Thursday, July 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, July 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

cosmos wrote:A rock lobster is not a type lobster. The clue specified "does not have claws" and everyone knows that lobsters have claws and that can't be correct. The response was wrong even the category did not have "rock" in quotes. You can't be more specific if you've already named the wrong family of crustacean.
This pushes one of my buttons. A rock lobster is not a type of lobster IN TERMS OF BIOLOGICAL TAXONOMY. Taxonomy is not reality. It's a convenience. It's a way of classifying organisms for a specific purpose by privileging certain similarities and relationships while ignoring others. There's nothing wrong with that. It can be quite helpful. But there's nothing ultimately right or true about it either.

This particularly drives me nuts when Science or The Law or whatever appropriates an ordinary English word and then tells us we're wrong if we don't use that word in their new specific way. It is not, e.g., wrong to refer to an act as "murder" when it's "technically manslaughter" unless one is trying to make a legally technical point.

Depending on the clue, it may or may not be relevant that marine biology does not classify a rock lobster as a type of lobster. In this case, had the "rock" not been in quotes, a BMS would have been completely warranted.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If I had a pet rock lobster (already sort of a pun in itself), I'd name it Dwayne. Dwayne the Rock Lobster—get it?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote:If I had a pet rock lobster (already sort of a pun in itself), I'd name it Dwayne. Dwayne the Rock Lobster—get it?
I smell what you're cookin'
billiej

Post by billiej »

ElendilPickle wrote:Instaget FJ - I didn't know the formula, but thought "delicate...heavenly...something chemical...must be ethereal."
I went the same route, except for some reason I kept wanting to say "ephemeral". I knew that was the wrong word, and the one I was looking for sounded kind of like it. Finally about 20 seconds in it came to me. Recall seems to get a little slower as one ages, ugh.... :roll:
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

My guess was buttercup from butane
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Sorry to bump,but do you think "behemoth" would be accepted for THE 2 H CLUB for $2000?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

countyguy wrote:Sorry to bump,but do you think "behemoth" would be accepted for THE 2 H CLUB for $2000?
I would guess no although you are in the wrong thread for asking. Since your request is from the Friday free Slurpee day game I won't quote the clue. It is helpful for judging decisions in the future if the game is not fresh to remind us of the wording instead of necessitating the extra steps to the archive.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I guess that's what you get for watching multiple J! games back to back. A few months back, I thought Julia's opponent Aimee had the DD about presidential initials (you may remember said contestant and category). The presidential initials turned out to be from the game a few days earlier.