Friday, July 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: The core problem with Alex's pronunciation

Post by Volante »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:Sorry, Alex, but the "p” in a name like the fictional "Omnicorp," or the sadly all-too-real Newscorp, is not silent.

The "ps" in corps, such as United States Marine Corps, are silent.

The former is an abbreviation, the latter a word, and each has nothing to do with the other.
:roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, July 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm surprised at how patchy the boards have been for me. 0/5 in Planets, Olympis, and Movies.

For some reason, my brain completely glitches out on the planets. My mouth said "Mercury" at $200 and things just went south from there.

NHOI in movies: Pompeii, Walter Mitty, Vampire Academy.

NHOI on rest of board: forthright, instep.

I thought the bottom two State Capitals were completely opaque. Anyone wanna tell me how those were supposed to be deciphered?

Colleges have unions?!?

Instaget yet again.Had I come across the word "protestantism" any time in my life, then this would've been only my second or third ever 5/5.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Colleges have unions?!?
Student unions.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

davey wrote:I'm waiting for the post that says, I've never used Facebook so I had no chance with this FJ!
That person would be smarter than all of the rest of us.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
bmdubya
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by bmdubya »

what was the answer/question about southpark ?
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Before this tournament started, I wasn't sure if I'd watch it. This season has been disappointing on many nights but these kids redeemed it a bit. Nicely done for the whole week. My cousin's sons go to Regis as did a former colleague's but I never realized it was free.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I thought the bottom two State Capitals were completely opaque. Anyone wanna tell me how those were supposed to be deciphered?
For me, Salt Lake City was because Temple Street suggested the capital might be associated with a religion, and Salt Lake City is known for the Mormon Temple. Baton Rouge was because of the combination of the Mississippi River and a region known for sugar production leading to Louisiana (the Sugar Bowl college football game being in New Orleans helped).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:
Student unions.
I was a little surprised they let the response of "student union" stand. A labor union was the second example and it's not a student union, but I guess I'm not sure exactly how the clue was phrased.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Tremendous work by all 3 contestants tonight. Sydney was obviously just a hair off on the buzzer to start the game, and I was glad to see that she figured it out and racked up the points. Great to see all 3 advance.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: The core problem with Alex's pronunciation

Post by trainman »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:...the sadly all-too-real Newscorp...
That's "News Corp," two words. (Source: their website.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I was a little surprised they let the response of "student union" stand. A labor union was the second example and it's not a student union, but I guess I'm not sure exactly how the clue was phrased.
If I recall correctly, they named an actual union. So, like you, I'm surprised they let "student union" go.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I was a little surprised they let the response of "student union" stand. A labor union was the second example and it's not a student union, but I guess I'm not sure exactly how the clue was phrased.
If I recall correctly, they named an actual union. So, like you, I'm surprised they let "student union" go.
A Campus Tour $1600: It's another name for a student activities center, or for the American Federation of Teachers
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:A Campus Tour $1600: It's another name for a student activities center, or for the American Federation of Teachers
Thanks, Mark. Clearly not a "student union".
NocturnalBeaver516
Contributor

Post by NocturnalBeaver516 »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:A Campus Tour $1600: It's another name for a student activities center, or for the American Federation of Teachers
Well the first half of the clue refers to a campus's "Student Union" so I said student union. They typically accept overly specific answers, especially if the questionable part was supplied by the clue.
Joseph Taglic
Jeopardy! Teen Tournament 2014 Semifinalist
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Student unions.
I was a little surprised they let the response of "student union" stand. A labor union was the second example and it's not a student union, but I guess I'm not sure exactly how the clue was phrased.
Same here -- I think they cut him some slack on that one.
countyguy wrote: This easy FJ! was somewhat unfair to several earlier contestants, but, it is just part of the game. Some wildcard contenders will get easier FJ!s than others.
I agree. I do feel bad for the earlier contestants who had tougher Finals. Facebook and Zuckerberg are just so ubiquitous. I never saw the movie but I had heard about its Harvard Freshman class roots.
I was rooting for Sydney after her slow start, but all three played very well and I was glad to see them all get in.
Last edited by JeopRDFan on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

NocturnalBeaver516 wrote:
econgator wrote:
Well the first half of the clue refers to a campus's "Student Union" so I said student union. They typically accept overly specific answers, especially if the questionable part was supplied by the clue.
First and foremost, congrats on an excellent game and good luck going forward!

Second, they usually will ding you for too much information, but it's not like I'm going to get all bent out of shape for Alex accepting it. :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

NocturnalBeaver516 wrote:
econgator wrote:
Nice game, Joe! I thought you were out of it about midway through Double Jeopardy, but you came storming back.

But I still would have negged you on the "student union" response. :)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

davey wrote:I'm waiting for the post that says, I've never used Facebook so I had no chance with this FJ!
I've only had an active Facebook account for 10 minutes or so (and only for a giveaway that required "like"ing something), and I missed this one (I focused on "freshman" instead of "register" and got no idea; I ended up guessing reddit to say something). But even though I never got close, I'm not going to say I had no chance.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

nightreign wrote:Got the missed DD-Salt Lake City. Being LDS (and having lived 45 minutes away from there for 10 years) sure helped with that.
I was in the same boat mostly...haven't lived in Utah much, but the rest is true for me too. (I admittedly shouted hopefully at Sam, "Think of the Mormons!" :))

Good scores by all 3 players. Welcome, Joe, and congrats on making it to the semis!

The instaget of instagets on FJ. Being a fan of The Social Network and a fairly frequent FB user made it an absolute cinch. I'm delighted to report this makes my first perfecto week ever, at least that I can remember since I started keeping track. It may be the Teen Tournament, but I'll take what I can get. :)
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Have the finals of any Jeopardy tournament ever consisted of three players from the same QF game? I predict it could happen next week; these three were all excellent players and they presumably will be separated for the semis.

(Actually, early in the DJ round I predicted that the tournament victor would come from this game.)

On the DD in state capitals, my first thought was Harrisburg too (because the word "Temple" led me to Philadelphia) but I pressed pause and in a short time made the genealogy/Mormonism link and said Salt Lake City.

I got FJ but I don't think it's quite as easy as others have said. If I hadn't seen The Social Network, I wouldn't have known it.