J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Robert K S »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:27 pm I wonder does the Archive have any plans to incorporate the box score?
Stay tuned...
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

Leander wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:16 pm
Picked Off wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:58 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm Former champ Tom Nichols in The Atlantic:

It Might Be Time to Retire 'Jeopardy'

I pretty much agree with what he's written.
Stephen Curry has mastered the 3-pointer and inspired a generation to play the game differently. Interest is at an all-time high. Let us cancel basketball. It's the only way.
Being a cranky old timer, I’d say just because interest is at an all time high doesn’t mean it’s a better game.
I wouldn't mind bringing back the retirements, but I think they could better solve the problem with less stunt-casting. The NBA with a "representative" proportion of nurses and mechanics and computer programmers and left-handed Albanian women would be a less interesting NBA. Although Albanian women are notoriously deadly from the free-throw line.

Amy's exceptionally rangy in knowledge, fast on the buzzer, comfortable with the process... and... it seems about one-fifth as likely to face anyone who has a chance to challenge her as a contestant before this season. Same with Matt. This isn't rocket science. In the proportionate version of the NBA, Steph Curry goes off for 100 points whenever he feels like it.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

‘Jeopardy!’ Just Passed ’60 Minutes’ to Become the Most-Watched Non-Sports Show on TV

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeo ... 00525.html
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Look. I have been pondering a response all week. The thing to keep in mind is Jeopardy rewards intelligence. Matt, James and Amy are anomalies compared to the average. All three are highly intelligent and super quick on the buzzer. Why should we reinstate a retirement rule when arguably you are telling people: we don't want you to be too smart because it affects public image. You know what the sky's the limit rule brings? Ratings. Ratings brings money. The game show Video Power back in the early 90s had some super incredible female video game players who were turned down as Contestants because they kicked boys behind in auditions to the point of tears. I don't want J! to start looking at PR and image for this.

Keep in mind these hit pieces have only shown up when people are going on these super runs. Is it unusual we have seen 3 30x Champs in the last 4 years compared to the 34 years prior? Yes. It also doesn't mean this will keep happening. Momentum does run out. If we weren't having a season beyond belief with Champs left and right, we aren't having this discussion. Nichols' article peeves me quite a bit because it somewhat reeks of jealousy and as someone who works as a Harvard professor, feels like he is acting entitled.

Statistically the champ is at an advantage after winning the first game when it comes to buzzer speed since they have practice. It happens. (I have never been on the show and decided a few years back to stop trying because I don't feel intelligent enough, lack the personality and am a poor public speaker, but I have watched the show for over 2 decades to understand buzzer practice.)

I thought the season 26-27-28 TOC was the best field I have seen, but the 37-38-39 field is going to make for one insane TOC and J! should and will market it. Jeopardy is more popular than ever and the amount of spinoffs should tell you they are doing the right thing.
Last edited by Roadgeek Adam on Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
yclept

Post by yclept »

2/1/21: Zack Newkirk loses.
6/28/21: Courtney Shah wins her first game.

I read the Jeopardy should retire piece and found it to be nothing more than complaining for the sake of complaining. Yes,Courtney Shah’s run (aided by some luck, but a run is a run) was the beginning of a super champ streak, as Matt’s streak began a few weeks after Courtney lost. But is this truly a sign of the future of Jeopardy, or the random blip? I lean towards the latter. If we truly were in an era of “professional Jeopardy players,” we should have seen more big-time players once James initially left. While Jason adapted some of James’ strategies to become a big champ himself, we mostly had a dry period after the James run. Other than Jason, only three players won more than five games during Season 36 (three women who won eight games each). This is hardly a sign that James changed the game in the big way some anticipated. To be exact, the majority of players (including our current super champ) went back to a more traditional style. Some who tried to emulate James crashed and burned.

And I don’t know why Amy or Matt is any different than the “relatable people” the author seems to think we are lacking. While James wasn’t likely relatable as an “every man making it big,” Matt and Amy give no vibe of being bigger than the game. Both could have fallen in Game 1. Back to James: Why wouldn’t I want to watch Emma play? Why should I care about what she wrote about in college? Did the author complain when Roger, who studied the game as extensively as anyone to the point where he had the percentages in his brain over where the DD would be, won his games and his TOC? As in everything in life, some people are going to be more prepared than others. Maybe we should randomly take people off the street so we know that they likely didn’t prepare at all.

Like most competitions, Jeopardy goes through periods of big champs and periods where hardly anyone can get into a groove. Times when it feels like the NBA (where we tend to have more repeating champs) and other times when it feels like MLB (no repeat winner since 2000). Will he complain when a 2-day, $45,000 champ is the norm for several weeks?

As for Arthur Chu saying that the game is more about the hosts, that is just ridiculous. The overwhelming majority of the audience isn’t tuning in for Ken or Mayim. The drama around who the new host would be was bound to create conversation. And when you have hosts for two weeks at a time, they will be judged. At no point did the host become a bigger deal to me than the game, whether it was someone I thought did well or someone I thought we should never see again.

And I will continue to celebrate all champs and continue to be amazed by these incredible champions of late.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 515125001/

She does have one trick up her sleeve: J! Archive, a fan-created website that has every question and answer on "Jeopardy!" since the current syndicated version premiered in 1984. In her downtime, she looks for things she doesn't know – though it's hard to believe such facts exist.

Yay, 1984!

every question and answer is closer than 48,000 from other articles
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

yclept wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:50 pm As for Arthur Chu saying that the game is more about the hosts, that is just ridiculous. The overwhelming majority of the audience isn’t tuning in for Ken or Mayim. The drama around who the new host would be was bound to create conversation. And when you have hosts for two weeks at a time, they will be judged. At no point did the host become a bigger deal to me than the game, whether it was someone I thought did well or someone I thought we should never see again.
I've heard a few people say that Ken is trying to "make it about himself" too much. I'm not really sure where that notion comes from. Other than the interview segment how much extemporaneous speaking does he do? Gotta be 30 seconds tops, typically.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I loved Alex but I never thought the show was about him. The parade of guest hosts did get tiresome but even then I was more into the game than caring who was reading the answers.

I think Ken has done a good job not trying to showcase himself. He had haters during his run and I suspect there is some spillover from that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think in addition to just generally being natural in clue readings and in adding a thing or two once they're out of play, Ken's also done well in delivering "Jeopardy! historian" type remarks that require him to acknowledge himself as a part of J! history.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:40 pm I think in addition to just generally being natural in clue readings and in adding a thing or two once they're out of play, Ken's also done well in delivering "Jeopardy! historian" type remarks that require him to acknowledge himself as a part of J! history.
I think you just nailed it. He has been mentioning where Amy stands all time, which requires him to mention himself.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just saw an ad for the college championship while watching the NFL game. Just a few random clips of people giving responses and a sound bite from Mayim with no suggestion as to the format.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I really have no idea who she is, but if Alex liked her I think she at least deserved a week.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Damn, it makes me mad that they wouldn't let her host. They had only four female guest hosts last year and three of them weren't regular viewers of the show. Two of them didn't want to be considered for the permanent host gig, and that's mostly how we ended up with Mayim. Maybe they should've auditioned more women who both wanted the job and were long-term fans of the show, like Laura Coates?

Edit: Now I'm getting mad at Mike Richards. He put his thumb on the scale. Laura checked off too many boxes: female, black, endorsed by Alex himself, would probably kick ass at the job. Mike couldn't let that happen or he would've had no chance.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

WSJ provides its take on the state of J! currently, with a name-drop of OntarioQuizzer. I believe former contestant Charlene Lee was involved with the article's editing.
The showrunner is using a playbook for “Jeopardy!” that has worked for other pop-culture franchises: superserve hard-core fans, and broader audiences will follow. For a game show rooted in facts, geeking out is on brand.
I don't know if we're being "superserved", but the service is better than usual, for sure!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Call Me Kat producer Fox Entertainment's president Michael Thorn on Mayim's J! duties:
We really believe in Call Me Kat, and Mayim is fantastic both in front of and behind the camera. It’s no surprise she’s also doing exceptional work on Jeopardy!. We’ve really tried to support her while she’s doing Kat. As long as we can keep doing Call Me Kat at the level we’re doing it, we’re happy to support Mayim and our other talent trying to do other creative endeavors that lean into their ambitions. And the truth is, Mayim being on Jeopardy! isn’t the worst thing for Call Me Kat. It’s a good thing to have her out there in front of an audience that maybe hasn’t watched Kat yet but might now because they love her on Jeopardy!. We’re very supportive of it. We’ve really tried to work with her and her team and Sony [which produces Jeopardy!] to try and make it work. As long as we can protect Kat, we’re very happy to support her and feel like they’re beneficial to each other.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf

Post by Golf »

I don't blame them one bit.

Good article and the archive gets yet another mention.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:26 am
I don't blame them one bit.

Good article and the archive gets yet another mention.
The article was good; the headline was crap.