Tuesday, July 8, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by danspartan »

Oops from 1st that cost the game:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4044

1st and 2nd don't get it:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=873

(found 25 cases. 8 times 2nd did not wager all-in. 3 times first did not bet 0. One overlap.)

And just to show its not new

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=297

$1, she held back $1 to Chuck Freakin Forrest
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

7 in J! but 13 in DJ! Odd.

I thought "primary" was by far the easiest in Politics.

That Capitals category was tough. I think a clearer TOM would've helped on Tallahassee and Boise. Got the next two, but the three clues played between Capitals for $800 and Capitols for $1,000 were just enough time for the Hawaii gimmick to evaporate from my mind and leave me flummoxed on OOUU.

Ran "But", and got all but "gilded" in Age (NHOI).

0/5 in Politics, Shakespeare, Literary Clergy, and Must You Be Going?

Easy FJ! is easy.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

The FJ was so easy, I was thinking they were trying to trick people into saying evolution instead of evolve...Since the Latin form was a verb, it seems to me the response should be a verb as well...
I have no desire to be hard on Maire. If I ever get on the show, I hope I have an opponent just like her...
You mean those aren't real bands? I kind of like Coma Muppets...
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

$1 more could have given us the first three-way tie, but no.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I said Narcolepsy Muppets at the bottom of the band names category. I said NOOO! at Maire's FJ wager.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

danspartan wrote:And just to show its not new

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=297

$1, she held back $1 to Chuck Freakin Forrest
Ouch. When even Chuck Forrest gets the wager right.... :D
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Vermonter wrote:$1 more could have given us the first three-way tie, but no.
Henh- check out Islands in DJ for $1000.
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

skullturf wrote: I didn't like the band names category in the J round, and I find that I don't usually like those categories (even though I went 4 for 5 in this one). Am I just being fussy? Or do other people share my distaste for those categories? My favorite trivia questions rely on pre-existing interesting facts about the world, not "read the writer's mind and decide what two words the writer liked the sound of."
xxaaaxx wrote:OK so..J! writers, I have a suggestion. Find some lighter fluid, and pour it all over that Band Name category. Then set it on fire. Once the fire burns itself out (hopefully not before consuming your writers' notes for the rest of the season), flush the ashes down the toilet. For refreshment, stick your heads in the bowl while it swirls.
Tough but fair, haha. Yeah, that category was simply idiotic.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote:
esrever wrote:Not sure what Maire was thinking by wagering only $2600 of her $11,000 in FJ.
She was thinking it would be more important to tie Justin for 2nd place than possibly win $22,000.
Eh, I'm willing to allow the "under the lights" defence (aka the "Jeopardy Get Out Of Jail Free Card"), even though Alex pointed it out and did everything but wink beforehand (mainly because I'm always concerned of making this place look nice in case we have "visitors", like those who make incredibly bad wagers), but I'm also not going to detract the detractors.
Category 13 wrote:That was the ONLY scenario I would ever wager every dollar in a Final Jeopardy situation. Just discusting.
What if the FJ category was "Spelling"?
Category 13 wrote:
Vanya wrote: What direction would that be?
I suspect you jest, but I suppose there must be a portion of J! fans that are completely oblivious to the glaring partisanship on this show.
I know, I'm right there with you, I mean what does a show that is based on knowledge have any business dealing with provable and observable facts anyways?
opusthepenguin wrote:I also ran the state capitals category. I was surprised to find a number of complaints here about the difficulty. They all just clicked for me. Weird. Now ... for how many of you laggers was the $1000 clue in that category merely an instaget? And how many of you, like me, confidently called out Honolulu before the clue was revealed?
Yo. (Also found the category a lot easier than I thought.)
hscer wrote:
Vermonter wrote:Has anyone heard from Golf? I'm a bit worried.

Here's tonight's Final Wager video, hot off the presses

And as for the color coding in the blog recap, there is unfortunately no hex triplet smaller than #000000
Speaking as a web developer, #-1-1-1-1-1-1 sucks the text into a black hole from which light cannot escape. Want to redo this video with a different hex code, Vermonter?

---

Was anyone else bugged by the clue in the Politics category that showed the liberals in the French legislature as blue and the conservatives as red? I mean, I know most of y'all are Americans, but I'm sure boardies, if not a portion of the J! viewing public (and for sure the writers) know that America's use of red for conservatives and blue for liberals is backwards from the rest of the world, including France. (I mean red? Communists? Communists are to the left of the political spectrum? Was the cold war that long ago that people forgot that?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

xxaaaxx wrote:
xxaaaxx, yesterday wrote: Is it some sort of unwritten rule that 2nd place must make the all-in wager EXCEPT when it actually makes strategic sense? Yikes.
Maybe when I stop laughing I'll be able to form coherent thoughts, but for now I'll just repeat myself.
Do the contestants forget they don't get to keep their total?
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

xxaaaxx wrote:OK so..J! writers, I have a suggestion. Find some lighter fluid, and pour it all over that Band Name category. Then set it on fire. Once the fire burns itself out (hopefully not before consuming your writers' notes for the rest of the season), flush the ashes down the toilet. For refreshment, stick your heads in the bowl while it swirls.
Between that, the 'no consonants' caregory, and the usual FJ wager brain-fart, it was 'Wheel of Jeopardy!' again.
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Category 13 wrote:
esrever wrote:Not sure what Maire was thinking by wagering only $2600 of her $11,000 in FJ.
She was thinking it would be more important to tie Justin for 2nd place than possibly win $22,000.
Yup, guess she just wanted to guarantee that extra grand. Unbelievable. Shame really, because she did have some good gets early on -- unfortunately, she missed that DD which seemed to kill her momentum. I do think she would have had a good chance to win in a rematch, but I guess that's moot now. Campbell was like a machine for awhile there, I think he'll be tough to beat. I got FJ fairly quickly, using 'evolution' rather than 'evolve'.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

My thought today is that maybe Maire remembered the rule that if there is a tie after FJ, the person who led prior to FJ wins the tiebreaker, but under pressure forgot that it only applies to a 2nd-3rd tie. Therefore, she assumed she had no chance of winning, so decided to attempt to lock up 2nd. Possible?
Sheepin' it real.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

You don't think you're being a little harsh?

Naaahhhh. I don't either. My note on my score sheet was that the "Band Name" category was the stupidest category the writers have come up with in a long time. I think the writers are really stretching, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Then, the state capitals without consonants category (?) based on the distance of each answer from Hawaii, well I thought that was just as bad in the category of "stupid writer gimmicks." Have they run out of regular questions?

I didn't know what was going on when Maire missed on "The Exorcist" but then came back to get "The Thornbirds," which I thought was a much tougher clue.

Then came FJ. Rarely have I so wanted so badly to reach through the screen and strangle a contestant. Even after AT reminded them that she had exactly half the leader's score?????

As we've said so many times before, for those of us who have hoped for years to get our shot on the show, to see someone just absolutely throw away a chance to win?!?!?!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote:Somehow, a reasonably civil tone has been kept in here. So far.

Yeah, band name category was dreadful.

I used to live across the street from the Excorcist House. Had to get that one.
Wow. Talk about a tough neighborhood.

FWIW Lach Trash in Tallahassee, Venerable Bede, Isaak Walton, and Elmer Gantry. If I had really had $3400 going into FJ maybe I could have wagered $1 just in case Justin bet it all and missed.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

John Boy wrote:Have they run out of regular questions?
I believe Ken said something to the effect in Brainiac that there is a finite set of trivia questions. 230 x 61 x 30 could be coming close ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

lisa0012 wrote:Her wager was as bad as the Brazilian soccer team.
I made the comment at halftime that Brazil's team must have felt like Notre Dame did after the first half against Alabama two Januarys ago.

Ironic, then, that the Bama-ND game was referenced in J! tonight.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote:As we've said so many times before, for those of us who have hoped for years to get our shot on the show, to see someone just absolutely throw away a chance to win?!?!?!
A tie means that, in the grand scheme of things, one fewer person gets to be a contestant; those of you who haven't gotten to be on the show should be thankful.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

There should be a box in the weekly poll for "I spent part of my FJ think time trying to decide between evolve and evolution".

If you're smart enough to get on the show, you should be able to figure out this game's wagering scenario without having spent prep time studying wagering. But that ought to be true of the common wagering scenarios that contestants routinely blow. On the previous day's game the champ blew a win with a suicide wager from third place. Thinking about where your opponent will fall on an FJ miss isn't rocket science, it's seeing just one move ahead on a chess board.
Shmuel
Contributor

Post by Shmuel »

harrumph wrote:There should be a box in the weekly poll for "I spent part of my FJ think time trying to decide between evolve and evolution".
Seconded.