2014 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

2014 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

Post by DadofTwins »

Here you go.
lieph82

Re: 2014 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

Post by lieph82 »

Lol at there being two Ohio-born assassinated presidents buried in Ohio.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Flipped a coin between McKinley and Garfield. (I've never watched either show referenced in the clue.) It came down wrong, costing me a perfecto. I think. Maybe.
Teems with quiet fun.
BoK

Post by BoK »

Family Ties being an 8-pointer makes me feel old.
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

immaf wrote:Flipped a coin between McKinley and Garfield. (I've never watched either show referenced in the clue.) It came down wrong, costing me a perfecto. I think. Maybe.
I think there are probably going to be a lot of us flipping this coin. I got it right, but I'd love to know how many guessed between the two and of those, what the percentages are. Should be about 50/50, unless some other factor came into play. I don't watch Glee, but McKinley just sounded that tiny bit better, probably from passing references as I change channels on the TV.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

My opera studying for J! that did me no good on the actual show (and thankfully so because I had no opera category) pays off!
Twitter: @jfrumkin
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

nlw44 wrote:
immaf wrote:Flipped a coin between McKinley and Garfield. (I've never watched either show referenced in the clue.) It came down wrong, costing me a perfecto. I think. Maybe.
I think there are probably going to be a lot of us flipping this coin. I got it right, but I'd love to know how many guessed between the two and of those, what the percentages are. Should be about 50/50, unless some other factor came into play. I don't watch Glee, but McKinley just sounded that tiny bit better, probably from passing references as I change channels on the TV.
He also seems much more likely to have schools named after him, fictional or not. Especially since The Wonder Years wasn't even set in Ohio.
BoK

Post by BoK »

tjconn728 wrote:He also seems much more likely to have schools named after him, fictional or not. Especially since The Wonder Years wasn't even set in Ohio.
I was curious. Wikipedia (yeah, I know, not comprehensive) lists 6 High Schools named after Garfield (not including a "Gar-Field" High School) and 7 McKinley High Schools. I'm much too lazy to see if these schools are named after the presidents or after someone else.

Interestingly, Wikipedia lists 7 fictional McKinley high schools (all from TV or movies), but 0 fictional Garfield High School. Why doesn't Garfield get any love?
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

I didn't think of this as I was posting, but I suppose that McKinley might be considerably more likely to have schools named after him simply because he was president for a considerably longer length of time.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

tjconn728 wrote:
nlw44 wrote:
He also seems much more likely to have schools named after him, fictional or not. Especially since The Wonder Years wasn't even set in Ohio.
From a HuffPo article - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/0 ... 58050.html

If the name of the school on “Glee” rings a bell, it might be because William McKinley High was also the setting for two of TV’s other finest portraits of teen angst: “Freaks and Geeks” and “The Wonder Years.” So, why is the 25th president of the United States such a popular namesake?

"We chose it because it was the only president's name which was legally clearable,” Judd Apatow, the executive producer of “Freaks and Geeks,” explained in an email to HuffPost TV. “We didn't realize it was used on ‘The Wonder Years.’ I assume they used it for the same reason."

On another note... Melville wrote something notable other than Moby Dick? News to me, apparently!
Last edited by Turd Ferguson on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Oh, and I guess we know that anyone answering Garfield isn't following the Arthur Chu kickstarter thread!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:
nlw44 wrote:
From a HuffPo article - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/0 ... 58050.html

If the name of the school on “Glee” rings a bell, it might be because William McKinley High was also the setting for two of TV’s other finest portraits of teen angst: “Freaks and Geeks” and “The Wonder Years.” So, why is the 25th president of the United States such a popular namesake?

"We chose it because it was the only president's name which was legally clearable,” Judd Apatow, the executive producer of “Freaks and Geeks,” explained in an email to HuffPost TV. “We didn't realize it was used on ‘The Wonder Years.’ I assume they used it for the same reason."

On another note... Melville wrote something other than Moby Dick? News to me, apparently!
Interesting research. Thanks. You might want to also put "Omoo" into the J! Archive search and see what comes up.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

It helped me that I just went to Cleveland this weekend, and in the course of researching my trip I learned that Garfield is buried in the Lakeview Cemetery. So I knew that the answer had to be the OTHER Ohio-born assassinated POTUS. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

hbomb1947 wrote:
It helped me that I just went to Cleveland this weekend, and in the course of researching my trip I learned that Garfield is buried in the Lakeview Cemetery. So I knew that the answer had to be the OTHER Ohio-born assassinated POTUS. :)
Although it could be said that, neither being buried in Akron, both McKinley and Garfield are buried "outside Akron." ;)

I had a definite advantage on this question because I've been to both the McKinley and Garfield Memorials many times in my life.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

MarkBarrett wrote: Interesting research. Thanks. You might want to also put "Omoo" into the J! Archive search and see what comes up.
YOU O ME $1200: The title of this 1847 Melville novel is the sound an Irish cow might make

I don't know whether to laugh or groan...
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

MarkBarrett wrote:You might want to also put "Omoo" into the J! Archive search and see what comes up.
Also Typee.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

nlw44 wrote:
I knew McKinley because I used to watch Glee for the first three seasons. I got sick of it when it became clear that they were going to keep the same kids on the show even after they graduated and never deal with the bloated mess of characters it created.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:You might want to also put "Omoo" into the J! Archive search and see what comes up.
Also Typee.
I'm typing e. Now what?

:D
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Interesting research. Thanks. You might want to also put "Omoo" into the J! Archive search and see what comes up.
YOU O ME $1200: The title of this 1847 Melville novel is the sound an Irish cow might make

I don't know whether to laugh or groan...
It got a chuckle out of me. (Reminds me of that "Cockney barber" clue from a few years ago. :))

So I didn't get a perfecto today, but I didn't have to clam, which was a nice respite from Friday's negative-points debacle. I don't watch "Glee," but for some reason I tend to follow it from time to time on the Internet (rubbernecking, perhaps?), so McKinley was a no-brainer for me.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I've seen a few episodes of Glee. I wasn't into it, so I stopped watching, bit it was enough to know the name of the high school-though US presidents are in my wheelhouse, so I probably could've figured it out.