Pavlovs parsed from the archived questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mystcmage
Loyal Jeopardista

Pavlovs parsed from the archived questions

Post by mystcmage »

I've seen previous threads that listed the common word associations (aka pavlovs) and it got me wondering if I could do the same by using the archived questions.
I loaded them all into a database and parsed out anything between double-quotes, any consecutive capitalized words (referred to in the files as "names"), and any consecutive keywords.
Here are the results.

Pre-Formatting:
* I grouped responses that I could reasonably expect to be the same.
"Einstein" became "Albert Einstein" and "JFK" became "John F. Kennedy", for instance.
* I changed month abbrevations in the clue to the full name (Feb. to February).

Groups:
* Quotes - anything between ""
* Names - consecutive capitalized words, optionally connected by lowercase words
(Simon & Garfunkel, The House of the Seven Gables, San Diego, Germany)
* Keywords - any consecutive words (excluding some like "the", "and", and others)
The files only contain multi-word phrases. Partly because my computer is not powerful enough to run a query on single words, and partly because they would not be as useful as the multi-word phrases.

Formatting:
* Names that match quotes are changed to the full quote
* Keywords that match names or quotes are changed to the full name or quote

Files:
* The numbers represent the minimum number of appearances in the archive
* Any phrase that matched multiple responses is removed
Daniel Defoe is associated with both "Moll Flanders" and "Robinson Crusoe", but since it cannot be narrowed down to one, I left it off.

App:
I created an Android app to quickly run through these and other flashcards. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .flashcard
It's pretty barebones at the moment, but the best feature is that I turned all the phrases into links to Wikipedia.
Whenever I encounter something new, it's only a tap away to find out about it.

I've been tweaking these lists for weeks and it has done wonders for my Coryat score at home and at the local pub quiz.
Let me know if you find these useful and any suggestions of how I can improve them.

http://mystcmage.site50.net/flashcards
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Pavlovs parsed from the archived questions

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had fun looking at the ones with double digit counts. If anyone has never heard of those then they have not been paying enough attention.
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

Thank you for sharing. Having many ways to link pieces of information together is useful, and this tool looks useful, fun, or both. I downloaded the flash cards and intend to play around with them. Good work!
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but as your current Jeopardy! champion, I just wanted to give a plug to what I found to be one of the most useful resources for my own studies, especially since it has a ridiculous three (3!) posts. mystcmage is a genius for doing this. I spent years meticulously studying the J-Archive to hone my trivia chops, but when The Call came and the clock was finally ticking, it was last-minute cramming off that link provided at the bottom that saved my tuchus on quite a few questions, both by providing helpful Pavlovs and by refreshing my memory on what was ABSOLUTELY necessary to keep in mind before going on J!.

Save the lists at the link below, memorize them, check them against the clues in the J-Archive for other useful tidbits you might want to pick up about each subject. Doing that for "19th Amendment - Susan B. Anthony" a week or two before I taped was how I came to note several past J! references to 1872, and thanks to that, I now have an extra few thousand dollars to my name.

If you have any intention of appearing on the show, my advice to you is this: Don't ignore this post. Listen. Heed. Respect. Otherwise, you pass over a pot of gold.
mystcmage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mystcmage »

I can't ask for a better review than someone who has actually used it to win on Jeopardy!

I didn't know anyone was using the flashcards outside of the app, so I have not updated them in a long while.
With my next update of the app, I'll be sure to update the text files too.

When I tried Anki, it had me repeat the first 12 cards over-and-over until I got them right.
I'm sure it's more customizable than I could figure out, but it's the customizability that led me to write my own app.
Some of my most used modes are removing cards I've already seen in the last week or 2, or removing those I've already answered with 70% accuracy.
I could not find a similar function in Anki.

With 500K questions currently in my database, the cards have greatly increased in size (and accuracy).
If anyone has other sources that would make good additions to the database, I'm always on the lookout.
This is a short list of sources I'm already including:
Trivia Shows (Millionaire, The Chase, 500 Questions, Ask Me Another, Good Job Brain!)
Billboard charts
Movies (plots, roles, wiki)
TV (plots, roles, wiki)
Bestselling books by year
People that already appear in the J! questions (Short biographies and wiki)
Trivia Apps (Trivia Crack, QuizUp)

In addition to this, I'm always looking for more thesauruses.
I have no idea how many Pavlovs are lurking in the questions just because they've asked the same thing in a different way, but I suspect it's a lot.
mmannp
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by mmannp »

Hi,

I know this hasn't been updated in a while but I wanted to know if you've ever thought about making a similar app for the iTunes store?

No one in my family has an android phone so I can't access the flashcards that way.

I will look on your website but I was hoping that maybe you've ported your app over to Apple.
MrMushnik
Wheel of Jeopardy!

Post by MrMushnik »

^ Same question. Or a web version? I'm starting to "train" for J! as my knowledge is there, but not quite there enough to pass the test. Thanks in advance!
mystcmage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mystcmage »

I don't have any experience building iOS apps, so I have no plans to do so.
I see Anki has an iOS app, so there's probably a way to download the flashcards from my site and put them in whatever format Anki accepts.

I updated all the flashcards on the site just now, so you'll see that they're significantly larger.

I estimate that I can find matches in my flashcards to about 1/3 of the questions any given night.
For tests, that number is probably about 1/2, so this should get you over the hump.
When I started the project, I would get barely 35/50, now I average about 45.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

mystcmage wrote:I don't have any experience building iOS apps, so I have no plans to do so.
I see Anki has an iOS app, so there's probably a way to download the flashcards from my site and put them in whatever format Anki accepts.

I updated all the flashcards on the site just now, so you'll see that they're significantly larger.

I estimate that I can find matches in my flashcards to about 1/3 of the questions any given night.
For tests, that number is probably about 1/2, so this should get you over the hump.
When I started the project, I would get barely 35/50, now I average about 45.
From those of us who understand the value of what you're doing here, I cannot thank you enough for the incredible resource you are providing to the trivia community.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I've been using this APP in my jeopardy studies and it has helped immensely. Thanks.
MrMushnik
Wheel of Jeopardy!

Post by MrMushnik »

Yes, this is amazing. Thank you!! I almost asked if you had an excel spreadsheet so I could import these into quizlet, but apparently you don't need one. I downloaded the zip file. Please let me know if this is not okay to be public. I'm not trying to compete with your app or anything, I just don't have access to an android device. (This isn't even close to all of it, you can only have 2000 terms per "study set." Just playing around at this point. You can mark terms you want to save for studying on this site).

https://quizlet.com/135409469/formatted ... ash-cards/

Also, I may be data illiterate, but is "formatted pavlov" the same content as everything in combined pavlov, combined all pavlov, formatted name pavlov, combined formatted name pavlov, combined all name pavlov, etc... Just trying to figure out which would be most valuable to make web-based flashed cards out of. I should be asleep but also awake now for work :shock: And am I missing something with jus 3, 4, 5, 7, and 10 listed? Thank you again!!
Archimedean
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Archimedean »

The Android app has been super helpful, thank you! The link to the zip file on mystcmage.site50.net has gone down, though. Any chance of restoring access to the file? Thanks very much again!

Paul
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Does anyone have access to the original zip file for these Pavlovs? I'd be curious to learn more about the frequency of various terms. Thanks!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Peachbox wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:54 pm Does anyone have access to the original zip file for these Pavlovs? I'd be curious to learn more about the frequency of various terms. Thanks!
I think OP's signature has a working URL? Is that what you're looking for?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:56 pm
Peachbox wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:54 pm Does anyone have access to the original zip file for these Pavlovs? I'd be curious to learn more about the frequency of various terms. Thanks!
!!!

I was hoping someone would post them. Thanks for the update. :)
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:56 pm
Whoops! It sure does, the "Web flashcards" link. I had tried only the site50.net one. Thank you! :)
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

Ok, tech question with a simple answer, but I rarely use any apps. I downloaded the zip file and the trivia flashcards app, but can't figure out how to import the files into the app. I extracted them all. Now what? They're just sitting in my phone's files. If someone who can help needs more info (phone type, etc.), message me. Thanks!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

ouachiouat wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 am Ok, tech question with a simple answer, but I rarely use any apps. I downloaded the zip file and the trivia flashcards app, but can't figure out how to import the files into the app. I extracted them all. Now what? They're just sitting in my phone's files. If someone who can help needs more info (phone type, etc.), message me. Thanks!
On the version of the app I have, the flashcards are already loaded. The 2 lines above the buttons on the home screen with the flag/tabs at the end of them are drop-down menus.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Archive.org has the lot, save for the zip file, which since the links all work, you don't need:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170330223 ... lashcards/