Wednesday, July 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6878, 2014-07-09

CONTESTANTS
Nick Lasik, a bartender from Portland, Oregon
Sara Tess Neumann, a museum educator from Quincy, Massachusetts
Campbell Warner, a military attorney originally from Rock Hill, South Carolina (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, ladies and gentlemen. Our champion didn't earn a penny in Final Jeopardy! and still won a total of $22,000. What will happen today as he faces Sara Tess and Nick? Let's start finding out. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. Good luck to all of you. Here we go. The categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SPOT THE MAMMAL (4/5)
11-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT (4/5)
MEASURING DEVICES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POP CULTURE COLLEGE COURSES (5/5)
"AMEN" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nick: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Campbell: 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Sara Tess: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Campbell: $3,400
Nick: $2,800
Sara Tess: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Nick Lasik has a great job. He's a bartender. Nick, it's been my experience with contestants on Jeopardy! that there are a lot of trivia games that, uh, take place in bars.

Nick: Yeah.

Alex: And a lot of your patrons get to watch Jeopardy! in the evening. Is that true of your place also?

Nick: That is true. Absolutely. Not at my place, but I've gone to many bars that have done it. I've done some pub trivia myself over the years. Yeah.

Alex: You like being a bartender?

Nick: I love it. I love it. I've been doing it for 15 years. And it's --it's --I get to throw a party every night. I get to lift people up when they're down and help celebrate 'em with their --when they're up.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Nick: Yeah.

Alex: Sara Tess Neumann is a museum educator who works at the Old North Church in Boston.

Sara Tess: Yes. It's on the Boston Freedom Trail. Um, so I give tours and talks about the history of the church there. And I also work in our colonial chocolate shop. I get to wear colonial clothes and give presentations on how chocolate was made in the 18th century.

Alex: And do you give out free samples?

Sara Tess: Yes, and it's delicious. [Laughs]

Alex: I'm sure it is.

Alex: All right, Campbell Warner is our champion. Uh, like so many contestants on Jeopardy! he's a movie fan. But I betcha you cannot in a hundred years imagine what his favorite motion picture is. Tell them.

Campbell: That would be Ghostbusters.

Alex: Ghostbusters.

Campbell: Yes.

Alex: Who you gonna call?

Campbell: Ghostbusters.

Alex: What is it about that movie that gets you?

Campbell: Uh, it was one of my favorite movies growing up as a kid. And it's, uh, never worn off for me. It's very quotable. It's very well-written. So it's --it's always enjoyable to watch.

Alex: Aside from "Who you gonna call?" what's your favorite line from the film?

Campbell: Uh, probably not one that I should repeat on broadcast TV.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh, okay. Isn't that "he slimed me" --isn't that in that movie, too?

Campbell: It is.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Campbell found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Campbell had $4,400, Sara Tess had $400, and Nick was at $3,600. Campbell wagered $1,000.

MEASURING DEVICES $1000: An ebullioscope is used to determine this in liquids
(Campbell: What is...transparency?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT $1000: In May 1895 this author was sentenced to 2 years at hard labor, mostly served at Reading Gaol

SPOT THE MAMMAL $1000: Albatross,
pangolin,
darter

MEASURING DEVICES $200: The name of this automobile instrument comes from the Greek for "measure" & "way"
(Nick: What is speedometer?)
(Campbell: What is a tripometer?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Campbell: $6,200
Nick: $5,200
Sara Tess: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LONDON SPRAWLING (3/5)
SYNONYMS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NURSERY RHYME CATS (1/5)
NONFICTION BOOKS ON THE BIG SCREEN (5/5)
THE WEST (3/5)
"Y": ME (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Campbell: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Nick: 8 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Sara Tess: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Campbell snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Campbell had $10,200, Sara Tess had $2,600, and Nick was at $8,400. Campbell wagered $2,200.

"Y": ME $1600: I was a humble 19th century Japanese organ maker, yet today my name is on guitars, MP3 players & motorcycles

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Nick who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Campbell had $19,200, Sara Tess had $2,600, and Nick was at $9,600. Nick wagered $2,000.

SYNONYMS $1600: "Apex" is from the Latin; this 4-letter synonym is from the Greek for "point"
(Alex: You can see the score.)
(Nick: Yeah. Yeah, I can.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE WEST $800: This state capital came into being in one day, on April 22, 1889, when 50,000 swarmed onto 2 million acres
(Nick: What is Salt Lake City?)
(Sara Tess: What is Sacramento?)

THE WEST $2000: Though he had a Native American wife, Kit Carson followed orders to subdue this people & relocate 8,000 in New Mexico

LONDON SPRAWLING $1200: The British Museum is in this London neighborhood once home to a famous writers' "group"

LONDON SPRAWLING $1600: A post-WWII planning act surrounded London with a ring of open land known by this colorful name

NURSERY RHYME CATS $800: "Little Robin" this "sat upon a tree, up went Pussycat and down went he"

NURSERY RHYME CATS $1200: For losing their mittens, the 3 little kittens "began to cry" & were denied this dessert by their mother

SYNONYMS $1200: "To moo like a cow" & "degraded" are synonyms for 2 different definitions of this 3-letter word

NURSERY RHYME CATS $1600: With a crooked one of these coins, the crooked man "bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse"

NURSERY RHYME CATS $2000: "The gingham dog and" this feline "side by side on the table sat"
(Nick: Who is the Cheshire cat?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Campbell: $19,200
Nick: $11,600
Sara Tess: $2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Campbell: Wager $4,001 to cover Nick, but no more than $13,999 so as not to fall behind Sara Tess's doubled score.
Nick: You have the hope of surpassing Campbell if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,601 to force Campbell to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $6,399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Sara Tess.
Sara Tess: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The constitution of this country allows the monarch to abdicate, which has happened in 1948, 1980 & 2013

FINAL SCORES
Sara Tess: $2,600 - $2,500 = $100 (What is Monacco?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Nick: $11,600 - $11,600 = $0 (What is Japan?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Campbell: $19,200 - $4,000 = $15,200 (What is Bahrain?) (2-day champion: $37,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Campbell: $19,600, 21 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Nick: $11,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Sara Tess: $2,600, 6 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $33,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Campbell: 21/60 = .350
Nick: 20/59 = .339
Sara Tess: 6/58 = .103
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
11-LETTER WORDS $1000: The ability to set things on fire by psychic power
[NOTE: There was no applause for Campbell's run of the category.]

MEASURING DEVICES $400: The measuring device seen here is used by Italian chefs to prepare the proper quantity of this

MEASURING DEVICES $600: When making beer or wine, you might want to use a saccharometer to measure the concentration of this in a solution
(Campbell: What is alcohol?)

POP CULTURE COLLEGE COURSES $600: M.I.T. offered "Topics in Comparative Media: American Pro" this; I'll break a folding chair on your head if you mess up!
(Nick: What is Professional [*]?)

THE WEST $400: Seen here 3,000 feet up is William Henry Jackson, who was the official one of these for the U.S. Geological Survey of the Territory

THE WEST $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) In 1863, the Central Pacific Railroad broke ground in Sacramento, & the Union Pacific Railroad did the same in Omaha. The 1869 joining of the two in Promontory, Utah, was symbolized by this 2-word item

NURSERY RHYME CATS $400: After the Owl & the Pussy-cat were married, "they danced by the light of" this
(Nick: What is [*] silvery [*]?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the boiling point
Oscar Wilde
the pangolin
odometer
(Torakusu) Yamaha
acme
Oklahoma City
the Navajo
Bloomsbury
the Green Belt
Redbreast
pie
low
a sixpence
the calico cat
the Netherlands
pyrokinesis
spaghetti
sugar
Wrestling
a photographer
the Golden Spike
the moon
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Constitutional Monarchies
The Constitution of this country allows the monarch to abdicate, which has happened in 1948, 1980 & 2013.

Spoiler
What is the Netherlands? Sara Tess said Monaco; Nick said Japan; Campbell said Bahrain.

Campbell Warner: $19,200-$4,000=$15,200...now a 2-day champion with $37,200
Nick Lasik: $11,600-$11,600=$0
Sara Tess Neumann: $2,600-$2,500=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "Spot the Mammal". Almost precalled the first one because I had an inkling they'd slip a mustelid in there somewhere.

Lach Trash: Pangolin, pie, low.

I assume they all had the same brain fart I did on odometer: "oh, not speedometer, not pedometer, not trip meter… argh, what is it? This is so obvious, what is it?!" Exactly my thoughts on that one.

What led to "photographer" on West for $400?

Nursery Rhyme Cats was quite tough. Can't say I've heard of The Owl and the Pussycat.

So that's what bangs are. I honestly had no idea.

No guess on FJ! The Netherlands are a monarchy?!?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Congrats on #2, Campbell!
TenPoundHammer wrote:I assume they all had the same brain fart I did on odometer: "oh, not speedometer, not pedometer, not trip meter… argh, what is it? This is so obvious, what is it?!" Exactly my thoughts on that one.
Stunned that no one got that.
I'm gonna go with a guy with a camera.

Flailed with FJ. I knew it wasn't any of the Scandinavian countries, as they've all reigned roughly forever. Forgot about Holland and went with Spain.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash: "Oscar Wilde", "pangolin", "Oklahoma City", "green belt", "pie", "low", "sixpence"

Didn't get FJ. I didn't even guess. I think this one will poll below 30 percent.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got "odometer", but I still had a couple of brain farts on things I should have known but just couldn't blurt out the word in time. Still had a good game, though. I had a very good J round, but the Nursery Rhyme cats really cost me in the DJ round. Four of my nine misses were in that category.

Being Canadian, I was pleased to see the FJ category, figuring that I might have an advantage (especially if the clue turned out to be about Canada!)

If you've spent a lot of time studying which countries are monarchies and who their current monarchs are, that obviously makes it easier. I thought this FJ was a lot harder than yesterday's and wasn't completely surprised to see it be a triple stumper, but if you happen to be up on your 20th century monarchs then that obviously helps.

2013 was the biggest hint for me, and I knew another queen of the Netherlands had abdicated around 1980. I'm not positive I could have told you that there were three abdications in the last 70 years, but it doesn't matter: being vaguely familiar with two of the three dates was good enough.
dcvio
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by dcvio »

Lach Trash was pangolin, Wilde.

I guessed FJ immediately, but second guessed myself-- "Was Beatrix's abdication 2013 or 2014?"
Shmuel
Contributor

Post by Shmuel »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Can't say I've heard of The Owl and the Pussycat.
I knew that one, but I will admit it has not aged well.

Bonus fact: its author, Edward Lear, popularized the limerick form. (Most of his would fall short of contemporary standards on two grounds: [a] he usually used the same word to end the first and last lines, and they weren't dirty.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:I'm gonna go with a guy with a camera.
I went back and re-looked at that image, and I still don't see a camera. I see a blurry, microscopic little thing that MIGHT possibly be a tripod. Or a surveyor's tripod thingie. Or three really really big toothpicks.

Given that he was on a mountainside, I almost WAGged "mountain climber".
Leander

Post by Leander »

ESPN showed the new king of the Netherlands at one of the World Cup matches, which made it top of mind and I got this FJ pretty quickly.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Go Army!

Stunned that Oscar Wilde was a miss, considering one of his most famous works is "The Ballad of Reading Gaol." And people overwhelming a state = Oklahoma land rush = Oklahoma City.

And was equally stunned that FJ was a triple-stumper... but then again, I'm a history geek and got it right away.

Looking forward to seeing Army continue his winning ways (at least he didn't have to pack more than one change of clothes... :-) )
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I wonder if the Ghostbusters quote not appropriate for TV was Bill Murray saying "Yes, it's true. This man has no [body part]."
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I have a friend who teaches courses and has edited books on The Philosophy of Star Trek and The Philosophy of House. I was distracted for a clue or two thinking,"OMG. Her class was mentioned on Jeopardy!" Then I remembered she teaches at Gallaudet, not Catholic.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Will33
Contributor

Post by Will33 »

It appears after a while, the men are back in charge.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

It took me a second to process that the clue referring to "this Catholic university in DC" was not referring to Catholic University. Guessed Spain for FJ, but the king of Spain abdicated this year, not last year.
cwarner

Post by cwarner »

BADuBois wrote:Go Army!

Stunned that Oscar Wilde was a miss, considering one of his most famous works is "The Ballad of Reading Gaol." And people overwhelming a state = Oklahoma land rush = Oklahoma City.

And was equally stunned that FJ was a triple-stumper... but then again, I'm a history geek and got it right away.

Looking forward to seeing Army continue his winning ways (at least he didn't have to pack more than one change of clothes... :-) )
Thanks! Not gonna lie...it was awesome not having to bring multiple outfits.
skullturf wrote:I wonder if the Ghostbusters quote not appropriate for TV was Bill Murray saying "Yes, it's true. This man has no [body part]."
Not quite...my favorite is "Let's show this prehistoric [expletive deleted] how we do things downtown." Close second is "We came, we saw, we kicked its [other body part]!"
alamble

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote:Congrats on #2, Campbell!
TenPoundHammer wrote:I assume they all had the same brain fart I did on odometer: "oh, not speedometer, not pedometer, not trip meter… argh, what is it? This is so obvious, what is it?!" Exactly my thoughts on that one.
Stunned that no one got that.
I'm gonna go with a guy with a camera.

Flailed with FJ. I knew it wasn't any of the Scandinavian countries, as they've all reigned roughly forever. Forgot about Holland and went with Spain.
Given that Juan Carlos just abdicated a couple of weeks ago, it's not too surprising that Spain was top of mind.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Campbell has represented the Army well. I suspect that he may have learned at least the basics of wagering.

LT: Oscar Wilde, odometer, Oklahoma City & Bloomsbury. Instaget FJ. I'm just into that royalty stuff.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 out of 60.

Spot: 3/5 11-Letter: 4/5 Arrest: 3/5 Measure: 0/5 College: 4/5 "Amen": 0/5
London: 3/5 Syn: 0/5 Cats: 2/5 Nonfiction: 4/5 West: 3/5 Y: 2/5

Lach trash: "pangolin" (wild guess), "Oklahoma City", "pie"

I knew FJ wasn't Spain, because Juan Carlos just abdicated, but I wasn't sure if Beatrix abdicated or not. I decided to go with the Netherlands right before the answers were revealed.