Thursday, July 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6889, 2014-07-24

2014 Teen Tournament quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Ananya Nrusimha, a sophomore from East Amherst, New York
Alan Koolik, a junior from Boca Raton, Florida
Kevin Huang, a senior from Irvine, California

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. So far this week, we have discovered two things --our contestants in the teen tournament are extremely bright and, secondly, they have marvelous senses of humor, don't they? I hope that's true of Kevin, Alan, and Ananya. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And this round, as you know, contains one daily double in one of these categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE PRESIDENCY (5/5)
THE SOUND OF WORDS (5/5)
PRO SPORTS TEAMS (4/5)
FICTIONAL CHARACTERS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
INDOORS (5/5)
OUTDOORS (4/5) (Alex: And we might as well go [*] as well.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 14 R (including 6 rebounds), 0 W
Ananya: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Kevin: 3 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ananya found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Kevin had $200, Alan had $1,800, and Ananya was at $2,600. Ananya wagered $1,000.

FICTIONAL CHARACTERS $1000: As this book begins, Santiago had "gone eighty-four days...without taking a fish"
(Ananya: What is Don Quixote?)
(Alex: No. What is [*] by Ernest Hemingway.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alan: $3,800
Ananya: $2,000
Kevin: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ananya Nrusimha is a sophomore from East Amherst, New York, who had a lot of fun on April fools' day. What did you do that sort of got you into trouble, didn't it?

Ananya: Our school newspaper has an April fools' issue every year, so I wrote an article about how the Comic-Con would be moved to Buffalo as an April fools' joke. And some people who were actually gonna go to Comic-Con saw that on the internet, thought it was legitimate, and called the people at Comic-Con about it. And they ended up calling my newspaper adviser and asked them to put an "April fools'" label on my article.

Alex: Isn't it amazing how one little thing like that can turn around and get you some embarrassing moments, right?

Ananya: Yeah.

Alex: But everything worked out?

Ananya: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Alan Koolik is a junior from Florida who spent time at an army base in Israel. You are much too young to spend time at the army base. What were you doing?

Alan: Well, over the summer, as part of a program in Israel, we spent a week at an army base, kind of living almost as soldiers would, which entailed, I guess, sleeping in barracks and in tents and hiking and even shooting M16s.

Alex: How good are you at it?

Alan: 0 for 10. [ laughter ]

Alex: You're what we want in our army, yes. Hoo-hoo.

Alex: Okay, Kevin Huang is a senior from Irvine, California, and he's interning with a professor at where?

Kevin: The University of California, Irvine. So, I work with a mathematics professor
on mathematical modeling of cancerous tumors.

Alex: I don't even have any idea as to what that means. Mathematical modeling
for tumors?

Kevin: Right.

Alex: So you're working with computers all the time...

Kevin: Yes.

Alex: ...and coming up with these images so that you can detect or treat tumors?

Kevin: We come up with models so that we can develop better treatments for cancer.

Alex: Thank you very much for clearing that up.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OUTDOORS $1000: It's an outdoor structure used for a newsstand or Redbox rentals

PRO SPORTS TEAMS $1000: The natl. hot dog & sausage council says this team's Miller park is MLB's only park to sell more sausages than hot dogs

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alan: $7,200
Ananya: $3,800
Kevin: -$1,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COOL BUILDINGS (5/5)
THE VOICE (4/5)
THE MIDDLE AGES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER.... (5/5)
THE GENIUS BAR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
USE YOUR "HEAD" (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ananya: 12 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Alan: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Kevin: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ananya snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Kevin was in the hole with -$1,400, Alan had $7,600, and Ananya was at $6,200. Ananya wagered $1,500.

THE MIDDLE AGES $1200: The high period of this architectural style of rib vaults & pointed arches began around 1200

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ananya who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 9th clue. Kevin was in the hole with -$1,400, Alan had $8,800, and Ananya was at $8,900. Ananya wagered $600.

THE GENIUS BAR $1600: She is still the only woman to win Nobel prizes in two different fields, which she did back in 1903 & 1911

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MIDDLE AGES $2000: This saintly Italian, the leading theologian of the Middle Ages, did all of his theologizing in the 1200s

THE VOICE $800: On this show, baby, John DiMaggio voiced Bender as well as Barbados Slim & noticeably F.A.T.

USE YOUR "HEAD" $400: It's a nickname for a fan or performer of heavy metal music
(Alan: What is a metalhead?)
(Ananya: What is a skinhead?)

USE YOUR "HEAD" $1600: A skiiled carpenter usually does this 6-word phrase for getting something exactly right
(Alex: This is a little more complicated. He [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alan: $17,600
Ananya: $15,500
Kevin: $3,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVEL WORDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Alan: Wager $13,401 to cover Ananya. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $6,601.
Ananya: Your score is within 4/5ths of Alan's, so wager between $4,201 (venusian) and $8,699 (martian), beating Alan's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Kevin's part.
Kevin: You just can't cover a rational wager by Ananya, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word for a person without certain abilities has made it from the realm of fantasy to the OED

FINAL SCORES
Kevin: $3,400 + $3,400 = $6,800 (What is a muggle?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Ananya: $15,500 - $8,699 = $6,801 (What is powerless?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Alan: $17,600 + $13,401 = $31,001 (What is a muggle?) (Automatic semifinalist)
[Alex reads the "OED" as Oxford English Dictionary.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alan: $17,600, 23 R, 1 W
Ananya: $17,200, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Kevin: $3,400, 8 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $38,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Alan: 24/58 = .414
Ananya: 22/61 = .361
Kevin: 9/58 = .155
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE PRESIDENCY $400: It's the number & street address for the White House
(Kevin: What is 45 Pennsylvania Avenue?)

INDOORS $600: Their original purpose was to hold skim & 2%, but these plastic stackable bins are great for storage
(Ananya: What are Tupperware containers?)

INDOORS $800: In a real estate listing, it's what "3BD, 3BA" means
(Kevin: What is apartment number?)

THE SOUND OF WORDS $400: Spelled one way, it's the sound of a bell; spelled another, it's how you can prep carrots or apples
(Ananya: What is chop?)

THE SOUND OF WORDS $600: 4-letter term for gossip or the predominant sound in an apiary
(Kevin: What is chirp?)
(Alex: [*], yes. Bees.)

THE SOUND OF WORDS $1000: This mournful cry is a homophone of an enormous mammal
(Kevin: What is low?)

PRO SPORTS TEAMS $400: They're the southeastern NFL team whose logo is seen here

PRO SPORTS TEAMS $600: Of pro teams with "Boston" in their names, it's won more championships than all the others
(Ananya: Who are the Red Sox?)
(Alex: The Boston [*]. Yes, indeed. Basketball champions.)

BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER.... $800: The George Washington bridge, from Fort Lee to Manhattan
(Ananya: What is the Brook...?)

COOL BUILDINGS $400: Ask mom if you can buy two of each stuffed animal
at the Colorado store called "Estes" this

COOL BUILDINGS $800: The big chicken in Marietta, Georgia houses this restaurant whose sign contains a different state

COOL BUILDINGS $1200: A McDonald's in Dallas, Texas is shaped like one of these meals you've probably enjoyed

COOL BUILDINGS $1600: A Presbyterian church in Stamford, Connecticut is often compared to this creature -- an early Christian symbol

USE YOUR "HEAD" $2000: In a classic American tale, he chases Ichabod Crane
(Kevin: Who is the Legend of Sleepy Hollow?)
(Alex: [*], yes. The correct response had to contain the word "head".)

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Old Man and the Sea
kiosk
Milwaukee Brewers
Gothic
Marie Curie
Thomas Aquinas
Futurama
headbanger
hits the nail on the head
a muggle
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
milk crates
three bedrooms, three bathrooms
peal (peel)
buzz
wail
Jacksonville Jaguars
Celtics
the Hudson
Ark
Kentucky Fried Chicken
Happy Meal
fish
the Headless Horseman

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Novel Words
This word for a person without certain abilities has made it from the realm of fantasy to the OED.

SpoilerShow
What is muggle? Ananya said powerless

Alan Koolik: $17,600+$13,401=$31,001...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Ananya Nrusimha: $15,500-$8,699=$6,801
Kevin Huang: $3,400+$3,400=$6,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Another good game. Too bad Kevin kept making so many bad guesses, i thought he was going to make a go of it.

I try to go easy on kids/teens, so I didn't grumble too much when Ananya kept betting such small amounts on those DDs, but I gotta admit, I nearly fell over laughing when she said skinhead :D

Instaget FJ.

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:30 pm

That was one hell of a burn by Trebek on Nikita when her FJ answer was revealed...

Is there a blanket rule that anything in the clue itself won't be in the response? If not, why wasn't metalhead acceptable? Did I miss something?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

esrever

Post by esrever » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Congrats to Alan on his excellent game.

Picked up Lach trash: kiosk, Milwaukee Brewers, Thomas Aquinas, Futurama.

Didn't get FJ. I've never read/seen any of the Harry Potter books/movies.

Leander

Post by Leander » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:35 pm

No clue on FJ. Fantasy led me to think along The Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones lines and I couldn't come up with anything. Harry Potter never came to mind.

I believe "Kentucky Fried Chicken" is technically incorrect since I think the chain changed its name to KFC some years ago to broaden its appeal and downplay "fried".

I didn't understand the neg on metalhead either.
Last edited by Leander on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golf

Post by Golf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Since Ananya apparently decided her pre FJ total wasn't enough, in my opinion she made a damn good bet. Chances are 99%+ with a right answer she advances, no noticeable difference between that total and all in. And then left herself a small out if she misses by locking out third. An exception to the usual all or nothing decision.

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 pm

No idea on FJ. "Blind"? No. "Deaf"? No. What other abilities could someone be lacking? Magical abilities, for one.

Pedantic note: because DC is divided into quadrants by the Capitol, the White House address is technically 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW. There are plans in the works to build apartment buildings at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue SE.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:58 pm

I think metal was in the clue and head was required to be in the response, so metalhead would only be acceptable in a Stupid Answers context.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 pm

45 out of 60.

Presidents: 5/5 Sounds: 1/5 Teams: 5/5 Characters: 4/5 Indoors: 3/5 Outdoors: 3/5
Cool: 4/5 Voice: 4/5 Ages: 4/5 River: 4/5 Genius: 5/5 "Head": 3/5

Lach trash: "Milwaukee Brewers", "Futurama", "hitting the nail on the head" (Daily Double- The Old Man and the Sea)

Despite owning and reading all 7 Harry Potter books, I had no idea until Dad suggested "Muggle". I agreed with him, but on my own, I get this wrong. A "Duh!" moment for me.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Lach trash: headbanger. I thought they'd give him metalhead, especially since I have heard people use that term.
Instaget FJ.
I didn't understand why Alan went big-in his position I would have stood pat or perhaps bet to $20K, but it worked out. He's a great player.

Glad to see you made the semis, Jeff! Kat, too-I liked her.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 pm

For a teen game, there were quite a few clues down my generation's alley. Appreciated the headbanger one.

Lach Trash: kiosk, Brewers, Futurama, headbanger & hit the nail on the head.
Got all the DDs.

As for FJ, well I just never really got into Harry Potter.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 pm

This was another very enjoyable game. The Teen Tournament has delivered!

The "Landmarks" category in the DJ round hit close to home for me. I couldn't believe it when I saw the KFC clue that had the picture of the Big Chicken. I live not far from it, and it is a landmark around here, but I would have never guessed that it would be shown on the show. What's even funnier is that one of my coworkers was talking about the Big Chicken today, and how it is one of the few landmarks around here that hasn't been torn down. Also, in that same category I had to chuckle when the clue that had a picture from Stamford, Connecticut came up; my dad was born in Stamford, and my grandparents still live one town over from it.

I was also baffled by the neg on "metal head." The clue did have "metal" in it, but that still shouldn't have made the response unacceptable.

I had no idea on FJ. I figured that it was from Harry Potter, though.

Ananya's FJ wager was kind of ironic. In my opinion she overwagered, given that the wild card spots were available, but in a regular game it would have been the type of savvy wager that we don't see enough of.

Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Does anyone know if the contestants in the later games get to watch the previous games? Or for that matter, if the games are shown in the order they taped? Seems like it would potentially be a huge advantage to know what the wild card cutoff line is likely to be. Both players today bet big, but if they had known the previous scores, they probably should have bet way, way smaller.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:08 pm

I managed to get this FJ after drawing a blank for about 15 to 20 seconds. I was stuck on Tolkien for a very long time.

I also initially thought they might want a word for somebody who's blind, or can't walk, or something along those lines.

I understand if they thought putting the word "magic" in the clue would make it too easy, but maybe the clue would have been more honest if it had said something like "without certain extraordinary abilities" or "without certain unusual abilities" rather than just "without certain abilities".

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 pm

Leander wrote:I believe "Kentucky Fried Chicken" is technically incorrect since I think the chain changed its name to KFC some years ago to broaden its appeal and downplay "fried".
But I'm sure it also had that chicken motif back when it was called Kentucky Fried Chicken.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Dudd wrote:Does anyone know if the contestants in the later games get to watch the previous games? Or for that matter, if the games are shown in the order they taped? Seems like it would potentially be a huge advantage to know what the wild card cutoff line is likely to be. Both players today bet big, but if they had known the previous scores, they probably should have bet way, way smaller.
The tourney games are shown in the order they're taped. The players in tourney don't get to watch the quarter final games before the one they play in, so as not to have the advantage of knowing what scores to beat to get a wild card spot.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm

This was an instaget FJ. After I thought of the right answer, I briefly considered mundane, but figured it was an older word and that Muggle was geared to a teen tournament.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:33 pm

ElendilPickle wrote:This was an instaget FJ. After I thought of the right answer, I briefly considered mundane, but figured it was an older word and that Muggle was geared to a teen tournament.
A "mumdane" is a non-Shadowhunter in the Mortal Instruments series. However, muggle is a more famous word and my friends and I have incorporated it into daily use.