Thursday, July 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

If I may go off-topic to share something that might come up as a future J! question, the Boston Pops will be performing as part of their July 4 concert this year a piece in tribute to the 200th anniversary of "The Star Spangled Banner" written by Lyn Ahrens, most famous for her many "Schoolhouse Rock" jingles.

That male contestant tonight was reckless, no? Madeleine Albright born in Alabama, LOL.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Picked up Lach Trash for: Condoleezza Rice, Interior, schooner, Romney and Acapulco. As a golf fan, a little disappointed that nobody got Rice. For FJ, that stone under the throne came to mind, but couldn't remember the name.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 out of 60.
USA: 5/5 Glory: 4/5 Cover: 1/5 Joad: 3/5 Springsteen: 2/5 E: 3/5
Secretary: 2/5 Double: 0/5 Cliffs: 3/5 College: 2/5 Science: 3/5 Network: 4/5

Lach trash: "Condi Rice", "Kenya", "George Romney", "Roentgen", "New Mexico"

No clue about FJ- entertained guesses of the Holy Grail (You're a loony.) and the Royal Scepter.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Instaget FJ, and I picked up most of the trash the rest of you did.
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

Stone of Scone, Blarney Stone, the Sword in the Stone...What is it about the UK and their stones?
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

jeopardyhopeful wrote:Stone of Scone, Blarney Stone, the Sword in the Stone...What is it about the UK and their stones?
Obviously, those blokes have a lot of stones!
Sheepin' it real.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeopardyhopeful wrote:Stone of Scone, Blarney Stone, the Sword in the Stone...What is it about the UK and their stones?
Ask Mick.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Stonehenge.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

PeteMoss wrote:Stonehenge.
The 18" one from 'Spinal Tap'?
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
JimGunn
Contributor

Post by JimGunn »

dhkendall wrote:Judges: DOUBLE LETTERS $1200: "An importer of illegal goods, without payment of legal duty (of course)" Would "bootlegger" fit? ("Smuggler" was given - frankly, mine has even more double letters than the given response)
I said "bootlegger" too. I like to think that would have been accepted.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bootlegger for me and I've adjusted my scoresheet to count it. For Tom Joad in jail I must have had Randy's TD game on my mind and I said hoosegow to be funny.

Rice/Augusta was indeed national news, but since it's also sports and Jeff didn't get it I was done with him for the night even though he later came up with Spike for the correct network.

The archive makes it easy to call B.S. on Alex and prove him full of it: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=923

I tried some precall of:
Holy Grail
Rosetta Stone
Bayeux Tapestry
Peacock Throne
Blarney Stone
Liberty Bell
Plymouth Rock

While writing those I considered Stone of Scone and told myself, "Nah, they won't ask about that."

When I saw the clue I was laughing as I wrote the correct response. That was a pleasant surprise to see Christi get it right to have a clear victory. If she had no clue it would have been funny if she guessed Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone to tie in with her story time with Alex.

I will predict with 99 and 4/10s certainty that a woman wins tomorrow's game.

Very mild spoiler why:
Spoiler
The line-up of contestants for this week had 7 women and 4 men. All of the guys have already played. So, unless it's a triple zero game a woman will be the returning champ on Monday.
clprez

Post by clprez »

NoName84 wrote:WAGed Magna Carta, but at least the correct response was something I had heard of.
Me, too.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I'm guessing they would BMS bootlegger, at best, and you would be wrong if you didn't come up with smuggler.

The clue fits the most common definition of smuggler exactly: import/export plus avoidance of taxes. Whereas the common definition of bootlegger only requires transporting, not necessarily across a border, plus the same avoidance of taxes.

So there is some overlap, but is it enough?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

floridagator wrote:If I may go off-topic to share something that might come up as a future J! question, the Boston Pops will be performing as part of their July 4 concert this year a piece in tribute to the 200th anniversary of "The Star Spangled Banner" written by Lyn Ahrens, most famous for her many "Schoolhouse Rock" jingles.
I just checked that this is the same Lynn Ahrens who co-wrote such musicals such as Seussical and Ragtime. That's so awesome.

I had some of the same Lach trash as others mentioned upthread--schooner, Rice, Roentgen, hungry heart. Thought Kenya was right but clammed. Negged on Arizona and Treasury. Said bootlegger and hat (rather than helmet)--don't recall using a helmet during my four years in the Air Force so I can't say it's wrong, but I think hat is more right.

Second day in a row when I got FJ on a WAG.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Gotta admit "Stone of Scone" rang no bells at all. Possible extra question for the weekly FJ poll?
Spokes
Contributor

Post by Spokes »

My first 0/5 in recent memory on Bruce. Also came up with bootlegger. "Mobius" seemed super overvalued, as did a couple others i can't immediately call to mind. Had absolutely no clue on FJ. Took the 400 years as a clue and thought about 1550 English history, came up with crown jewels. Whoops
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Stone of Scone is one of those things that was on my radar only because I knew J! had asked about it previously. Guessed right, but I had no idea it had been stolen.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

nserven wrote:Stone of Scone is one of those things that was on my radar only because I knew J! had asked about it previously. Guessed right, but I had no idea it had been stolen.
The archive shows the previous hits. Watch the show enough and yesiree it will hit your radar. "stone scone" will give a fair amount of hits. Do "stone scone 1950" to narrow it down about the theft/recovery.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Gotta admit "Stone of Scone" rang no bells at all. Possible extra question for the weekly FJ poll?

I'd vaguely heard of it, guessed the Crown Jewels even thought the wording of the answer said it was a single thing rather than a group of things.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Judges: DOUBLE LETTERS $1200: "An importer of illegal goods, without payment of legal duty (of course)" Would "bootlegger" fit? ("Smuggler" was given - frankly mine has even more double letters than the given response)
A bootlegger is generally associated (hey, two double letter words) with selling liquor in places where it is not allowed. It does fit the description, I think I'd take it.
The crux is there's no "legal duty" a bootlegger could pay to legally import alcohol to a dry location.
A generic smuggler, while they can be in the business of bringing illegal goods across borders, they also deal in goods legal on the other side, like cigarettes or, yes, alcohol, but you're taxed on the import.
Count my vote for BMS first, then wrong.

Got FJ thanks to BBC's Monarchy. The use of a singular prevented me from considering the Crown Jewels.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)