Tuesday, July 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

sarah0114 wrote:
Volante wrote:I can't say I'm very fond of the United States of America as a name for a new country!
I don't care what you're fond of. You're not a member of this Congress.
<votes yes, votes yes, votes for independency!>
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Tygor
Contributor

Post by Tygor »

When the clue was revealed I started thinking "In God We Trust" but "The Thirteen..." almost makes you go to United States of America naturally. Could the contestants abbreviate it as USofA if they got it late?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Volante wrote:
sarah0114 wrote:
Volante wrote:I can't say I'm very fond of the United States of America as a name for a new country!
I don't care what you're fond of. You're not a member of this Congress.
<votes yes, votes yes, votes for independency!>
This reminded me that I have a DVD of the Director's Cut (with Cool, Cool Considerate Men) that I need to rewatch this weekend. Thanks!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Somehow, the "America Rock" series was the only set of Schoolhouse Rock videos that eluded me growing up, and I only saw the science ones once in 4th grade.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Somehow, the "America Rock" series was the only set of Schoolhouse Rock videos that eluded me growing up, and I only saw the science ones once in 4th grade.
I have all of the Schoolhouse Rock DVDs, but I haven't watched them. I remember watching a few of the clips when I was a kid.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
zakharov wrote:Canucks = Canadians. Yuks=laughs. Jeopardy humor!
No, I meant the "jury's out on science" line on the $1600 clue specifically. The category name itself I got.
It was a line from Will Arnett's character Gob on "Arrested Development." A strange choice to use that quote, he has lots that are more memorable ("Illusions" "Come on guy!" "Bees")

Had a huge misstep on FJ - read the clue as "four letter..." and spent the rest of the time staring blankly at my paper instead of double checking the clue.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Volante

Post by Volante »

Ooooh, so close....let me fix that last sentence for you...
Wheatley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
zakharov wrote:Canucks = Canadians. Yuks=laughs. Jeopardy humor!
No, I meant the "jury's out on science" line on the $1600 clue specifically. The category name itself I got.
It was a line from Will Arnett's character Gob on "Arrested Development." A strange choice to use that quote, he has lots that are more memorable ("Illusions" "Come on guy!" "Bees")

I made a huge mistake on FJ - read the clue as "four letter..." and spent the rest of the time staring blankly at my paper instead of double checking the clue.
:D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Tygor wrote:When the clue was revealed I started thinking "In God We Trust" but "The Thirteen..." almost makes you go to United States of America naturally. Could the contestants abbreviate it as USofA if they got it late?
If they don't get it in the first 25 seconds, they won't be getting it later, nor will they deserve to.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

I'm catching up with last night's episode, but a quick plea before I start on tonight's... Please tell me I'm not the only one that said "What is Tim Hortons?" on Canyucks $1200?
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

buckeyebrain wrote:I'm catching up with last night's episode, but a quick plea before I start on tonight's... Please tell me I'm not the only one that said "What is Tim Hortons?" on Canyucks $1200?
Okay, you're not the only one that said tim hortons.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

dhkendall wrote:
Tygor wrote:When the clue was revealed I started thinking "In God We Trust" but "The Thirteen..." almost makes you go to United States of America naturally. Could the contestants abbreviate it as USofA if they got it late?
If they don't get it in the first 25 seconds, they won't be getting it later, nor will they deserve to.
This is absurd. If you write the answer down in time, you get the same amount of credit, whether you got it at second 0 or second 27.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Leonardisawesome wrote:Jill's voice is annoying. Is that what's called a "vocal fry"?
Blessed are the meek, for they shall win $43,000 on Jeopardy!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

buckeyebrain wrote:I'm catching up with last night's episode, but a quick plea before I start on tonight's... Please tell me I'm not the only one that said "What is Tim Hortons?" on Canyucks $1200?
I had heard of the "Dumb Starbucks" because someone mentioned it on a retail-based Facebook group that I'm on. Also, I don't think of Tim Hortons as a "coffee shop" so much as a coffee/donut/sandwich shop. IMO it's closer to Panera than to Starbucks.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I had heard of the "Dumb Starbucks" because someone mentioned it on a retail-based Facebook group that I'm on. Also, I don't think of Tim Hortons as a "coffee shop" so much as a coffee/donut/sandwich shop. IMO it's closer to Panera than to Starbucks.
The Comedy Central show this referred to, Nathan For You, is just starting a new season and I had just read an article that refers to the Dumb Starbucks. But it seems like that response would have been a good bet anyway...
The one Tim Horton's I've been to - which closed after less than a year in NYC - was more like Dunkin' Donuts than either Starbucks or Panera...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/01/arts/ ... .html?_r=0
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

harrumph wrote:On a side note for this FJ http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/03/us/po ... .html?_r=0
Reading these articles always brings up more questions than existed before reading. Take the following excerpt, for example:
where it is kept in a bulletproof glass case filled with stabilizing argon gas that is lowered each evening into an underground vault.
How, but more importantly, why, do they lower the argon gas into an underground vault?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
harrumph wrote:On a side note for this FJ http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/03/us/po ... .html?_r=0
Reading these articles always brings up more questions than existed before reading. Take the following excerpt, for example:
where it is kept in a bulletproof glass case filled with stabilizing argon gas that is lowered each evening into an underground vault.
How, but more importantly, why, do they lower the argon gas into an underground vault?

Brian
Because it's easier than raising the vault around the gas.