Thursday, July 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cosmos »

FJ clue: This adjective can mean "delicate", "heavenly" or, in chemistry, "related to C[sub]4[/sub]H[sub]10[/sub]O"

I see a possible problem. By writing "or" instead of "and" they might make it possible for "etheric" to be correct, since that word and "ethereal" both mean related to ether. But "this" is singular, implying only one single word meets the requirements of the entire clue. In other words, I don't think "etheric" can mean "delicate" so it should be wrong but there could well be an argument.

edit: After giving it more thought, I believe "etheric" has to be accepted as a correct response.
Last edited by cosmos on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

For FJ, neither my wife or I recognized the formula.
All we could think of was saccharine, but knew that didn't have anything to do with 'delicate'.

After thinking about the answer some more, I didn't think ethereal had anything to do with the gas 'ether', but with the stuff that was supposed to be in the heavens (in space) between the heavenly bodies, transmitting waves of light. Perhaps the formula was just a secondary clue to help us get to answer it 'ether' way.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

C4H10O is also the formula for butanol, which is something i work with frequently so then I thought bucolic which didnt seem to fit but my brain was stuck and I completely whiffed. In my defense, I've never worked with ether so probably why I didnt get there. Completely ignored the rest of the clue since I work in the general field of biochemistry.

n-Butanol CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2OH (4 carbon chain with an alcohol group)

ether CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3 (2 ethane joined with an ether linkage)
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I also got stuck on butanol and could go no further. Glad I'm not the only one!
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Why was the bartender dinged for the Rock Lobster question? I didn't understand Alex's explanation.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

PeteMoss wrote:Why was the bartender dinged for the Rock Lobster question? I didn't understand Alex's explanation.

Neither did I.
Last edited by Peggles on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Zee2 wrote:
NoName84 wrote:Separatists instead of Pilgrims; judges?
I believe that "Pilgrims" was wrong and "Puritans" should have been accepted. The clue referred to the group that was persecuted. The persecuted group were Puritans. They didn't become "pilgrims" until they left on their "pilgrimage."

What do you all think? I don't think it would have affected the final outcome, as it was.
No. And "Puritans" should have been negged rather than BMSed. The Pilgrims and Puritans were two totally different groups, though they are often confused. The Pilgrims had separated from the Church of England. The Puritans wanted to stay in it and "purify" it (thus their name). The Pilgrims arrived in 1620 and founded the Plymouth colony. The Puritans arrived in 1630 and founded the Massachusetts colony. These were two separate colonies until 1691.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

PeteMoss wrote:Why was the bartender dinged for the Rock Lobster question? I didn't understand Alex's explanation.
Because the category indicated the responses had to include "rock" and his initial response of "lobster" did not meet that criterion.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

A rock lobster is not a true lobster. It belongs to a different family of crustaceans. That makes it harder than usual to be generous with a BMS, especially when they say "does not have claws" in the clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I ran Animals (second day in a row they've had a mustelid in a clue!) and surprisingly, Square. "Austerity" (NHOI) was my only miss in Difficult.

What led to Ireland on Whiskey for $200?

"The Doctor Is In" was a stupid miss. I focused entirely on "Psychiatric Help 5¢" and couldn't remember what the rest of Lucy's sign said.

Three ways to figure out the word, and I missed all three. The only time I've ever encountered the word "ethereal" is in the RPG TaskMaker, so I figured it was just a word they made up. I also didn't know that "ether" was something specific; I thought it was a vague catchall like, say, "potion".
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 out of 60.

Thoreau: 3/5 Animals: 4/5 Geo: 5/5 Whiskey: 1/5 "Rock": 2/5 Chaser: 3/5
Stage: 0/5 Musical: 4/5 "S": 0/5 Pirates: 2/5 Square: 3/5 Difficult: 3/5

Lach trash: "Pilgrims", "the doctor is in"

Only thought of angelic for FJ- didn't know that the formula was for ether.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

According to my dictionary, "whisky" is used especially for Scotch or Canadian whiskey. I honestly don't understand the clue. Presumably Connemara is a place in Ireland and they spell it "whiskey" there, and "E" is the first letter of Eire. That's a lot for a $200 clue!
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I also didn't know that "ether" was something specific; I thought it was a vague catchall like, say, "potion".
“The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. Probably at the next gas station.”

- Hunter Thompson

You should get out more.
Golf

Post by Golf »

cosmos wrote:According to my dictionary, "whisky" is used especially for Scotch or Canadian whiskey. I honestly don't understand the clue. Presumably Connemara is a place in Ireland and they spell it "whiskey" there, and "E" is the first letter of Eire. That's a lot for a $200 clue!
Connemara is a region on the west coast of Ireland, clue was a piece of cake if you've been there. :D

It's a cool place to visit. Forget Dublin, too many people, not enough scenery.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

GEOGRAPHICAL HISTORY $400: This persecuted group fled England in 1609 & lived in The Netherlands for 11 years before crossing the Atlantic

Okay, fine the Puritans are guessed. That I can understand. I don't get the BMS from the judges/Alex. What I really do not not understand is the lack of rebound. Campbell: Any insight?

Alex's explanation for the rock lobster neg was Alex messed up. Lobster without the "rock" when "Rock" was in the category name means there should not have been a second chance on it. Neg city. It should not have needed a break to happen.

The roulette wheel came up green tonight to have Che/Evita as a TS. More often than not I would think the $2000 is collected.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to use the "I" word here even if I am using it about myself? Let's try, I'm a real knucklehead. I thought of ether and moved on because it was not an adjective. Dainty was my guess going off delicate and not being able to make a connection (or so I thought) to heavenly and the formula.

I got to ether just by quickly brainstorming some formulas/chemical things and having methane, propane, ammonia, nitrous oxide, and because of the last one, ether pop in my head.

Nice work by Jen to make the 3rd place, but sole solve save the day for her.

Yes, that would have been a wild 3-way tie if Jen had missed.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Memo to the writers that has spoilers for FJ! category names Monday - Wednesday of this week:
Spoiler
How about a little more variety, please?

GOVERNMENT
SCIENCE WORDS
CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHIES
IN THE DICTIONARY
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Peggles wrote:
Neither did I.
It's the (Northern) Ireland rule. You can't BMS an explicitly wrong response to get the right one. "Lobster" is explicitly wrong due to category rules.
Golf wrote:
cosmos wrote:According to my dictionary, "whisky" is used especially for Scotch or Canadian whiskey. I honestly don't understand the clue. Presumably Connemara is a place in Ireland and they spell it "whiskey" there, and "E" is the first letter of Eire. That's a lot for a $200 clue!
Connemara is a region on the west coast of Ireland, clue was a piece of cake if you've been there. :D
Or if you're a drunkard!! *hic*

Ethereal is a common adjective in RPGs for items, so figuring the formula was 'ether' I then knew 'ethereal' was a word which I then knew worked for the other words.
(How did I figure the formula was for ether? I don't know entirely, but isn't it traditional to end the alcohols with an -OH? C4 H9 OH? That or I totally mucked it up and thought it was ethanol and not ether... (see drunkard remark. :lol: ))
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Stern Pinball and Jersey Jack Pinball will be somewhat surprised by Pete's assertion that pinball machines aren't being made anymore. I'm sorry to hear the bar where he tends doesn't have recent releases (if any).
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Were they really called the pilgrims until they left Europe? How was Puritans not correct?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

NoName84 wrote:Separatists instead of Pilgrims; judges?
Why was that even a BMS? 'Puritans' referred to their 'religious group'.