Trebek's replacement: short bench

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by floridagator »

It will be pretty tough to find a replacement. When AT was hired, there were many experienced daily hosts to choose from. Game shows were very big on daytime TV in the 1970s and into the 1980s. Even if a show was unsuccessful, they tended to use the host for something else. In 1984, there was a real pool of game show mavens: Trebek, Jim Peck, Bill Cullen, Wink Martindale, Chuck Woolery, Jim Lange, Geoff Edwards, Gene Rayburn, Monty Hall, to name the most prominent. But now after two decades of "The Price Is Right" being the only network daytime game show, there is no pool of talent experienced at hosting a daily game show. Drew Carey doesn't want it and they won't move Pat Sajak.

So they will probably have to hire someone who has never been a successful daily game show host.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8333
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Will Ferrell, obviously.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by Golf »

There's a recent thread that discusses this.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4993
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote:It will be pretty tough to find a replacement.
I think Alex does a fine job and all, but I don't really believe hosting a game show is that difficult.

User avatar
Vermonter
2003 College Champion
Posts: 1922
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by Vermonter »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
floridagator wrote:It will be pretty tough to find a replacement.
I think Alex does a fine job and all, but I don't really believe hosting a game show is that difficult.
That's what I said about NASCAR, but I quickly discovered I was wrong about that.

Alex does a great job of making the show about the game and not about him. It's very, very tough to do that when you're in the spotlight for half of the episode...
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

User avatar
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Fairhope, Alabama

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by psgola »

I really do think Dan Patrick is the favorite to be the next host. I've heard his interest in being the Jeopardy host, and just the fact that he's hosting Sports Jeopardy, gives him a leg up, and a proving ground to see if he could do it.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8777
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by dhkendall »

floridagator wrote:It will be pretty tough to find a replacement. When AT was hired, there were many experienced daily hosts to choose from. Game shows were very big on daytime TV in the 1970s and into the 1980s. Even if a show was unsuccessful, they tended to use the host for something else. In 1984, there was a real pool of game show mavens: Trebek, Jim Peck, Bill Cullen, Wink Martindale, Chuck Woolery, Jim Lange, Geoff Edwards, Gene Rayburn, Monty Hall, to name the most prominent. But now after two decades of "The Price Is Right" being the only network daytime game show, there is no pool of talent experienced at hosting a daily game show. Drew Carey doesn't want it and they won't move Pat Sajak.

So they will probably have to hire someone who has never been a successful daily game show host.
That seems to be the trend. Wayne Brady (Let's Make A Deal), Steve Harvey (Family Feud), Drew Carey (TPIR), all of them are known for being entertainers rather than game show hosts; in fact I'd say none of them have ever been game show hosts (I don't think Whose Line really counts as a "game show", after all if "the rules are made up and the points don't matter" (and the "contestants" always being the same), that places it more in the "entertainment show" genre than the "game show" genre.) I wouldn't be surprised if "entertainers" didn't at least make the short list for Jeopardy!, although it isn't really the same type of show as LMAD, FF, or TPIR (as has been pointed out before here, they require a much more different type of contestant, since they are different shows). To put it another way, can you see Alex Trebek really doing as good a job hosting any of those shows as their current hosts do?
psgola wrote:I really do think Dan Patrick is the favorite to be the next host. I've heard his interest in being the Jeopardy host, and just the fact that he's hosting Sports Jeopardy, gives him a leg up, and a proving ground to see if he could do it.
He's much more of a sports guy, though; that's his niche, and, while he'd be a good Jeopardy! host, he'd be a better Sports Jeopardy! host, and I think he'd rather be at the latter than the former as well.

Personally, the more I've thought about it, the more my vote is going to Todd Alan Crain. He is an "entertainer" for sure, but he's also proven to have the chops needed for the different type of hosting duties that the job needs.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 519
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:46 am

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by Mathew5000 »

dhkendall wrote:That seems to be the trend. Wayne Brady (Let's Make A Deal), Steve Harvey (Family Feud), Drew Carey (TPIR), all of them are known for being entertainers rather than game show hosts;
Don't forget Cedric the Entertainer!

User avatar
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:32 am
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY

What's old is new

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

The last thing the show needs is someone chosen to appeal to a younger, hipper audience. A week of Celebrity Jeopardy! is about all the dumbed-down show anybody should have to endure.

Though he's four years older than Alex, I nominate Dick Cavett.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8777
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: What's old is new

Post by dhkendall »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:The last thing the show needs is someone chosen to appeal to a younger, hipper audience. A week of Celebrity Jeopardy! is about all the dumbed-down show anybody should have to endure.

Though he's four years older than Alex, I nominate Dick Cavett.
Part of me agrees with you (whoa, who typed that?) since it's still very obvious that the Jeopardy! core demographic is the Geritol set. Part of me also disagrees with you because despite everything, TPTB doesn't want the core demographic to be the Geritol set, since they brought in the "young, hip" Clue Crew (which I'm sure you also hate, Sage), Celebrity J! (although I would guess they appeal to the oldsters as well), etc., since they *want* the younger people watching (and I really can't blame them). (This is why you have Jimmy Fallon taking over for Jay Leno (who took over from Johnny Carson).

If they *don't* have a new host that is obviously there to appeal to a younger, hipper audience, I'll eat my hat. Well, I'll eat an edible hat. Well, I'll put a cookie on my head and eat it. (HT sarah0114)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

My vote for Alex replacement goes to Sarah Foss of the clue crew. She records clues for auditions and I can see Jeopardy wanting to shake things up with a female host.
Other than that, i'd like to see Peter Segal of NPRs Wait, Wait. He has quiz show experience and may not require a lot of training.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2123
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by BobF »

I nominate Maggie!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by legendneverdies »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Though he's four years older than Alex, I nominate Dick Cavett.
It was reported on alt.tv.game-shows that when DIck Cavett hosted the little-remembered 1987 revival of College Bowl on the Disney Channel, he wasn't the best of hosts.

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1667
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by Leander »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:My vote for Alex replacement goes to Sarah Foss of the clue crew. She records clues for auditions and I can see Jeopardy wanting to shake things up with a female host.
Other than that, i'd like to see Peter Segal of NPRs Wait, Wait. He has quiz show experience and may not require a lot of training.
I think Segal is a brilliant choice. Not sure how telegenic he is, though.

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: What's old is new

Post by Vanya »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:The last thing the show needs is someone chosen to appeal to a younger, hipper audience. A week of Celebrity Jeopardy! is about all the dumbed-down show anybody should have to endure.

Though he's four years older than Alex, I nominate Dick Cavett.
I didn't know he was still alive. I'm pretty sure he would consider hosting a game show as a come-down.

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by Johnblue »

He's a fossil. Todd Crain would be a great replacement. Or that Jimmy guy from the clue crew.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: What's old is new

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:The last thing the show needs is someone chosen to appeal to a younger, hipper audience. A week of Celebrity Jeopardy! is about all the dumbed-down show anybody should have to endure.

Though he's four years older than Alex, I nominate Dick Cavett.
I like the thought, but I do feel we need someone younger than Alex. I nominate Charlie Rose. Naturally, that would also involve switching to a 90-minute, once-a-week format. Don't knock the idea until you've seen the first batch of contestant interviews.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: What's old is new

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:Part of me agrees with you (whoa, who typed that?) since it's still very obvious that the Jeopardy! core demographic is the Geritol set. Part of me also disagrees with you because despite everything, TPTB doesn't want the core demographic to be the Geritol set, since they brought in the "young, hip" Clue Crew (which I'm sure you also hate, Sage), Celebrity J! (although I would guess they appeal to the oldsters as well), etc., since they *want* the younger people watching (and I really can't blame them). (This is why you have Jimmy Fallon taking over for Jay Leno (who took over from Johnny Carson).
Yeah! How come hosts don't get younger until they retire and then we replace them with an older, more experienced person?
dhkendall wrote:If they *don't* have a new host that is obviously there to appeal to a younger, hipper audience, I'll eat my hat. Well, I'll eat an edible hat. Well, I'll put a cookie on my head and eat it. (HT sarah0114)
More of a CT, really.

User avatar
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:28 am
Contact:

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by ArthurChu »

The biological/demographic reality is they HAVE to appeal to a younger, hipper set or their audience is simply going to die off in the near future.

It might be different if Jeopardy! were and always had been an "old people's show" that people "aged into" but that's not actually the case -- Jeopardy! is a show whose audience has been aging along with it (and with its host) and trying to get to that audience's kids without a whole ton of success.

There is a hard core of young people -- I'm one of them -- who really like the show, but they tend to watch it differently than the older "core" demographic and things that appeal to the one don't appeal to the other. (I'm not talking the Clue Crew, I'm talking about stuff like the contestants they enjoy watching, the kind of gameplay they like, the kind of commentary they engage with -- oh, why be coy, I'm basically talking about me.)

This is probably the reason for that survey that SPE sent to people a while back that they were talking about, especially for their questions about "second screen" watching and engaging with Twitter/social media.

User avatar
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Trebek's replacement: short bench

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Leander wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:My vote for Alex replacement goes to Sarah Foss of the clue crew. She records clues for auditions and I can see Jeopardy wanting to shake things up with a female host.
Other than that, i'd like to see Peter Segal of NPRs Wait, Wait. He has quiz show experience and may not require a lot of training.
I think Segal is a brilliant choice. Not sure how telegenic he is, though.
Wait, Wait broadcasted a live show in theaters last year and he looked pretty good doing it.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K

Post Reply