2014 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: 2014 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

Post by Bamaman »

I thought it was triple play since he was referring to a specific play that could easily have been a triple play. While rare, a triple play isn't huge news like a no hitter so it is something that could have happened without many noticing even if they are baseball fans.

But I went with double play because I have never heard of the expression triple time. I oppose triple play being accepted, but do think a RQ is in order as the question was poorly worded.

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

I am still of the opinion that the possibility of players answering "triple play" makes the clue patently unfair. Technically, "triple play" is mere neg bait, and ordinarily my response to neg bait would be "That happens. I'll try to do better next time, but play on."

But in this case, as I said earlier, "triple play" is neg bait to an extent that I believe makes the clue fundamentally unfair. There is no way to know for sure which is right unless you had either seen the Milwaukee-San Diego game in question, or cheated. You could make an educated guess, but that's the best it would be.

So, despite my desire to give points, I hear the objection that I simply cannot reward "triple play" as though it were correct. I also don't want to neg people because they weren't psychic enough to figure out what I was doing when I re-wrote Paucle's clue. In my view, that's not fair, either.

Here's what let's do:

"Double play" gets the points.

Paucle, if you're available, please send me a 4-point-level response that fits the category. I'll write a clue, and we'll re-play it. Any response other than "double play" will be scored as a clam until the RQ goes live. Also, we will not name a winner to Round 4 until this is resolved.

Sorry for the confusion.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Check your PMs, DoT!

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

DadofTwins wrote: "Double play" gets the points.

Any response other than "double play" will be scored as a clam until the RQ goes live. Also, we will not name a winner to Round 4 until this is resolved.
The standings have been updated to reflect this.

jstainer
Valued Contributor

Post by jstainer »

Loved the Wyld Stallions category. Never would have got most of those questions except that I have seen that movie like 50 times!

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Based on the standings, I guess my answer "light house" for R4D5 12-pointer was marked incorrect? I still think it fits every part of the clue.
Mathew5000 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Mathew5000 wrote:Let me put in a plea for my alternate answer on "12: Shell, for instance: Neon blank blank wagon": light house.

I know that "house wagon" is not a terribly common term, but does come up occasionally, for example here.
But is there a Shell lighthouse? Or are you saying that a "light house" could be a shell? Gee, it's a stretch! :)
Ask a snail, or a tortoise.

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

Mathew5000 wrote:Based on the standings, I guess my answer "light house" for R4D5 12-pointer was marked incorrect?
Your "light house" answer is indeed marked as incorrect.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Magna wrote:I'm not sure the R4D5 10-pointer had a correct answer. It looks like most people are answering "showdown," and maybe that's the intended answer. But I see the game is actually called the Showcase Showdown, not just Showdown. The "Showcase" part of it doesn't work as a phrase with "time". Or, if you break each of the two words into parts, then "case" doesn't work, as far as I can tell.
http://priceisright.wikia.com/wiki/Showcase_Showdown
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Price_ ... e_Showdown

So I don't think there was a correct answer to this one, and I request a RQ.
Any ruling on this? :)

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I only supplied DoT with the answer (he replaced one of my original ? with it), but since SHOWCASE was in the clue, I'm assuming it wasn't required for the reply, making the correct reply work with the theme.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Another 5-4-3 triple play

http://deadspin.com/the-pirates-pulled- ... 1634628457

...damnit Cubs. :|
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (9), Lone Wolf & Cub: White Heaven in Hell (9), Into the Forest (5)