Boardies on the Show - Season 28

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Boardies on the Show - Season 28

Post by lisa0012 »

debramc wrote:I will be on Wednesday, January 18, 2012. Woo-hoo!!
Wahoooo! Congrats! About time we get some good Dallas representation on the show!
andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

jpahk wrote:nick, can we get the top of this thread updated for okstater and dmleach (december 29)?
Me too, me too! December 26.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Congrats to Debra and Andrea, too! How exciting. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woo-hoo indeed! Congrats, and looking forward to it/hopefully them.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

debramc wrote:I will be on Wednesday, January 18, 2012. Woo-hoo!!
Congratulations on the promotion from "swimmer" to real live contestant!

Looking forward to seeing your games!

~ Julie
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Congrats to Debra and Andrea!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

They've put up some new Winner's Circle interviews from Season 28, although actually it's now inverted to a Loser's Circle, done in the green room.

http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/winnerscircle/
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:They've put up some new Winner's Circle interviews from Season 28, although actually it's now inverted to a Loser's Circle, done in the green room.

http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/winnerscircle/
I kind of like this idea better. For one, it saves you the "Uh, yeah, so I won again. Uhh, what else, umm ... " that we would inevitably get from a future TOCer (due to the number of Winner Circle interviews they'd give) and it also shows a part of the J! experience most people don't see (ie, the green room) - even though they've only shown a small corner, it looks nothing like what I pictured in my mind's eye (I'll probably bet there's very little green in the decor, too)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think a compromise could work. Still do the on-stage, post-game interviews, but only for new champions. The feeling of winning two games is the same as winning one, only you've had a half-hour to get used to the feeling. Interviewing departing contestants is a good way to cut out the redundancy of multiple post-game ones, but it doesn't capture the excitement immediately in the wake of one's first win, and the interviews will end up with that joy tempered by time (not to mention by losing the last game).
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

dhkendall wrote:[I kind of like this idea better. For one, it saves you the "Uh, yeah, so I won again. Uhh, what else, umm ... " that we would inevitably get from a future TOCer (due to the number of Winner Circle interviews they'd give) and it also shows a part of the J! experience most people don't see (ie, the green room) - even though they've only shown a small corner, it looks nothing like what I pictured in my mind's eye (I'll probably bet there's very little green in the decor, too)

It's actually a small room off the green room. I didn't see it until I went in for my interview. I really enjoyed the interview, it was a good transition from being onstage before I had to go out and deal with travel logistics. Jimmy from the Clue Crew conducted the interview and I remember we all laughed a lot.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

seaborgium wrote:I think a compromise could work. Still do the on-stage, post-game interviews, but only for new champions. The feeling of winning two games is the same as winning one, only you've had a half-hour to get used to the feeling. Interviewing departing contestants is a good way to cut out the redundancy of multiple post-game ones, but it doesn't capture the excitement immediately in the wake of one's first win, and the interviews will end up with that joy tempered by time (not to mention by losing the last game).
I get what you're saying, but...hmmm. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I was so rushed and disoriented between games that I appreciated not having to articulate anything complicated before taking the upstage champion podium (in fact, I was so out of it I wasn't even sure how much money I'd won until Mr. Gilbert announced it during the contestant introductions). And even after losing the second game, I was on such a high from the whole thing that I'm pretty sure the reason my post-game interview isn't up on the site is that I probably came across like a drunken aardvark in the interview. But that's just my own highly personal interpretation of the experience. I'm not really sure how I feel about it as a viewer, since so far the only new-format postgame interviews I've seen are with people I've met, so that colors my perception of what I'm seeing.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

RJL wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I think a compromise could work. Still do the on-stage, post-game interviews, but only for new champions. The feeling of winning two games is the same as winning one, only you've had a half-hour to get used to the feeling. Interviewing departing contestants is a good way to cut out the redundancy of multiple post-game ones, but it doesn't capture the excitement immediately in the wake of one's first win, and the interviews will end up with that joy tempered by time (not to mention by losing the last game).
I get what you're saying, but...hmmm. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I was so rushed and disoriented between games that I appreciated not having to articulate anything complicated before taking the upstage champion podium (in fact, I was so out of it I wasn't even sure how much money I'd won until Mr. Gilbert announced it during the contestant introductions). And even after losing the second game, I was on such a high from the whole thing that I'm pretty sure the reason my post-game interview isn't up on the site is that I probably came across like a drunken aardvark in the interview. But that's just my own highly personal interpretation of the experience.
Different for everyone, indeed, but in retrospect I might have preferred to have done an interview after it was all over, rather than having to think about something else in between games. I certainly wasn't giving Maggie my undivided attention while doing mine, with the mind running in many different directions, and they clearly got little coherent usable footage from what was a fairly time-consuming process (having watched most of them, I don't think I was alone on that, and suspect that's the reason for the change... greatness like OTriviaNewtonJon's seemed much more the exception than the rule). I might have felt differently if it wasn't the one part of the whole experience that I was completely "unprepared" for. As we taped before the season started airing, the only "followup" I'd thought might be required was a Winner's Blog. (I definitely would have preferred to do one of those)
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

Turd Ferguson wrote: Different for everyone, indeed, but in retrospect I might have preferred to have done an interview after it was all over, rather than having to think about something else in between games. I certainly wasn't giving Maggie my undivided attention while doing mine, with the mind running in many different directions, and they clearly got little coherent usable footage from what was a fairly time-consuming process (having watched most of them, I don't think I was alone on that, and suspect that's the reason for the change... greatness like OTriviaNewtonJon's seemed much more the exception than the rule). I might have felt differently if it wasn't the one part of the whole experience that I was completely "unprepared" for. As we taped before the season started airing, the only "followup" I'd thought might be required was a Winner's Blog. (I definitely would have preferred to do one of those)
Mr/Ms Ferguson, I haven't combed through the boards enough to find out your "real" identity, but I am rather floored to find out that your Winner's Circle interview was mediated by Maggie. Given that she has spent, what, over 20 years trying to make sure that the time between games is minimized, I can't imagine that she was terribly excited to be complicit in a process seemed to hinder the smooth and rapid transition from one game to the next. I do not mean this as a slam against you or against Maggie! I had a "moment" when I was there, and Maggie switched from "Get 'er done" mode to "Compassionate" mode on a dime (and I mean that sincerely, she really was very comforting and helpful and I will always be grateful for that). But when I was being bustled between games, there was a definite sense of urgency with Maggie leading the charge. Only later, when I was back home in Connecticut, did I realize that the urgency to get me into a different outfit was, perhaps, a bit misplaced. Since my apperances were split by two weeks of the ToC, I could've easily returned wearing the same outfit. If anyone even noticed over the two week ToC interruption, they would've thought it was perfectly reasonable for someone to wear the same outfit "two weeks later."

ETA: I have identified you, Mr. Ferguson! I didn't see your "Winner's Circle" video, but I'm guessing, based on your comments and appearance date, that you were in the beta test for that feature. Also, nice work on both of your FJs!
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

RJL wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote: Different for everyone, indeed, but in retrospect I might have preferred to have done an interview after it was all over, rather than having to think about something else in between games. I certainly wasn't giving Maggie my undivided attention while doing mine, with the mind running in many different directions, and they clearly got little coherent usable footage from what was a fairly time-consuming process (having watched most of them, I don't think I was alone on that, and suspect that's the reason for the change... greatness like OTriviaNewtonJon's seemed much more the exception than the rule). I might have felt differently if it wasn't the one part of the whole experience that I was completely "unprepared" for. As we taped before the season started airing, the only "followup" I'd thought might be required was a Winner's Blog. (I definitely would have preferred to do one of those)
Mr/Ms Ferguson, I haven't combed through the boards enough to find out your "real" identity, but I am rather floored to find out that your Winner's Circle interview was mediated by Maggie. Given that she has spent, what, over 20 years trying to make sure that the time between games is minimized, I can't imagine that she was terribly excited to be complicit in a process seemed to hinder the smooth and rapid transition from one game to the next. I do not mean this as a slam against you or against Maggie! I had a "moment" when I was there, and Maggie switched from "Get 'er done" mode to "Compassionate" mode on a dime (and I mean that sincerely, she really was very comforting and helpful and I will always be grateful for that). But when I was being bustled between games, there was a definite sense of urgency with Maggie leading the charge.
It's funny you'd say that... I hope I'm not "telling tales out of school", but I do remember listening to Maggie first mentioning the Winner's Circle in the Green Room, and getting the impression that she might not have been completely enthused by how it was going so far. (I don't remember the exact words, but recall her mentioning it as a new thing they were doing for the new season).

I also hope that it didn't sound like I was "complaining" about having to do the interview, or suggesting that my performance in the next game was in any way harmed by it. If anything, it might have made returning to the "familiar" place at the podium for the next game seem more comfortable. I remember actually being more nervous during the Winner's Circle than during the games (probably because I had no idea what Maggie was going to ask), and that was without knowing at the time that the studio audience was hearing what I was saying.
RJL wrote: Only later, when I was back home in Connecticut, did I realize that the urgency to get me into a different outfit was, perhaps, a bit misplaced. Since my apperances were split by two weeks of the ToC, I could've easily returned wearing the same outfit. If anyone even noticed over the two week ToC interruption, they would've thought it was perfectly reasonable for someone to wear the same outfit "two weeks later."

ETA: I have identified you, Mr. Ferguson! I didn't see your "Winner's Circle" video, but I'm guessing, based on your comments and appearance date, that you were in the beta test for that feature. Also, nice work on both of your FJs!
Thanks, Emily (I was, though, hoping for a harder FJ! in that second game!), and congrats on your win. It must have been fun to be the defending champ for two whole weeks (in the "real" world)! :)
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

Turd Ferguson wrote:It's funny you'd say that... I hope I'm not "telling tales out of school", but I do remember listening to Maggie first mentioning the Winner's Circle in the Green Room, and getting the impression that she might not have been completely enthused by how it was going so far. (I don't remember the exact words, but recall her mentioning it as a new thing they were doing for the new season).

I also hope that it didn't sound like I was "complaining" about having to do the interview, or suggesting that my performance in the next game was in any way harmed by it. If anything, it might have made returning to the "familiar" place at the podium for the next game seem more comfortable. I remember actually being more nervous during the Winner's Circle than during the games (probably because I had no idea what Maggie was going to ask), and that was without knowing at the time that the studio audience was hearing what I was saying.
Thanks, Emily (I was, though, hoping for a harder FJ! in that second game!), and congrats on your win. It must have been fun to be the defending champ for two whole weeks (in the "real" world)! :)
(I may have botched the deletions on the "quote" feature.)

I did not mean to impugn Maggie's compassion or professionalism at all. I saw some of the Winner's Circle vids before my taping, and while I thought they were a nice bonus content, I also thought, "What the what? Who has time for this between games?" I was familiar with the Winner Blogs, and I wasn't entirely sure that the Winner's Circle videos were giving optimized double-plus-good viewer content. As I have mentioned, my own experience of getting interviewed after I had completed my playing time was personally beneficial, regardless of how The Show was able to use it or not.

I was honestly astonished by your accont and my inference that TPTB "made" Maggie do something that is probably antithetical to what she's been doing so well for so long. My own experience was that they took me from being Champion!Contestant to being "Loser" Interviewee pretty seamlessly, with the new-format Winner's Circle being conducted in a specially designated room, with nary a contestant coordinator in sight (which I heartily approve of; they've got enough to deal with). I made sure to give very detailed feedback about how I felt about the post-game interview, since I knew it was a new feature and I thought they might want some contestant reaction.

In terms of being the two week defending champ: it wasn't all that great. (Extensive whining about how nobody in my homestate saw my winning game because of a near statewide blackout and how my return was completely overshadowed by Roger's gusty wagering DELETED.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That new Jeopardy Hall of Fame? It better have a statue of Maggie in it!
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Turd Ferguson wrote:As we taped before the season started airing, the only "followup" I'd thought might be required was a Winner's Blog. (I definitely would have preferred to do one of those)
Totally agree. Not having a Winner's Blog was the main reason I subjected the Sony Board to my Bulwer-Lytton-nominated color commentary of my games.

Regarding Winner's Circle, I think it wasn't so much that the flow was interrupted, it was just that they were still experimenting with it. I don't think they got as polished an ouput as they were going for. My biggest problem (aside from the um's) was that I kept responding to Maggie instead of the camera.
RJL wrote:Since my apperances were split by two weeks of the ToC, I could've easily returned wearing the same outfit. If anyone even noticed over the two week ToC interruption, they would've thought it was perfectly reasonable for someone to wear the same outfit "two weeks later."
Out of supersition, I actually did this (on either side of the College Tourney). But my jacket got flagged for camera interference the second time.
Turd Ferguson wrote:Thanks, Emily (I was, though, hoping for a harder FJ! in that second game!), and congrats on your win.
I was hoping for a harder FJ! in your first one.

And since tomorrow will be the one-year anniversary of that fateful day, let me say Happy Anniversary to Turd Ferguson. I'm debuting a new and improved avatar in your honor.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

I hope I'm not totally off base for asking this in this thread, but what about contestants who join the boards right after their show airs? There've been two of us in the last five days, and I wonder how many other people came here because they were looking to see how people reacted to their Jepisodes.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

RJL wrote:Since my apperances were split by two weeks of the ToC, I could've easily returned wearing the same outfit. If anyone even noticed over the two week ToC interruption, they would've thought it was perfectly reasonable for someone to wear the same outfit "two weeks later."
Oh, I don't know... The folks around here at least are very perceptive. Why, they even catch on when a contestant wears the same tie ten years later.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

RJL wrote:I hope I'm not totally off base for asking this in this thread, but what about contestants who join the boards right after their show airs? There've been two of us in the last five days, and I wonder how many other people came here because they were looking to see how people reacted to their Jepisodes.
What about them? We love them; we welcome them; we can't live without them. It is good of you to grace us with your presence. I think I speak for everybody when I say I hope you stick around. Your experience is something that quite a few of us are still only dreaming of, and we can all (even those who have lived the dream) learn from it, and you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.