Apology by esrever: I'm the cheater.

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

esrever
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Apology by esrever: I'm the cheater.

Post by esrever »

Everyone,

I sincerely apologize for all the hardship caused by my cheating on the TDs, Guesstimania, and Chronology. I'm sorry that I deprived honest players of a higher standing in the TDs and other games.
jjwaymee wrote: So given that when I am the host you are all playing in my sandbox, here is my announcement -- The following usernames will not be allowed to play TD 208 in a couple of weeks OR in Guesstimania: Survivor whenever I do it again:

esrever
Noon
Cat Hat
Binky
Bristle
Lilac
nestegg
kayanne
dpp
d4z
Joy
aardvark
Christy
Alyssa

and...

gem
I was directly responsible for all 15 accounts listed above. (Great detective work!) There are no other accounts involved, but the mods should verify this of course.

I was getting tired of posting to jBoard after nearly every Jeopardy! show from December 2013 to the end of last season. The multi-user game cheating was getting very tedious and tiresome. Imagine having to research the correct answers for 15 different "players" and making sure that they "stepped on each other's toes" as few times as possible! I was beginning to wonder how I could get out of this thing without people wondering: Where did all those players go?

So really, I'm relieved to be finally found out. I guessed correctly that esrever would be the last domino to fall, since it had many posts and seemed legitimate.

I'm offering to re-score the two TDs I hosted, since I still have all of the entered data. Of course, someone else can re-score them if you don't trust me.

If you could keep the esrever account open for just another couple of weeks, I can do the re-scoring.

You may cancel the other 14 accounts since I have no use for them now.

Again, my sincerest apologies to all.

John
lieph82

Re: Apology by esrever: I'm the cheater.

Post by lieph82 »

lol
Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kingrat47 »

Nothing says "sorry" like "Gosh, it's been tedious compulsively carrying out my incredibly elaborate and pointless cheating scheme! Why didn't you dummies catch me earlier?"

Bugger off.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

The popcorn these last few days has been very tasty. Great job to the detectives that uncovered this scandal.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kingrat47 wrote:Bugger off.
Seriously. WTF? :?
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Kingrat47 wrote:Nothing says "sorry" like "Gosh, it's been tedious compulsively carrying out my incredibly elaborate and pointless cheating scheme! Why didn't you dummies catch me earlier?"

Bugger off.
Exactly this. And he's "happy" to have been found out so he won't have to bear the burden of cheating any longer.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

So if I understand correctly, posting about the actual show got boring after one month, but it took about six months for you to tire of managing 14 sock puppet accounts, each created to make it easier to win a game that maybe 60 people care about?
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Austin Powers wrote:So if I understand correctly, posting about the actual show got boring after one month, but it took about six months for you to tire of managing 14 sock puppet accounts, each created to make it easier to win a game that maybe 60 people care about?
What is the point of cheating anonymously on a game where the only prize is pride?
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Thank you for apologizing. I can cancel Cat Hat and Alyssa from the TD. Because of that, I will say that Cat Hat was going to place 4th, and Alyssa in the teens. I did a simulation of the TD after 31 entrants, and Cat Hat actually won. Therefore, I believe that the later entrants did the cheaters justice, by giving Cat Hat more points than other users.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I can see cheating on a game, but on your own game? That is really strange.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Thanks for coming forward. I can't forgive you on behalf of all the contestants and (especially) hosts that you've wronged, but in all sincerity, I do hope you are able to find a more productive (and perhaps less internet-based) use of your time in the future.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

What gfft said, or alternatively, the orderlies could restrict your computer access.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

esrever wrote:I was directly responsible for all 15 accounts listed above. (Great detective work!) There are no other accounts involved, but the mods should verify this of course.

I was getting tired of posting to jBoard after nearly every Jeopardy! show from December 2013 to the end of last season. The multi-user game cheating was getting very tedious and tiresome. Imagine having to research the correct answers for 15 different "players" and making sure that they "stepped on each other's toes" as few times as possible! I was beginning to wonder how I could get out of this thing without people wondering: Where did all those players go?
This is the part that doesn't make sense to me. Why would you/he care about people wondering where all of those players went? I would imagine that people disappear from this board all of the time, and people who haven't interacted with others other than to play some TDs would barely be noticed, I would think.
Sheepin' it real.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:This is the part that doesn't make sense to me.
That's the only part that doesn't make sense to you? :)
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Cool. Go see a therapist or something I think.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
BobF

Post by BobF »

esrever wrote:Everyone,

I was getting tired of posting to jBoard after nearly every Jeopardy! show from December 2013 to the end of last season. The multi-user game cheating was getting very tedious and tiresome. Imagine choosing to research the correct answers for 15 different "players" and making sure that they "stepped on each other's toes" as few times as possible! I was beginning to wonder how I could get away with this as long as possible out of this thing without people wondering: Where did all those players go?

John
Fixed it for you.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

harrumph wrote:
In a tragic irony, Walter Scott, who sang lead on this song, was murdered by his cheating wife's lover.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

Just go.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I am worried about some of those fake people. What will happen to them when they are released into the wilderness? Alyssa, for one, is only 14 years old. Besides, my operating system has become quite fond of them; she might get depressed if they leave.