Quiz: 1950s SciFi/Fantasy movies

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Quiz: 1950s SciFi/Fantasy movies

Post by RandyG »

I know, I know, I've b*tched and moaned a lot about SciFi/fantasy questions on past quizzes (Star Trek, LOTR, etc.) But I actually have always enjoyed 1950s SciFi movies: low-budget, campy, often inadvertently funny, though occasionally quite good. So with that....

For 10 generally well-known 1950s SciFi flicks, match each to one of 13 photos (A thru M below.)

Scoring:
- 1 point for each title correctly matched to a photo.
- 1 point for each title by identifying a male actor or character -- by name -- who had a role of some significance.
- 1 point for each title by identifying a female actor or character -- by name -- who had a role of some significance.

.... and for the 3 leftover photos:
- 2 points for each film identified by title. (No, wise guys, these cannot include any of the titles 1-10.)
- 1 point for identifying a male or female actor or character -- by name -- who had a role of some significance.

I'll be generous on these actor/character points, but if you're obviously fishing for a name -- e.g. "Smith" -- you'll need to identify further. You can still get the point(s) for associating an actor or character with the title, even if you don't get the correct matching photo.

No penalty for incorrect guesses; no researching questions or answers, please.

My time to score and reveal is limited this week, so you'll have until the end of Labor Day weekend. PM your answers to me by 6:00pm Pacific, Monday 9/5. Format your answers so I can read them easily, thank you. Comments are welcome, but please lead with the answer part or leave all comments to the end, and start each question on a new line. For example:
1. H, Gable, Zasu Pitts
2. K, Dana Andrews.... He was so great in lots of film noir and then ended up in crappy films like these and TV shows like The Love Boat. Shame....
3. E
10. B, George (the mad scientist's assistant)**

A, Orphans of the Storm, Lillian Gish
C, Godzilla, Raymond Burr
G, How To Stuff a Wild Bikini, Edward Teller
** If the film were Of Mice and Men, "George" alone would be good enough, but if it's not one of the central characters, then additional identifying info may be required.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And so, the quiz:

1. Day the Earth Stood Still
2. Donovan's Brain
3. Forbidden Planet
4. Invaders From Mars
5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
6. Plan 9 From Outer Space
7. Them!
8. This Island Earth
9. War of the Worlds
10. When Worlds Collide

OK, I lied a little. One of the photos not matching to a title is from an historically notable SciFi/fantasy film from before the 1950s. If you name the correct film for that photo, you'll get 3 points, rather than 2.

Click on the image to get a larger version.
A ImageImage B ImageImage C Image

D Image ImageE ImageImage F Image

G ImageImage H Image ImageI Image

J ImageImage K Image ImageL Image

M Image

RandyG

Re: Quiz: 1950s SciFi/Fantasy movies

Post by RandyG »

Our cast of mostly washed-up actors who had to turn to B-grade SciFi movies in the 50s to pay the bills:

Vanya
MarkBarrett
Jeffreygallup (NOT @aol.com!)
nlw44
RCraig

Hal Panchansky (fb friend)
tagNV
kioshk (2+2)
bomtr
Peggles

econgator
HugoZ

** Check your PMs.
Last edited by RandyG on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 am, edited 8 times in total.

RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Hold

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Sorry for all the PMs but I was having trouble sending it.

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

RandyG, I don't know if you got my entry or not. The electricity here kept going out momentarily today, coming back within a few seconds but apparently logging me out of the board. I'd have my PM all written, try to send, then have to log on again and rewrite it. After the third time, I gave up. If something went through, great, but if not, I figure the elements are telling me to give it up for good. I was never going to be better than middle-of-the-pack on this quiz anyway.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Vanya wrote:Sorry for all the PMs but I was having trouble sending it.
I figured as much. Thanks for entering.

RandyG

Post by RandyG »

nlw44 wrote:RandyG, I don't know if you got my entry or not. The electricity here kept going out momentarily today, coming back within a few seconds but apparently logging me out of the board. I'd have my PM all written, try to send, then have to log on again and rewrite it. After the third time, I gave up. If something went through, great, but if not, I figure the elements are telling me to give it up for good. I was never going to be better than middle-of-the-pack on this quiz anyway.
No, didn't get your entry. Try again. I think the elements you're conferring with are on the wrong periodic table. And apparently this quiz is turning out to be more difficult than I expected, so the "middle of the pack" may turn out to be closer to the top of the pack. I'm expecting the reveal to be fun in any event.

Are you aware that you can save drafts of both posts and PMs on this board, unlike the Sony board?

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

RandyG wrote:
nlw44 wrote:RandyG, I don't know if you got my entry or not. The electricity here kept going out momentarily today, coming back within a few seconds but apparently logging me out of the board. I'd have my PM all written, try to send, then have to log on again and rewrite it. After the third time, I gave up. If something went through, great, but if not, I figure the elements are telling me to give it up for good. I was never going to be better than middle-of-the-pack on this quiz anyway.
No, didn't get your entry. Try again. I think the elements you're conferring with are on the wrong periodic table. And apparently this quiz is turning out to be more difficult than I expected, so the "middle of the pack" may turn out to be closer to the top of the pack. I'm expecting the reveal to be fun in any event.

Are you aware that you can save drafts of both posts and PMs on this board, unlike the Sony board?
I've tried saving posts, and it always tells me it'll save the title but not the contents. Possibly I am doing something wrong. But in any case, the weather has finally calmed down, with minimal damage to my trees anyway, and I will try one more time. I do this not because I was such a scifi movie fan, but as an homage to my younger self, watching all kinds of cheesy movies, every one ruthlessly chopped up to fit the commercial-loaded 90 minute slot from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm weekday afternoons. It's a wonder I was able to follow them at all!
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

RandyG

Post by RandyG »

nlw44 wrote: I've tried saving posts, and it always tells me it'll save the title but not the contents. Possibly I am doing something wrong. But in any case, the weather has finally calmed down, with minimal damage to my trees anyway, and I will try one more time. I do this not because I was such a scifi movie fan, but as an homage to my younger self, watching all kinds of cheesy movies, every one ruthlessly chopped up to fit the commercial-loaded 90 minute slot from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm weekday afternoons. It's a wonder I was able to follow them at all!
Saved drafts should include the title and box contents; I've used it many times on posts and PMs. I don't like that when you click "Save draft" you then have to "Yes" another question before it actually saves, but that's apparently the way it is.

On most of these flicks it's impossible to tell whether whole sections were chopped out, since even the uncut versions usually had giant leaps of logic and plot holes.

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

RandyG wrote:

On most of these flicks it's impossible to tell whether whole sections were chopped out, since even the uncut versions usually had giant leaps of logic and plot holes.
I've been a fan of these movies since I was a kid. As far as the films go - the schlockier, the better!

Here's an extra little trivia question for fans of this "art." : What two actor brothers starred in two movies in which they battled giant insects?

ANSWER
Spoiler
James Arness battles giant ants in Them! BTW, this is one of my favorite movies of all time!

Peter Graves battles giant grasshoppers (yes, grasshoppers!) in Beginning of the End.
I'll be sending in my answers soon. I loved this quiz. Thanks, Randy.

RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Peggles wrote: I'll be sending in my answers soon. I loved this quiz. Thanks, Randy.
:) I'll be sitting by my inbox.

RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Weekend bummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmp

tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Is that a Theremin I hear?

Post by tagNV »

Fittingly, my answer set is low-budget, campy, and inadvertently funny. :P

Seriously, I think a random number generator could get a higher score than I will. But I'll have more fun playing! :)

RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Sorry, I won't have the time to reveal tonight..... so let's give this another 24 hours. I'll start after 6pm Pacific time on Tuesday. You still have an excellent chance to make the Top 10(as there are only 10 entries so far.)

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Is that a Theremin I hear?

Post by econgator »

tagNV wrote:Seriously, I think a random number generator could get a higher score than I will.
I know it would get higher than I would. I know exactly two films and one actor. That's it. Couldn't name a single female lead.

However, I shall enter, if only to ensure that all other entrants make the top-10. :)

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've only seen one of the movies and couldn't name any of the actors, so I'll have to hang out in the lobby for this game.

Random gripe about PMs here....If you click the PM button on someone's post, it quotes that post in your PM and you have to go back and delete it.

RandyG

Post by RandyG »

tagNV wrote:Fittingly, my answer set is low-budget, campy, and inadvertently funny. :P

Seriously, I think a random number generator could get a higher score than I will. But I'll have more fun playing! :)
I just noticed your subject line. :o :o :o

I built a theremin many, many years ago. :) Too bad I could never get it to work properly. :(
(Yes, that is an 8-track tape next to it.)

There's a fascinating documentary on said machine: "Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey." It's on Netflix instant watch, if you have the capability: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/There ... kid=496624

And, of course, the most famous theremin application of all time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCeD_6Y3GQc

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote:And, of course, the most famous theremin application of all time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCeD_6Y3GQc
This one's better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPL8u8gJL0A
:)

Peggles