J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: J! in the Media

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:15 pm I'm not sure who I find more annoying, the people who are obsessed with trying to root out the "woke brigade" in unrelated conversations, or said brigade itself.
If you're referring to the previous post, Arthur Chu has a public posting history that might lead one to expect a "woke" response. (E.g. the infamous "F--K WHITE PEOPLE" tweet/post/whatever platform it was.) GaryG wasn't the only one who was worried Chu might veer in that direction again.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Yahoo News: Ken Jennings reportedly didn't get the Jeopardy! host job because of his old tweets.
https://news.yahoo.com/ken-jennings-rep ... 45087.html
The A.V. Club: Ken Jennings' problematic tweets reportedly cost him the Jeopardy! job.
https://www.avclub.com/ken-jennings-pro ... 1847572290
Sherm put this news in another thread, but here's more coverage.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I'm disappointed with Ken for his inappropriate tweets, but at least he apologized and stopped making those mistakes. Social media nowadays has gotten even more spiteful than ever.
Just a person who loves game shows.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

No new info, but here's another opinion piece.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/28/perspect ... index.html
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I can't imagine the banter he engages in on The Chase is helpful. On the last episode that aired, it seemed like Ken was approaching the line that separates playful banter to outright malice.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:37 pm I can't imagine the banter he engages in on The Chase is helpful. On the last episode that aired, it seemed like Ken was approaching the line that separates playful banter to outright malice.
Those aren’t necessarily his words, there is a producer wanting a certain feel to each show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

davey wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:02 am Thankfully I've never heard of this guy before, and I hope I'll stop hearing of him soon. To me, Matt Walsh is one of the founders (with Amy Poehler) of the Upright Citizens Brigade theater, and he was Julia Louis-Dreyfus' press secretary on Veep. Of the 2, he's the only Matt Walsh who could possibly show up on J!...
Speaking of this Matt Walsh, another interesting choice might be Dan Bakkedahl.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I've heard that Charles Woodson has passed the Jeopardy! tryout test before and is a big fan of the show, so he should've had a chance to guest host like his former Packer teammate.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Outsider: ‘Jeopardy!’ Champ Matt Amodio Sends Funny Message To Buzzy Cohen as Tournament of Champions Reruns Air.
https://outsider.com/news/entertainment ... eruns-air/
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The Jeopardy! debacle is one of the headline stories on tonight's BBC World News broadcast.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

He judged based on how he treated people on the job at Jeopardy. Which is much more damning that comments on an old podcast.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:08 am
He judged based on how he treated people on the job at Jeopardy. Which is much more damning that comments on an old podcast.
Details, James. We want details.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

From that piece:
A handful of politically incorrect soundbites is all it took for Richards to get canceled
I'd say this is incorrect. It wasn't just the soundbites. It was the soundbites, the harassment allegations at TPIR, the appearance that he rigged the competition so that he would win. There was a barrage of bad publicity regarding Richards and the only person I heard about who made any attempt to stick up for him was Drew Carey.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

If we believe the other TPIR sources, Richards quickly sidled up to Carey and only showed his true colors to the underlings.

Vulture: Mike Richards Also Feuded With … Ralph Lauren?.
http://www.vulture.com/2021/09/jeopardy ... =feed-part

My objective is not to cancel Mike Richards. Like many fans, probably like McNear as well, my affinity for Jeopardy! resembles a sense of ownership. McNear's work merely confirmed what many of us already suspected--that Richards was a wrong fit for the show. The J! staff is excellence personified--including some key players that retired or were forced out during Richards' reign as EP. They maintained gleaming standards of respect, fair play, camaraderie, and intelligence in all aspects of the show. Richards disrupted that environment and put their hard-won reputation at risk. Better he walk away with the black eye than cause more damage.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Anyone whining about Cancel Culture in any context can be safely ignored. It's people uncomfortable with the idea that they can't act like a huge jerk without consequences.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
brick

Post by brick »

I would have fired anyone stupid enough to make those podcasts. I wouldn't want someone as wiling to mock his brand in charge of mine.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

zakharov wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 am Anyone whining about Cancel Culture in any context can be safely ignored. It's people uncomfortable with the idea that they can't act like a huge jerk without consequences.
Totally agree.