Monday, July 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Literary Title Words
It was Giovanni Boccaccio who added this adjective to another Italian author's work.

Spoiler
Show
What is "Divine"? (The Divine Comedy, by Dante) Virginia said fiery; Jen said great.

Ben-Hur Flores: $16,200+$3,800=$20,000...now a 1-day champion with $20,000
Jen Fiero: $13,400-$4,600=$8,800
Virginia Hatfield: $4,400-$4,400=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:31 pm

Alex reads the clue..
0-27 seconds: duuuuuhhhhh...
28: OK, name an Italian author...Dante?
29: Pick a word...HURRY!!! Um...Divine!?
Think music ends

Is there a word for a correct respone that you half-heartedly/half-assedly blurt out at the 29.5 second mark? Yikes. That shouldn't have been hard.

Golf

Post by Golf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Always frustrating when the contestant with the worst wager wins. He does seem to have good knowledge.

esrever

Post by esrever » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Ben-Hur played a good game. Congrats to him for winning.

Picked up Lach trash: "Samson", "Greek", "Nellie Bly", "Grateful Dead"

I had no idea on FJ. Wrote down "old" just to have something.

Ben-Hur certainly is an unusual name, but he's obviously not the first Jeopardy! contestant to have a first name that's the same as the title of an Academy Award winning film for Best Picture. Others would probably be Rebecca, Marty, Gigi, Oliver, and Rocky.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Golf wrote:Always frustrating when the contestant with the worst wager wins. He does seem to have good knowledge.
Nice Round Number syndrome strikes again.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Was anyone else thrown by the "Mickeypedia" category in the same way that I was?

From the category title, I assumed it was going to be an entire category about Mickey Mouse. Then, when the very first clue was read, I momentarily thought "How can the answer just be 'Mickey Mouse' in an entire category about Mickey Mouse?"

Mantle, Rooney, and Rourke were obvious precalls. I also got the Grateful Dead one, but classic rock is one of my wheelhouses.

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:52 pm

How did I get that final? I don't know. Nice way to top off a day when I only went 4/12 on bottom row clues.

Anyone else hoping that the beer category was actually going to be about beer? Excuse me while I get one for myself.

"Add a Letter" was also surprisingly hard.

Won the coinflip on whether the title was "Nickeled and Dimed" or "Nickel and Dimed," hooray!

Lach trash: America the Beautiful, Nellie Bly, the Grateful Dead, and the April DD.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:59 pm

Congrats to Ben-Hur for a) today's victory and for b) having a wicked cool game.

FJ was a "I Have No Idea." My wife and I spent 10 minutes or so on our respective laptops this morning after seeing the clue in today's NYT before coming up with the correct answer. A tough, tough FJ.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 pm

This was an enjoyable game. The board was pretty good, though it was a little on the easy side with a lot of Pavlov-ish clues.

The "movie musicals" category was surprisingly easy. The $600 clue was the only one that I didn't know.

I made fairly lucky guesses on the "April" and The Tempest DDs. I had no idea on the bottom two clues in the "Shakespeare" category, though.

My first thought on FJ was "little" for The Little Prince (which would have been hilariously wrong), but I switched to the correct response with plenty of time to spare.

Wheatley

Post by Wheatley » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Great board for me today, one category of science, one wordplay, and one of both.

"Great" was my answer too, I suspect that Jen, like me, had no idea but rationalized that it was a pretty common modifier.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Golf wrote:Always frustrating when the contestant with the worst wager wins. He does seem to have good knowledge.
It turned out to be the perfect wager, he would have covered Jenn had they both gotten it right, and he would have won if they had both gotten it wrong. Not sure if it was just a random choice or he expected her to go with a medium sized wager for some reason, but it couldn't have worked out any better for him.

Golf

Post by Golf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Dudd wrote:It turned out to be the perfect wager, he would have covered Jenn had they both gotten it right, and he would have won if they had both gotten it wrong. Not sure if it was just a random choice or he expected her to go with a medium sized wager for some reason, but it couldn't have worked out any better for him.
A bad wager is a bad wager, doesn't matter how it works out.

eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Gotta love seeing a Titus Andronicus clue up there. Archive says there hasn't been one in four years!

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Got FJ right away, had time to consider Petit (le petit prince) but realized I was mixing up french and italian (machiavelli). Stuck with my original thought.

Another 1st place bet that doesnt cover bet and still wins.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:20 pm

StevenH wrote: I made fairly lucky guesses on the "April" and The Tempest DDs.
I remembered that the Boston Marathon is run on the anniversary of the Massachusetts events that were mentioned in the "April" clue. I was going at it in the tack of trying to remember what month the marathon was run, I said September (possibly conflating Massachusetts's Patriots' Day with the nationwide Patriots' Day also around the middle of its month) but head-slapped later realizing that I remember recently seeing news items talking about the first anniversary of the bombings.

I wonder if Vermonter went at it from that angle too ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:25 pm

There's also that poem about Paul Revere's midnight ride that starts "On the eighteenth of April..."

I got that one despite being Canadian, but I missed the "W2" one. I've now been paying taxes in the US for three years, but sometimes if you don't grow up saying something, it doesn't stick (especially something like the name of a form).

On FJ, I also had "The Prince" and "The Little Prince" enter my head before anything else did. Luckily, Machiavelli led me to other "old" writers, so Dante came to mind soon afterward. Maybe Virginia was thinking of the Inferno on some level with her "fiery" response. Luckily for me, "divine" came to mind.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Darn it, I knew Jen would not last out the week.
That terrible "minimum wage" guess on the $2000 clue hurt her but in the end it would not have mattered. She still would have trailed Ben-Hur at the end of DJ and she didn't get FJ correct.
It would have been much worse if she got FJ and did not win when she could have beat Ben with a higher wager. But how do you know when the leader is going to make a wagering gaff like that? You Don't. I think her wager to tie the opera singer's doubled score on a miss was sensible in that she was a weak opponant.
That would have also been upstaged by Ben-Hur's irrational wager though. He still would have won if only the middle lady got it correct. :|

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Golf wrote:
Dudd wrote:It turned out to be the perfect wager, he would have covered Jenn had they both gotten it right, and he would have won if they had both gotten it wrong. Not sure if it was just a random choice or he expected her to go with a medium sized wager for some reason, but it couldn't have worked out any better for him.
A bad wager is a bad wager, doesn't matter how it works out.
It wasn't necessarily a bad wager. It is the premise of Shore's Conjecture, that if 2nd recognizes the position they have 3rd in and bets accordingly, then 1st can bet to win on either a triple get or a triple stumper with scores like today's. Sure, he did happen to pick a round number to land on, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't a thoughtful wager. We can't know one way or the other what his logic was in this case, but just because he didn't automatically make the shutout wager doesn't mean that his bet was terrible.