2014 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 3 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

2014 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 3 Instant Replay Thread

Post by Paucle »

Hope it's ok I started this!
Just wanted to thank today's guest writers. Challenging but gettable! (Although I'm not 100% sure on the 15 pter)
And Magna's top row/ bottom row seemed inverted to me. Really had to dig up the 2 pter and the 10pter popped right in.

Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2014 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 3 Instant Replay Thread

Post by Mathew5000 »

Just last night I was going through TCM listings to set my PVR, and noted the 10-pointer. I think I would have got it anyway. On the 2-pointer I clammed, but if I had been forced to guess I would have been correct. I don't think I've ever seen a Marx Brothers movie, though I know a few of the titles. I still have no idea about what the censored words are in the clue for the 2-pointer.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

There seems to be an asterisk missing from the first word in today's 8 pointer. It goes against the stated instructions, but still a little confusing.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I knew the Revelation quote had to be about Death riding a pale horse. No idea what the Katherine Anne Porter book was, but I gave it a go. No luck. I think I had the Piers Anthony novel in my mind, but I didn't get that one either.

Weird ordering for the four-letter movie titles. The Marx brothers aren't watched that much anymore, at least not by me, so that was the only one I couldn't get.

davey

Post by davey »

Mathew5000 wrote:Just last night I was going through TCM listings to set my PVR, and noted the 10-pointer. I think I would have got it anyway. On the 2-pointer I clammed, but if I had been forced to guess I would have been correct. I don't think I've ever seen a Marx Brothers movie, though I know a few of the titles. I still have no idea about what the censored words are in the clue for the 2-pointer.
Spoiler
from this Marx and Love Lucy
I should have gotten the 15-pointer. Just out of reach! Probably wouldn't have remembered the actress's name without the "French" hint...

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

davey wrote:
Mathew5000 wrote:Just last night I was going through TCM listings to set my PVR, and noted the 10-pointer. I think I would have got it anyway. On the 2-pointer I clammed, but if I had been forced to guess I would have been correct. I don't think I've ever seen a Marx Brothers movie, though I know a few of the titles. I still have no idea about what the censored words are in the clue for the 2-pointer.
Spoiler
Thanks!
I should have gotten the 15-pointer. Just out of reach! Probably wouldn't have remembered the actress's name without the "French" hint...
I've been a fan of hers since Lost and Delirious.

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Mathew5000 wrote:
davey wrote:
I've been a fan of hers since Lost and Delirious.
They really tried to "make her happen" in Canada with that and Stardom. I'd completely forgotten about her and assumed she'd become a singer when I started hearing that song on the radio (wasn't watching MM)

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've never seen a single Marx Brothers movie but Duck Soup fit the category.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:There seems to be an asterisk missing from the first word in today's 8 pointer. It goes against the stated instructions, but still a little confusing.
Agreed. I'm going to go edit in the missing asterisk. Maybe that'll head off any issues making a RQ necessary.

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I really enjoyed today's questions Bravo!

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote:I knew the Revelation quote had to be about Death riding a pale horse.
*nod* I had that part of it, but wasn't risking a guess on it.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I've never seen a single Marx Brothers movie but Duck Soup fit the category.
:shock:

You are dead to me.

Make it top priority. Stop whatever you're doing and watch one. Now. Duck Soup is a great starting point.

The wit of Groucho Marx is above anything else, and has been unparalleled since. He *must* be experienced by everyone.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

davey wrote:
Spoiler
Here are clips from the movie and show.
Spoiler

alamble

Post by alamble »

Damn, damn, damn. One short of a likely perfecto, probably the closest I'll come this entire SHC.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I took a couple of edumecated guesses, but I'm hopeful R3D2 takes care of my goal of a perfect day's score of 75 at least once this summer.

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

One of the questions in R3D2 reminds me of this really interesting video presentation I saw about painters that used the color blue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Twitter: @jfrumkin

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

MarkBarrett wrote:I took a couple of edumecated guesses, but I'm hopeful R3D2 takes care of my goal of a perfect day's score of 75 at least once this summer.
Darn, should've done the same on the last two art questions. 1988 Music is probably about as Wheelhouse-y a category as I'll have in the SHC so this would've been a good time to go for it.

I actually had no idea Got My Mind... was a cover, interesting. This is my favourite "version" of that song (six words long, indeed):

Last edited by Turd Ferguson on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I need to take more time to think about things. I saw "blue" and "ceramic", thought "delft -- comes from the Netherlands", and I never really read the rest of the clue.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Teems with quiet fun.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I hate myself for clamming on Pollack. However, it was nice to see rickrolling was useful for something.