Thursday, July 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by yclept »

jeopardyhopeful wrote:I really enjoyed this game. Jen impressed me with that FJ get. I'm guessing that's going to poll VERY low. I think maybe she overbet in FJ, though. If Pete had only bet $7,600, which I think is very reasonable (to cover a Jen all-in), then she would have lost if she had gotten the response wrong. If she bet less than $4,600, though, she would have won even if she missed the FJ clue.
It could be that she observed that the champ offered a tie in his previous game (assuming she saw it). In her mind, she may be thinking that since she observed it, the guy in second also observed it. That increases his likelihood to go "all in". If that is her thought process, she can essentially eliminate thinking about him in her strategy.

One thing that seems certain is that the wagers were not random numbers....both players played to beat the champ by a buck if he made a lock-out wager, or tie him if he offered up a tie. The only difference is that Jen seemingly just eliminated the second place player from her overall thinking.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

Hooray for outchanging Michigeese! ;)

The best I could come up with was sugar, so I said "dulcet", thinking maybe dulcet tones were heavenly somehow.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

zakharov wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Will33 wrote:So much for thinking the male domination was back lol.
Yeah...I think the producers are doing this only to not have another male make it to the 2014 ToC. It's like a sabotage...
Stop now.
There's always Big Brother where the guys are running the house there so far this season.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Okay, fine the Puritans are guessed. That I can understand. I don't get the BMS from the judges/Alex. What I really do not not understand is the lack of rebound. Campbell: Any insight?
Lights! Camera! Inaction!

Seemed like your ordinary brain freeze to me.
MarkBarrett wrote:I'm not sure if I am allowed to use the "I" word here even if I am using it about myself? Let's try, I'm a real knucklehead. I thought of ether and moved on because it was not an adjective.
You eeeeeeeeeeeediot!!!!!!!! There. See? No "I" word. :D

Also? Another example of your ordinary brain freeze. Did you have some lights shining on you or something?
Ah, the Ren loophole. Good one. Since I've already been on the show I no longer have to play the FJ! clue standing up on a phone book, with lights shining on me and the TV 25' away. In the Dictionary is one of those categories where I defeat myself upon its reveal.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

John Boy wrote:
whatisbishkek wrote:
PeteMoss wrote:Why was the bartender dinged for the Rock Lobster question? I didn't understand Alex's explanation.
Because the category indicated the responses had to include "rock" and his initial response of "lobster" did not meet that criterion.
So the category name included the word "rock," and his response did not. My thought on that was, "if the category name is 'bridges,' and the clue is looking for the Golden Gate Bridge, and the contestant answers "What is the Golden Gate?", then that is a correct response because the word "bridge" (as in "What is the Golden Gate Bridge?") is implied in the category or in the clue or both. It's not necessary to repeat the word "bridge" in the answer.

And if that is how the rules are applied, then I don't know why he was negged for not specifying ROCK lobster. Am I confused?
The distinction here is whether or not the category has a word in quotation marks. If the category was Bridges, "What is the Golden Gate?" would be correct. If the category contained the word "Bridge" in quotation marks, this would indicate that a correct response would have to contain that word, so leaving it out would result in being incorrect.

Another way to think about this: presumably in the category Bridges, the clues would be looking for various bridges. That's different from a category with a word in quotation marks - the clues in the "Rock" category weren't looking for various rocks. The Golden Gate Bridge is a specific bridge. A rock lobster is not a type of rock.
Leonardisawesome
Contributor

Post by Leonardisawesome »

Does anyone remember what the "Herald Square" clue was? Wouldn't they also have had to accept "Time Square" as a response?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Leonardisawesome wrote:Does anyone remember what the "Herald Square" clue was? Wouldn't they also have had to accept "Time Square" as a response?
It said that the square was mentioned in "Give My Regards to Broadway", and it asked for a defunct newspaper if I'm not mistaken.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
zakharov wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Yeah...I think the producers are doing this only to not have another male make it to the 2014 ToC. It's like a sabotage...
Stop now.
There's always Big Brother where the guys are running the house there so far this season.
My favorite character at this point is Devin's daughter. I'm rooting for her to escape.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

lieph82 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
zakharov wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Stop now.
My favorite character at this point is Devin's daughter. I'm rooting for her to escape.
It was looking like it would become a strategically uninteresting season but the contestants were too young and combustible to see the alliance through. Give the producers credit for picking enough loose cannons.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leonardisawesome wrote:Does anyone remember what the "Herald Square" clue was? Wouldn't they also have had to accept "Time Square" as a response?
First off, it's Times Square, so Time Square would be outright incorrect (yes, I realize it's nearly impossible to tell the difference when spoken). Second ... what TPH said.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

whatisbishkek wrote:
John Boy wrote:
whatisbishkek wrote:
PeteMoss wrote:Why was the bartender dinged for the Rock Lobster question? I didn't understand Alex's explanation.
Because the category indicated the responses had to include "rock" and his initial response of "lobster" did not meet that criterion.
So the category name included the word "rock," and his response did not. My thought on that was, "if the category name is 'bridges,' and the clue is looking for the Golden Gate Bridge, and the contestant answers "What is the Golden Gate?", then that is a correct response because the word "bridge" (as in "What is the Golden Gate Bridge?") is implied in the category or in the clue or both. It's not necessary to repeat the word "bridge" in the answer.

And if that is how the rules are applied, then I don't know why he was negged for not specifying ROCK lobster. Am I confused?
The distinction here is whether or not the category has a word in quotation marks. If the category was Bridges, "What is the Golden Gate?" would be correct. If the category contained the word "Bridge" in quotation marks, this would indicate that a correct response would have to contain that word, so leaving it out would result in being incorrect.

Another way to think about this: presumably in the category Bridges, the clues would be looking for various bridges. That's different from a category with a word in quotation marks - the clues in the "Rock" category weren't looking for various rocks. The Golden Gate Bridge is a specific bridge. A rock lobster is not a type of rock.
I went back and reviewed the show. 4 of the 5 clues had the letters "rock" in them, i.e. bedrock, shamrock, et al. Rock Lobster was the only "question" in which the word "rock" was a separate word.
Last edited by PeteMoss on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

A rock lobster is not a type lobster. The clue specified "does not have claws" and everyone knows that lobsters have claws and that can't be correct. The response was wrong even the category did not have "rock" in quotes. You can't be more specific if you've already named the wrong family of crustacean.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Does Ted Ligety do DayQuil commercials? Good game with a tough FJ. I liked the military guy.
He does. They were all over NBC's coverage of the Games this year.
Ah, that explains why I was puzzled by the "DayQuil" ref (and more puzzled by the fact they actually chose to lowercase it, would DAYQUIL not be good enough?). I don't watch the NBC coverage, even if I was an American I wouldn't, I've compared the two and NBC's coverage fails on so many counts. (I WAGged "Vicks" as a possible last name with the obvious TOM)
TenPoundHammer wrote:
It said that the square was mentioned in "Give My Regards to Broadway", and it asked for a defunct newspaper if I'm not mistaken.
Indeed you are right, which is why I flagellated myself after answering the same "Times Square". (Plus, I seem to recall it was in the lower half of the board, Times Square doesn't usually appear there given its fame.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

dhkendall wrote:
alamble wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Does Ted Ligety do DayQuil commercials? Good game with a tough FJ. I liked the military guy.
He does. They were all over NBC's coverage of the Games this year.
Ah, that explains why I was puzzled by the "DayQuil" ref (and more puzzled by the fact they actually chose to lowercase it, would DAYQUIL not be good enough?). I don't watch the NBC coverage, even if I was an American I wouldn't, I've compared the two and NBC's coverage fails on so many counts. (I WAGged "Vicks" as a possible last name with the obvious TOM)
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Indeed you are right, which is why I flagellated myself after answering the same "Times Square". (Plus, I seem to recall it was in the lower half of the board, Times Square doesn't usually appear there given its fame.)
I vaugely remember a cartoon, whose writers must have assumed that Herald Square was renamed Times Square, in which the lyric was changed to 'Remember me to old Times Square'. It was years before I learned the difference.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

whatisbishkek wrote:
John Boy wrote:
whatisbishkek wrote:

But it is a specific type of lobster, and he said lobster. Maybe I'm just overthinking this. Never mind.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: But it is a specific type of lobster, and he said lobster. Maybe I'm just overthinking this. Never mind.
You are. It's simple: You cannot BMS an explicitly wrong answer. "What is Lobster?" did not have 'rock' in it, explicitly wrong due to category rules.

(Strictly speaking 'lobster' would be wrong for a crustacean themed clue for 'rock lobster' too but I have a feeling TPTB would let it go; it's a little more nuanced. Maybe if it was Marine Biologist week...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Volante wrote:
John Boy wrote: But it is a specific type of lobster, and he said lobster. Maybe I'm just overthinking this. Never mind.
You are. It's simple: You cannot BMS an explicitly wrong answer. "What is Lobster?" did not have 'rock' in it, explicitly wrong due to category rules.
So if there was a clue whose intended response was "German Shepherd", and the contestant said "dog":

-- that would get a BMS if the category was "Animals" or "Potpourri", but it would get a neg if the category was "G.S." or "Four-Syllable Terms".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I remember a guy in the '90s getting negged in a "Flying" category because he said, "What is a UFO?"
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

WAY TO GO JEN!!!!!! YOU ARE FABULOUS!!! Even though I liked Campbell, when I found out Jen was from Jackson, MI I had to root for her (only 1/2 hour from my hometown). She did GREAT!

I made some silly mistakes while playing along at home, ("The Motorcycle Diaries" instead of "Evita", "Psychiatric Help 5 cents" instead of "The Doctor is in".

But I got Final Jeopardy ("What is ethereal?" and like Jen, I came up with it with only about 5 seconds to spare! BOO-YAH! I probably got it because I didn't dwell on the chemistry part of the clue, but heavenly and delicate. I wasn't sure if I was correct until it was revealed. It seems that I'm in the minority in getting this FJ, and this is a very talented group of Jeopardy! fans that includes many multi-day Jeopardy! champions!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

skullturf wrote:
Volante wrote:
So if there was a clue whose intended response was "German Shepherd", and the contestant said "dog":

-- that would get a BMS if the category was "Animals" or "Potpourri", but it would get a neg if the category was "G.S." or "Four-Syllable Terms".
I'm going to assume for the sake of argument that the clue in question is something like "Rin Tin Tin was this". :D
You might be BMSed for all four (this is an Alex goof, not a player good), but you're right: they'd only count for the first two.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)