SHC Round 4 Instant Replay Thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

SHC Round 4 Instant Replay Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by DadofTwins »

Not really instant, but here you go.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: SHC Round 4 Instant Replay Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

So, the 2-pointer is New Zealand, eh? Wouldn't have got that in a million years. Wonder if I'll be the only one to miss it....
BoK

Post by BoK »

Thanks for the new clues, DoT. Get well soon.

Is Strait of Messina the intended response for Day 2 #10? Because Palermo, not Messina, is the captial of Sicily. I don't know if this caused anyone to clam or miss the clue, though.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Knew I should've guessed on the 6pt and 8pt sonnetteers...

Although at this point I'd have to sabotage most of the board to move up on the list. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If it's Messina it made me clam. Anyone who misspells Barrett gets negged. How many of us older players are saying Formosa instead of Taiwan?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:How many of us older players are saying Formosa instead of Taiwan?
*raises hand*

I was going to guess Nicosia for the 10-pointer, but wasn't confident enough.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:If it's Messina it made me clam. Anyone who misspells Barrett gets negged. How many of us older players are saying Formosa instead of Taiwan?
Define 'older'...
Spoiler
30 in less than a fortnight...geebus, 30? Damn our base 10 counting system! I'll call myself one-een and see who catches on.
econgator wrote: I was going to guess Nicosia for the 10-pointer, but wasn't confident enough.
Plus Cyprus is south of Asia Minor Turkey, not exactly Europe.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Dklee12 is in serious danger of being banned from the board for coming up with that Sonnets category. The wrath of Alietr is upon thee!
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:If it's Messina it made me clam. Anyone who misspells Barrett gets negged. How many of us older players are saying Formosa instead of Taiwan?
Define 'older'...
Spoiler
30 in less than a fortnight...geebus, 30? Damn our base 10 counting system! I'll call myself one-een and see who catches on.
I turned 30 this month and said Formosa too, Volante. I guess that means we're officially on the old side.

All I could understand from the Petrarch clue was "Blah blah blah Laura blah blah," but that was enough.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Rafferty Barnes wrote: All I could understand from the Petrarch clue was "Blah blah blah Laura blah blah," but that was enough.
That's the part of my brain I *should* have listened to...but noooooo...
Ivan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Ivan »

Happy to see you back, DoT! Nice sets of clues for today and tomorrow. However, it seems to me that I almost hate categories on US TV. Not a single chance to figure anything out. But in my case it is inevitable.
BoK wrote: Is Strait of Messina the intended response for Day 2 #10? Because Palermo, not Messina, is the captial of Sicily. I don't know if this caused anyone to clam or miss the clue, though.
For me it was definitely a major argument to guess the Strait of Palermo as for the first time in 3 years I had the real chance for a perfecto. I was absolutely sure that Palermo is the capital of Sicily and I thought the guess was quite reasonable. But I failed :evil:
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

Volante wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote: All I could understand from the Petrarch clue was "Blah blah blah Laura blah blah," but that was enough.
That's the part of my brain I *should* have listened to...but noooooo...
I looked at the clue, saw that it was in Italian, and thought "Dante? No, Petrarch has a whole damn sonnet form named for him; let's try that."
billiej

Post by billiej »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
Volante wrote:
Define 'older'...
Spoiler
I turned 30 this month and said Formosa too, Volante. I guess that means we're officially on the old side.
Ha, you're still babies!

(raises hand on Formosa, too)
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

R4d2, #12--I clammed on it because I thought both gerund and participle fit the bill. I'm not sure whether or not that's correct, though. I'm a grammar nerd, but I think I need to defer to a bigger grammar nerd...
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Palermo, not Messina, is the capital of Sicily. The only strait that fits the clue is Corfu.

I guess I'm the only one who said Cook for the 2 ptr... I hate those kinds of clues. I mean the Category is "Straits," not "Countries by Straits."

ETA: Almost past 30 by a factor of two and said Taiwan. Kids today, sheesh.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, I'm grading R4D1 and billypilgrim gets the first three right in Sonnets and the 3, 9, and 15 pointers in Dramas. The next entrant is billiej, who gets the first three right in Sonnets and the 3, 9, and 15 pointer in Dramas .... hmmmmmm ....

Maybe they're the same person? :)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:So, I'm grading R4D1 and billypilgrim gets the first three right in Sonnets and the 3, 9, and 15 pointers in Dramas. The next entrant is billiej, who gets the first three right in Sonnets and the 3, 9, and 15 pointer in Dramas .... hmmmmmm ....

Maybe they're the same person? :)

Well it's entirely possible for billypilgrim to be billiej at a different time.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

We'll need a ruling from reddpenn as to whether there's any such thing as a "dangling gerund."

Brain fart on Messina/Palermo. RQ coming.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:So, the 2-pointer is New Zealand, eh? Wouldn't have got that in a million years. Wonder if I'll be the only one to miss it....
My concern was the ambiguous wording of the clue might lead someone to answer the name of the strait rather than the country.
BoK wrote:Is Strait of Messina the intended response for Day 2 #10? Because Palermo, not Messina, is the captial of Sicily. I don't know if this caused anyone to clam or miss the clue, though.
Definitely caused a miss for me if that is indeed the case, going through Mediterranean islands, I was pretty sure that Sicily was the one meant, knew the capital of Sicily was Palermo, and answered, even though I hadn't heard of "Strait of Palermo" and even though I've heard of the Strait of Messina, there was no little voice reminding me of it. I would definitely ask for a RQ if that's the case.
Apparently "older", but Taiwan here.

Fun fact, Formosa province, in Argentina is exactly antipodal (ie exactly on the other side of the world) as Taiwan! The spooky part is that I haven't come across any information to show that the naming was deliberate (I don't think at that time they even had the technology to know what was antipodal to that part of the world).)
Volante wrote:Define 'older'...
Spoiler
Man, I'm feeling old. 40 in just over 6 months. Since when did they allow babies to post on message boards and appear on Jeopardy!?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Count me as another one who considered Strait of Messina but was thrown off by the fact that Palermo is the capital. I hope that we get a replacement question, as it would give me a chance at my first perfecto since the 2007 SHC. I feel silly for inventing the "Ajaccio Strait."

When I saw there was a grammar category I freaked out, but it turned out to be an easy one. Thank you, DoT!

I knew that Glenn Close had been on The Shield so I took a big gamble and guessed it for the 15-point clue. There goes 5 points off of my score.