Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Post Reply
User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Lumosityfan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Welcome to the 25th Annual Putnam County Geography Bee! A spectacular where you can watch contestants score big on such questions as the capital of the country next door! Prizes include a trip to see Alex Trebek, $1,000, and eternal glory!

(If only that happened!)

Welcome to the actual Think Different 201! I'm your host, Lumosityfan, and I will be introducing some pretty juicy questions for you today! (I posted these things early because I didn't feel like waiting until Monday to post this) I love that the National Geography Bee had its 25th installment this year, and so all the topics will follow the anagram GEOGRAPHYBEE. Neat, huh?

Anyway, here are the rules (copiously borrowed from TDs of days past):

1. All answers MUST be sent to me by PM (NO POSTING IN THE THREAD) by Monday, July 28th, 2014 7:00 PM EDT.
2. The goal of the game is to have the lowest combined total.
3. Scoring goes as follows:
a. For each correct answer, you will receive an amount of points equal to the number of people who answered that correct answer.
b. For each incorrect answer, you will receive an amount of points equal to two times the sheep, or most responded correct answer.
4. Throughout the game, you may use 3 bonuses however you please.
a. DROP - 0 points earned for that question.
b. SHEEP - the sheep amount.
c. PRESS YOUR LUCK. This is a new bonus I am trying out. For scoring, what will happen is that you will still receive your normal amount for correct or incorrect. However, you will have the amount of points you are off from the sheep deducted from your final total. (You can only use this bonus if you plan to answer this question.) But, beware - if you give the sheep answer, you will receive the penalty for a normal incorrect answer. If you happen to get the question wrong, you will receive twice the incorrect answer bonus.
5. As always, NO CHEATING! However, if you happen to stumble upon an answer between the questions and the answers, you of course (in normal TD fashion) can use said answer.
5. Tiebreakers go as follows: Most correct answers, whether used drop or sheep, and submission order.
Enjoy!
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Lumosityfan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Alright, here we go!

1. G: Gross. Name a country to have a top 15 Gross Domestic Product.
2. E: Excitement. Name a Jeopardy! contestant with one of the top 15 regular show winnings.
3. O: Organization. Name one of the 15 earliest European Union countries.
4. G: Ginormity: Name a country in either the top 15 of area or population.
5. R: Repentance: Name an apostle of the Bible or one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
6. A: Attrition: Name a city formerly in the Top 15 according to the incorporated limits (i.e. city limits) that is no longer in the Top 15 according to historical Censuses and the 2010 Census.
7. P: Profit. Name a US company with the one of the highest 15 US profits of 2013.
8. Highness: Name one of the previous 15 vice-presidents.
9. Yield: Name one of the 15 tallest buildings in the world by distance to roof.
10. Baseball: Name one of the past 15 World Series winners adjusting for repetition of winners.
11. Extension: Name one of the closest 15 stars.
12. Elysium: Name one of the top 15 movies according to domestic grosses (not adjusted for inflation) (according to BoxOfficeMojo.com).

Here are some bonuses (these are separate from the actual questions and do not require correct answers to any of the main questions) (1 point off each):
Bonus 1: Name one of the top 15 movies in question 12 that also is in the list of the top 15 movies according to international grosses (not adjusted for inflation, of course)(according to BoxOfficeMOjo.com).
Bonus 2: Name a country in Europe which has yet to join the European Union as of July 21, 2014.
Bonus 3: How many Jeopardy! superchampions have we had?
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Lumosityfan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:46 pm

2. This is for regular show winnings throughout the run, not single-day.
6. Even though this has been said already, I want cities with a top 15 population within the city limits. Also, you can use any historical Census.
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Lumosityfan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:51 pm

Contestants (If you see your name here, that means I received your entry) (51):

gamawire
CheezeWhiz
A drop of golden sun
ElendilPickle
geolawyerman
Cat Hat
psgola
Rackme32
esrever
immaf
Christy
Peachbox
Vanya
nightreign
Noon
Alyssa
dott888
dhkendall
hscer
dude33
JoshuaRQI
waterloo_guy
Vermonter
mennoknight
BobF
Binky
TheyCallMeMrKid
dnbguy
whatisbishkek
Peggles
Joy
DCrawshawJr
MarkBarrett
mitchparov
econgator
jepkid97
CrunchyTaco
Lilac
Bamaman
Kayanne
sillymonkey
d4z
hbomb1947
tjconn728
clprez
Turd Ferguson
barandall800
Caboom
countyguy
skullturf
Tigershark
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9194
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Bamaman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 pm

Just to clarify the Press Your Luck bonus......

If the sheep is 10....

And my score is 5, my score would then be reduced to zero?

And I give the sheep, my score would be 20?

And I get it wrong, my score would be 40?

Amazed you can run this game while you are out in LA in the Teen Tournament. ;)

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Lumosityfan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Bamaman wrote:Just to clarify the Press Your Luck bonus......

If the sheep is 10....

And my score is 5, my score would then be reduced to zero?

And I give the sheep, my score would be 20?

And I get it wrong, my score would be 40?

Amazed you can run this game while you are out in LA in the Teen Tournament. ;)
Correct!

Also, you do know that we taped 4 months ago, right?
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

User avatar
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1208
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by ihavejeoprosy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:31 pm

Lumosityfan wrote:
Correct!

Also, you do know that we taped 4 months ago, right?
Image
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K

User avatar
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by immaf » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:15 am

More clarification:

If the sheep score is 10, but I give and answers that scores 9, my actual score will be 9-1=8? But if I give the sheep answer, I get 20?

It's your game, of course, but that seems like a steep penalty for sheeping.
Teems with quiet fun.

User avatar
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Coastal Ohio

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by jepkid97 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:37 am

Lumosityfan wrote: 4. Throughout the game, you may use 3 bonuses however you please.
a. DROP - 0 points earned for that question.
b. SHEEP - the sheep amount.
c. PRESS YOUR LUCK. This is a new bonus I am trying out. For scoring, what will happen is that you will still receive your normal amount for correct or incorrect. However, you will have the amount of points you are off from the sheep deducted from your final total. (You can only use this bonus if you plan to answer this question.) But, beware - if you give the sheep answer, you will receive the penalty for a normal incorrect answer. If you happen to get the question wrong, you will receive twice the incorrect answer bonus.
I assume the drop is limited to one use, but are the other bonuses?

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Lumosityfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:09 am

jepkid97 wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote: 4. Throughout the game, you may use 3 bonuses however you please.
a. DROP - 0 points earned for that question.
b. SHEEP - the sheep amount.
c. PRESS YOUR LUCK. This is a new bonus I am trying out. For scoring, what will happen is that you will still receive your normal amount for correct or incorrect. However, you will have the amount of points you are off from the sheep deducted from your final total. (You can only use this bonus if you plan to answer this question.) But, beware - if you give the sheep answer, you will receive the penalty for a normal incorrect answer. If you happen to get the question wrong, you will receive twice the incorrect answer bonus.
I assume the drop is limited to one use, but are the other bonuses?
The other bonuses are limited to one use, yes.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Lumosityfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:11 am

immaf wrote:More clarification:

If the sheep score is 10, but I give and answers that scores 9, my actual score will be 9-1=8? But if I give the sheep answer, I get 20?

It's your game, of course, but that seems like a steep penalty for sheeping.
Correct!

The idea was that you could get rewarded for having singletons for that question. Also, I thought it would be neat (since people worry so much about getting the sheep) to see if they can avoid the sheep. Besides, remember that you can always not use the bonuses.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2114
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by BobF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:21 am

For #6 worldwide or US?

As to your "Press your luck" I think what one of the people failed to realize is that it is a bit of a gamble that you would only use if you are pretty sure you're not going to sheep one of the questions.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Lumosityfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:23 am

BobF wrote:For #6 worldwide or US?

As to your "Press your luck" I think what one of the people failed to realize is that it is a bit of a gamble that you would only use if you are pretty sure you're not going to sheep one of the questions.
#6: US.
Also, to clarify, the idea was I thought it would be fun if people could guess if their answer was going to be a singleton or a low-valued clue and thus would reap the benefits.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

CheezeWhiz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by CheezeWhiz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:13 am

For question 7, is this global companies? Worldwide profits, or profits within the US?
-CheezeWhiz - The Wizard of Cheeze

User avatar
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Coastal Ohio

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by jepkid97 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:32 am

Lumosityfan wrote:Alright, here we go!
6. A: Attrition: Name a city formerly in the Top 15 according to the metropolitan area that is no longer in the Top 15 according to historical Censuses and the 2010 Census.
Are these metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs), combined statistical areas (CSAs), or something else?

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2313
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:58 am

Lumosityfan wrote:Alright, here we go!

1. G: Gross. Name a country to have a top 15 Gross Domestic Product.
2. E: Excitement. Name a Jeopardy! contestant with one of the top 15 regular show winnings.
3. O: Organization. Name one of the 15 earliest European Union countries.
4. G: Ginormity: Name a country in either the top 15 of area or population.
5. R: Repentance: Name an apostle of the Bible or one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
6. A: Attrition: Name a city formerly in the Top 15 according to the metropolitan area that is no longer in the Top 15 according to historical Censuses and the 2010 Census.
7. P: Profit. Name a company that's part of the list of companies with the top 15 profits of 2013.
8. Highness: Name one of the previous 15 vice-presidents.
9. Yield: Name one of the 15 tallest building by distance to roof.
10. Baseball: Name one of the past 15 World Series winners adjusting for repetition of winners.
11. Extension: Name one of the closest 15 stars.
12. Elysium: Name one of the top 15 movies according to domestic grosses (not adjusted for inflation) (according to BoxOfficeMojo.com).

Here are some bonuses (these are separate from the actual questions and do not require correct answers to any of the main questions) (1 point off each):
Bonus 1: Name one of the top 15 movies in question 12 that also is in the list of the top 15 movies according to international grosses (not adjusted for inflation, of course)(according to BoxOfficeMOjo.com).
Bonus 2: Name a country in Europe which has yet to join the European Union as of July 21, 2014.
Bonus 3: How many Jeopardy! superchampions have we had?
For no. 9, would this include, for a particular building, a spire that is commonly included in the height of the building?

For no. 10, by "adjusting for repetition of winners," do you mean one of the last 15 DIFFERENT teams to have won a World Series (so that there are 15 possible answers rather than 9)?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm
Location: Hamden, CT

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by tjconn728 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:26 am

Lumosityfan wrote:Bonus 3: How many Jeopardy! superchampions have we had?
This is probably a silly question considering where I am asking, but how many victories does it take to become a "superchamp?" Perhaps knowing that is part of the question, but I wasn't sure if this is a standard definition or your definition.

User avatar
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by gamawire » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 am

For #9, is this U.S. or worldwide?
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Lumosityfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:40 pm

tjconn728 wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:Bonus 3: How many Jeopardy! superchampions have we had?
This is probably a silly question considering where I am asking, but how many victories does it take to become a "superchamp?" Perhaps knowing that is part of the question, but I wasn't sure if this is a standard definition or your definition.
6 or more wins.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Think Different 201: In Honor of the Geography Bee

Post by Lumosityfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
For no. 9, would this include, for a particular building, a spire that is commonly included in the height of the building?

For no. 10, by "adjusting for repetition of winners," do you mean one of the last 15 DIFFERENT teams to have won a World Series (so that there are 15 possible answers rather than 9)?
For No. 9, I'd like to just keep it from bottom to roof to avoid any discrepancies.
For no. 10, the last 15 different teams are the goal.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

Post Reply