Tuesday, July 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

davey wrote:
bpmod wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Onairb wrote:... so I can kind of see how 'The United States of America' could be overlooked in the Declaration...perhaps Schoolhouse Rock should have set it to music.
Since that phrase wasn't there, Schoolhouse Rock would have been wrong to include it, had they set the declaration to music.
But it is there, in the conclusion. A song on the whole Declaration would've included it.
So, the Jeopardy! clue was wrong?

Brian
No. And neither is TheyCallMeMrKid.
Are you saying that both phrases ("the United States of America" (as Onairb said and TheyCallMeMrKid agreed with) and "the thirteen United States of America" (as in the clue/response)) were used, but in different parts of the DoI?

Sorry. I don't know the Declaration of Independence that well.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

danspartan wrote:Once again a horrible wager by 2nd that comes up smelling roses.

Could have easily bet to pass 1st while still keeping 3rd locked out.
Right, and right again. His preferred bet, IMO, was $1999. That wins on a TS, prevents being overtaken by 3rd place Jill, and even covers a $0 bet from the leader. Actually I was rooting for Howard from the initial introduction; there was just something about him I liked. And he played a nice game except for that very suboptimal wager which just happened to work to his advantage because he had the sole FJ get. And to those who will say, "Yeah, so doesn't that make it a good bet?" the answer is, uh, no, just like the discussion on this board last week made clear.

I will root for Howard again in his first game as champ, but he'd better do better than that in wagering if he wants to hang around a while.

Picked up trash on scalawag, Edgar Lee Masters, and Ptolemy, with Instaget FJ.

I don't know why anyone thinks coyotes on an airport runway would be a big deal. They are one of the most adaptable creatures on earth, have been known to make themselves at home in every county in Ohio (and probably everywhere else) and have been spotted fairly often on the runways at Burke Lakefront Airport. I don't know of any sightings at our big airport, but I wouldn't be the least surprised.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Of course. The eventual winner expressed a desire to spend his winnings on a trip to a beach. What stronger form of Shore Conjecture could there be?
That's a good one. Kudos.
Ditto. :D
Shmuel
Contributor

Post by Shmuel »

Fortunately, the text of the Declaration of Independence is easy to find online. :)

The large heading at the top says "The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America." The Fifth Dimension leaves that and the entire next paragraph out, skipping to the bit where Jefferson &c. make their argument for when and why secession is called for.

(As it happens, there's also a reference to "the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled" at the end, but the clue was asking about the bit at the very beginning.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
zakharov wrote:Canucks = Canadians. Yuks=laughs. Jeopardy humor!
No, I meant the "jury's out on science" line on the $1600 clue specifically. The category name itself I got.
Just a quote from the show. The key bit was 'Gob Bluth.'
CrunchyTaco wrote:I came up with United States of America almost instantly and spent the next 25 seconds second-guessing myself because I thought it seemed too easy.
I can't say I'm very fond of the United States of America as a name for a new country!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

bpmod wrote: Are you saying that both phrases ("the United States of America" (as Onairb said and TheyCallMeMrKid agreed with) and "the thirteen United States of America" (as in the clue/response)) were used, but in different parts of the DoI?

Brian
Yes, that was the only point I was trying to make.
Sheepin' it real.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
bpmod wrote: Are you saying that both phrases ("the United States of America" (as Onairb said and TheyCallMeMrKid agreed with) and "the thirteen United States of America" (as in the clue/response)) were used, but in different parts of the DoI?

Brian
The point I had tried to make in my initial response to Onairb was that his phrase probably would not have been accpted on the show, one of the very few cases where a leading article can make a difference.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

bpmod wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:

Brian
The point I had tried to make in my initial response to Onairb was that his phrase probably would not have been accpted on the show, one of the very few cases where a leading article can make a difference.

Brian
I was half-expecting someone to include the "the". In my opinion, losing on something like that is far more irritating than on, say, a bad (or even miscalculated) wager.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jepkid97 wrote:
bpmod wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:

Brian

Brian
I was half-expecting someone to include the "the". In my opinion, losing on something like that is far more irritating than on, say, a bad (or even miscalculated) wager.
This is also where, having 30 seconds to mull it out and write it, you can take a quick breath, re-read the clue, and count the words is more useful than in the standard run of play.
davey

Post by davey »

This leads to another question...and partly sour grapes on my part for not getting it, admittedly -

Is "United States of America" (actually "united States of America" in the Declaration, btw) really so common? Isn't it nearly always "the United States of America"? A 5-word term...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote:This leads to another question...and partly sour grapes on my part for not getting it, admittedly -

Is "United States of America" (actually "united States of America" in the Declaration, btw) really so common? Isn't it nearly always "the United States of America"? A 5-word term...
But there was a "the" in front of thirteen. It wouldn't make sense to have another "the" in there.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

They wanted the four words following "the thirteen" so you wouldn't say "the thirteen the united States of America." And "united" was lowercase since it wasn't the name of a country it was just states who were united against Britain.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

Volante wrote:I can't say I'm very fond of the United States of America as a name for a new country!
I don't care what you're fond of. You're not a member of this Congress.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:I can't say I'm very fond of the United States of America as a name for a new country!
Yeah, but their Presidents make pretty good music:

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Yeah, but their Presidents make pretty good music:

Hey! Wait a second! Those aren't the words I know!

Brian

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I forget how many Weird Al fans are on this forum. ("Gump" was actually my gateway to the original.)
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:
davey wrote:This leads to another question...and partly sour grapes on my part for not getting it, admittedly -

But there was a "the" in front of thirteen. It wouldn't make sense to have another "the" in there.
Sure, I understand that. I'm questioning whether the phrase we use is a "4-word term." Even in the Declaration it's a five-word term, interrupted by a 6th word... ;) "United States" is often used without an article to modify a noun (as in "United States exports"), but it's rare to use "United States of America" without that preceding the. I concede that the clue doesn't say it's common as 4 words...
Also, the Declaration calling it "united States of America" makes me wonder how official, as a name, it really was. Though I understand spelling and capitalization were a little less rulebound in the 18th C.
I'm mostly trying to figure out my own failure to get this by noting the loopholes I might have been tangled in.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote:Is "United States of America" (actually "united States of America" in the Declaration, btw) really so common?
To be fair, the clue didn't say it was common. Just that it was the first time United States of America had been used officially.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

TUSA! TUSA! TUSA!
davey

Post by davey »

sarah0114 wrote:TUSA! TUSA! TUSA!
:lol: :lol: :lol: