Tuesday, July 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF »

econgator wrote:That was Kids Week. How did 2 of 3 miss it?
The only doubt in my mind was whether they were looking for "States" or "Colonies". Super easy FJ.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Band of Brothers [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

Showing my age thinking Creedence Clearwater Revival was over valued @ $1000.
I never heard of the two more contemperary bands. I would have prefered a Leeam/Noel Gallagher clue, or Malcom Young and brother Angus....
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 out of 60.

Her: 4/5 Band: 3/5 Choosy: 5/5 Way: 3/5 Sugar: 3/5 Machine: 2/5
Authors: 2/5 Beast: 2/5 P: 4/5 Spooky: 5/5 Science: 3/5 Canyucks: 5/5

Lach trash: "scalawag"

I didn't know it for sure, but the United States of America seemed like the most sensible answer for FJ to me, so I went with it after a little bit of thinking.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

OK, I looked up Shore's conjecture. not sure I'm buying in or I don't understand.

Lets use

1st place contestants hit about 53% on FJ. So by definition doing anything other than betting for the right answer is going to be <50% win percentage and therefore the wrong play (unless for some reason he/she is so non-confident in the FJ category to assume they are less than 50%). First should bet 13000 if wants to offer tie or 13001 if not.

2nd place should never allow 3rd place into the game if its avoidable. Max bet should be no more than 4K. Minimum should be 1K (on the very small chance 1st tries to get cute and bets small)

There is a difference between game theory and observed answer and betting frequencies. If I'm at the podium, I'm not ignoring that the vast majority of 1st place contestants bet to protect, so I'm not going to worry too much about a small wager from 1st. If I can safely guard against (in this case) then I will bet 1K-4K.

3rd just has to hope and pray 2nd idiot bets big (which happens and good amount of the time).

If I was playing a game against known game theory types might be a different story. But not J! as played.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Man, I've been on a hot streak of FJ gets; where were these clues during my run?!? I'm quite surprised this one wasn't a triple get, especially when spotted "13." I'll forgive the non-Americans, but c'mon, the rest of you!

(After grumbling about this clue and the easiness of it, Mr. Dr. J pipes up: "you know, I really think you'd do ok on this show." He's a real comedian, that one.)

Maybe Howard can put together a run that will make MTGcollegestudent proud...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

While his bet did let Jill back in the game, she still had to get it right in order to win. Also, there really isn't a whole lot you can ask about the Declaration of Independence, so he probably felt good about the category.

Glad to not only see a man win ;) , but a man close to my age. Gives me hope!!!!!

I also liked his interview story, I hope he signs up here and tells us where they went.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CrunchyTaco wrote:
econgator wrote:That was Kids Week. How did 2 of 3 miss it?
Perhaps they over thought it? I came up with United States of America almost instantly and spent the next 25 seconds second-guessing myself because I thought it seemed too easy.
^^^ This.
davey

Post by davey »

zakharov wrote:Got FJ after a few seconds. "Ok, so it's not United States...oh right, duh?"
I never went beyond those 2 words...or I was thinking that"The United States of America" is 5 words...or something, I'm really not sure how my thinking went, but I ended up with "states of the union".... And I did so well in the rest of the game! It's a rule lately - I have to miss an obvious one a week. :oops:
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

With two easy DDs in DJ, I had a hunch FJ would be easy as well. Blank at first, but sudden realization that U.S. of A. is four words!

I can't believe Jill talks with that tiny voice as a flight attendant. You have to be loud and clear to qualify for that job. She must have been terribly nervous.

How did Alex know that Jill knew Isaac Bashevis Singer but didn't ring in? What was her tell?

I kind of expected Howard to finish last when his interview consisted of talking about how he was going to spend his winnings. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Leave it to me different as I said scallywag in place of the more common scalawag.

Alex said the brothers of The Kinks as Davis. The "e" in Davies is silent?

There was a time I could not connect Edgar Lee Masters to The Spoon River Anthology. In 2014 I can collect on the clue and predict an 0/3 by the players.

More games like tonight's and more contestants like those three should help keep everyone happy through the end of the season. Hope the contestant coordinators and the writers can do their parts.

I made no precall for the FJ! category other than figuring it would either be about states, signers, or wording. The clue had enough to let me know what to write. I'm glad I did not have to figure out the preceeding word in considering 13, the or these.

Shloka doing well to fight Howard off for the lead entering the FJ! round cost him about $10,000. Perhaps Howard will end the outchange and get win #2 tomorrow.
Leonardisawesome
Contributor

Post by Leonardisawesome »

Jill's voice is annoying. Is that what's called a "vocal fry"?

Also, her shirt was tight.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Leonardisawesome wrote:Jill's voice is annoying. Is that what's called a "vocal fry"?

I'm sure there are some days Mitch (the microphone tech guy) hates his job.

Vocal fry? Enough to cook eggs?

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote:Alex said the brothers of The Kinks as Davis. The "e" in Davies is silent?
I noticed that, too. I thought it was pronounced Day-vees.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

As did I, but ...

From a 2006 NPR interview with Ray Davies:

BLOCK: Finally, we come to my interview with Ray Davies, lead singer of the British band The Kinks. He just put out his first solo studio album called OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES and

many of you wrote in to note our pronunciation of his name.

NORRIS: It's Davies, many of your wrote, Davies.

BLOCK: But as became clear during the interview --

Mr. RAY DAVIES (Singer): It's Davis. I think, over here, the tendency is to say Davies. Davis is not quite right, so think of it with a zed at the end, z.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Leonardisawesome wrote:Jill's voice is annoying. Is that what's called a "vocal fry"?

And people wonder why contestants don't want to make an appearance on this board?
Sheepin' it real.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Signal:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:And people wonder why contestants don't want to make an appearance on this board?
Noise:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:Mr. RAY DAVIES (Singer): It's Davis. I think, over here, the tendency is to say Davies. Davis is not quite right, so think of it with a zed at the end, z.
Huh. Well, I guess he'd know! :)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

For the most part this was another excellent board. My only gripes are that "Oliver Cromwell" was overvalued at $2000 and the "atoms" DD that was in the DJ round was an absolute joke.

I wasn't sure how this game would go when "scalawag" was a triple stumper, but it turned out to be a very good game.

I never thought that I would see a clue on Arcade Fire outside of tournament play. I thought that that one was harder than the clue on Creedence Clearwater Revival that was under it, at $1000.

On FJ, I made a mistake that I often make: I interpreted "word term" as "letter." This made me guess "free." I'd like to think that I would have gotten this one if I had read it correctly, but I'd say that I am only about 70% confident.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:Mr. RAY DAVIES (Singer): It's Davis. I think, over here, the tendency is to say Davies. Davis is not quite right, so think of it with a zed at the end, z.
Huh. Well, I guess he'd know! :)
Yeah, although this is the place that also pronounces 'Leicester' as 'Lester', so ....