Thursday, July 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zakharov »

Someday they'll develop DVRs smart enough to detect when a show has been bumped a half hour back, right? No Jeopardy for me yesterday.

:(
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

psgola wrote:The best category for me tonight was 4/5 on office seeker, disappointed, only missed on Walter Mondale, I thought Hubert H Humphrey.
Good. Glad I'm not the only one who got hoodwinked by Hubert.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Mathew5000 wrote:
Vermonter wrote:Did Katie have a Penultimate Wager?
When she hit the DD there was one more clue left on the board, but time sounded before it was revealed.
And Alex had givin the 'Less Than a Minute' warning several clues before the DD was uncovered. They were squandering playing time at the same rate as the previous game, and I had a gut feeling the end of the round was going to come immediately after Katie gave her response.

I'll give Katie a lot of credit for recognizing the situation and making the wager for tie, even though there was another clue left.
Not so much credit on her FJ wager though. I'm predicting she's one and done tonight.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
psgola wrote:For the Woody Allen question, I thought of another Woody Allen film "Manhattan" which also had three a's and later found out was also in the 70s
I said, "Going Bananas". Then upon hearing the correct answer, I said to myself, "Oh, "Going Bananas" must've been that stupid Donny and Marie movie." Then I looked it up and discovered that the Donny and Marie movie was called "Goin' Coconuts"!

Stupid brain.
I said "Bananas," then corrected it to "Going Bananas." But instead of Donny and Marie, I had Captain and Tennille on the brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGOabneBuBI
yes, I had that album.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Another "Going Bananas" here.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

John Boy wrote:
psgola wrote:The best category for me tonight was 4/5 on office seeker, disappointed, only missed on Walter Mondale, I thought Hubert H Humphrey.
Hubie was the first that flashed in my mind, but then I realized the years were wrong. Went with Mondale after that.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Category 13 wrote: I'll give Katie a lot of credit for recognizing the situation and making the wager for tie, even though there was another clue left.
Not so much credit on her FJ wager though. I'm predicting she's one and done tonight.
I saw nothing wrong with her FJ wager. She had to bet at least $2,001 to cover 3rd place, so adding an extra $800 to get ahead of the leader's pre-FJ score was highly unlikely to affect her chances of winning on a miss. The alternative is to bet $800 or less to stay ahead of Jerome's score if he made the MSB and missed, but that opens up the possibility of being passed by 3rd if they are both correct. This is the dilemma of Stratton's Dilemma. 2nd place has to make a choice.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A cover bet of third place drops Katie below the leader's MSBIW score, so going all in would not have been a horrible bet, but I had no problem with her cover bet as it improves her chances of coming in second and also helps if Jerome overwagers.

I thought her DD bet was bad. The scores were....

$9,200
$7,800
$4,200

They had long since given the minute warning. I went back and timed it and 49 seconds had elapsed since Alex gave the warning and the DD alarm began to play so this was probably going to be it. I would have bet $3,200 here. If I get it right, I have the lead and can't be caught if the last $1,200 clue happens to be played. If I am wrong I have a lock tie going into FJ, assuming the last clue isn't played. Considering I would hem and haw for as long as I could before spitting out a random South American country, it is highly unlikely the last clue would be seen.

Copernicus was an instaget though I did consider the other scientist that was given. I thought Alex was going to mention Katie's Polish heritage when he got to her, but he did not.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Got this episode tonight in L.A. And I thought Wednesday's was bad.

I precalled Copernicus off the category, pretty sure Galileo was too late and totally sure Newton was. (Galileo, it turns out, lived from 1564 to 1642, but did the work he's known for in the 17th century.) If it was going to be anyone besides Copernicus, I wasn't going to think of him by brainstorming; I'd have to hope the clue would get me there.

It seemed like missing the first DD took the wind out of Katie's sails a bit. Maybe becoming a champ will help her shake it off.

Between DJ and FJ, there was a shot of the contestants with Johnny announcing they'd be back, but the shot was from the end of the J! round. I briefly wondered what kind of upheaval in rulings had befallen them.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote: Reaganomics for 2000?? :roll:
I was trying to come up with a variety of Stockmanomics...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: Reaganomics for 2000?? :roll:
I was trying to come up with a variety of Stockmanomics...
Meanwhile, I was trying to turn "Laffer curve" into a portmanteau.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

John Boy wrote:
The year given was 1966, Humphrey was vice president at the time. Mondale was appointed to fill his seat after HHH was elected VP in 1964 and was running for a full term in 1966.
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

For FJ, I was torn between Galileo and "who WAS that other guy" -- so Galileo it was, oh well. I picked up lach trash on Janet Leigh and Bananas plus Death Valley on the DD. Jerome had a pretty big lead at one point, but had a couple of costly missteps making it a much closer game.
Sage on the Hudson

All beds are off!

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Pajamas: three "a"s only in the U.S.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes Y. (Valid only in the 50 United States and D.C.)

Post by dhkendall »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:Pajamas: three "a"s only in the U.S.
And Canada. (And other places that use American English spelling*)

* Canada is a mix of American and British spelling, as well as a few uniquely Canadian-spelled words.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

zakharov wrote:Someday they'll develop DVRs smart enough to detect when a show has been bumped a half hour back, right? No Jeopardy for me yesterday.
That kind of thing takes a certain amount of coordination between your local TV station putting out new listings information, the listings service and/or your TV provider to get that new listings information into the database, and your DVR downloading the new information from the database and figuring out what to do with it.

My DirecTV DVR actually did get the updated information that KABC was not airing J! on Thursday, with Thursday's episode airing Friday and Friday's episode airing Saturday. (Since I have my DVR set to record only first-run episodes, the Saturday airing normally wouldn't record.)
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

For "Literary Significant Others," I assume Jeopardy! would have to take any character that the named character dated for some time (long enough to be treated as a couple, whatever amount of time that may be). Which led me to wonder if Alex's card for "Ron Weasley" also had the acceptable answer "Lavender Brown."