having forgotten the category, for some reason I pulled that out as being a likely city name to be in both Pakistan and India).

FJ took me a moment, but it was easy.

Howard seemed to have been kicking himself over not wagering more on his DD, but the way I see it, Shloka probably would have wagered to catch up with him on her DD and ended up with the lead almost no matter what. And I'm sure he's not complaining about thirty grand anyway.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:Crazy guesses I got right: Arcade Fire off "Canadian" and "Grammy-winning" (I didn't even know that they were/had brothers, and I wasn't even totally positive they were Canadian!
The Butler brothers are actually American expats. They grew up outside Houston.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

I'll fess up to missing an apparently easy one. It just never occurred to me that "United States of America" could be considered a "term." I just kept trying to think of four word terminology phrases like "more perfect union" or "original colonies" (only those aren't four words, I know).
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

doihavetoreally wrote:
econgator wrote:That was Kids Week. How did 2 of 3 miss it?
well I have a lot of growing up then. Didn't get fj.
Ha, ha -- same here. I was stuck on 'colonies' for some reason.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:how should I know that what's-her-face was the mom of Mary Shelley?
I've heard or read Mary Shelley called Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. It's been a long time, but "Wollstonecraft" stuck with me.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:When Alex shows the category as the Dec of Ind, he says something to the effect of "how appropriate for this day", when today is not 7/4, it's 7/1. Alex forgot the show would air on Canada Day :)
Not easy for him, as - from what I know - the air date is displayed in big letters on a sheet of paper taped to the camera so you know what "day" it is. (Caveat: Closest I've been to the Culver City studios is Portland, Oregon, so I may be off in my remembrances of what others who have been to the studio said.)

Wasn't the Declaration written on the 1st, though? (Proclaimed on the 2nd (I recall one Founding Father thought the 2nd would be the day celebrated by the new nation - this fact may have appeared on Jeopardy! before) and ratified on the 4th.)
Category 13 wrote:I knew it was Mike Meyer, and not Dana Carvey.
I knew it was Mike Meyers as soon as Dana Carvey was halfway past my lips. :(
Bamaman wrote:
DHicton wrote:I thought (wrongly) that you didn't identifiy yourselves as the United States of America until the Constitution. So I said "a more perfect union", which is from the Constitution. Blast!
I was unaware the term was in the Declaration of Independence but could not think of anything else.

Actually, when Alex said the category was appropriate for today, I said I was amazed to learn Canada had a Declaration of Independence.
We don't, we have an Asking Politely of Independence.
Dr. J wrote:I'll forgive the non-Americans, but c'mon, the rest of you!
I am curious to see the national breakdown on this one. Granted, there aren't that many Canadians on the board, but so far the count is for 1 who missed (DHicton) and 1 who instagot (dhkendall).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Leonardisawesome wrote:Jill's voice is annoying. Is that what's called a "vocal fry"?

Also, her shirt was tight.
And people wonder why contestants don't want to make an appearance on this board?
Dear J! Board,
Stop making fun of Jill. YOU'RE NOT WORRRRTHYYYY!
Signed,
Dana...Car...ver?
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

dhkendall wrote:
I am curious to see the national breakdown on this one. Granted, there aren't that many Canadians on the board, but so far the count is for 1 who missed (DHicton) and 1 who instagot (dhkendall).
Phrases from the Constitution are more likely to stick in people's minds than from the Declaration('When in the course of human events...England sucks, and stuff...the end'), so I can kind of see how 'The United States of America' could be overlooked in the Declaration...perhaps Schoolhouse Rock should have set it to music.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Schoolhouse Rock left out United States of America when they sang the preamble.

She said Dans Carver, so when that was negged I of course clicked my pen with Dana Carvey.

I agree Cromwell was overvalued and I also object to not giving a BMS since there were two LPs named Cromwell.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
You may count me in the 'instaget' crowd. Even though my favourite bit on the subject didn't have that part. Any guesses as to what that bit might be?
Hint in spoilers:
Spoiler
Ben: The purfuit of happineff?
Tom: That's 'Pursuit of Happiness'.
Ben: well, all your esses look like effs.
Onairb wrote:... so I can kind of see how 'The United States of America' could be overlooked in the Declaration...perhaps Schoolhouse Rock should have set it to music.
Since that phrase wasn't there, Schoolhouse Rock would have been wrong to include it, had they set the declaration to music.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Bob78164 wrote:This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Of course. The eventual winner expressed a desire to spend his winnings on a trip to a beach. What stronger form of Shore Conjecture could there be?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

bpmod wrote:
Onairb wrote:... so I can kind of see how 'The United States of America' could be overlooked in the Declaration...perhaps Schoolhouse Rock should have set it to music.
Since that phrase wasn't there, Schoolhouse Rock would have been wrong to include it, had they set the declaration to music.

Brian
I just took a quick listen, and didn't hear "United States of America" in the Fifth Dimension version either (hey, that's as old as CCR...)

http://youtu.be/M9EHmvN8wp8
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

bpmod wrote:
But it is there, in the conclusion. A song on the whole Declaration would've included it.

That would have been an awfully long song.
Sheepin' it real.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

silverscreentest wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Of course. The eventual winner expressed a desire to spend his winnings on a trip to a beach. What stronger form of Shore Conjecture could there be?
That's a good one. Kudos.
dcvio
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by dcvio »

I figured Alex flubbed and said "day" when he meant "week" re: Declaration of Independence FJ...alternatively, the "independence" theme led him to give a nod to Canada Day.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
bpmod wrote:
But it is there, in the conclusion. A song on the whole Declaration would've included it.

So, the Jeopardy! clue was wrong?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
bpmod wrote:

So, the Jeopardy! clue was wrong?

Brian
No. And neither is TheyCallMeMrKid.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: You mean "...how should I know that (Ms. Wollstonecraft) was the mom of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley?"