J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MarkBarrett »

The J! episode playing when Linda Tripp turns on her TV will be tough to identify. It's Alex's remarks just prior to the reveal of the DJ! round categories (with none named) and no players shown. It would take one of the contestants to recognize it's their own game probably to pinpoint it.

9 more episodes of material for this FX series? Sarah Paulson won't be the only one with padding.

Hope Edie Falco as Hillary gets more to do than just using the facilities.
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:41 pm Hope Edie Falco as Hillary gets more to do than just using the facilities.
Apparently not 'til Ep. 7 (which is presumably the point at which the trailer shows her throwing a lamp at Clive Owen's Bill).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Article about changes to J! sister show Wheel in the upcoming season:
https://www.today.com/popculture/wheel- ... -s-t230454
Golf

Post by Golf »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:04 pm Article about changes to J! sister show Wheel in the upcoming season:
I really like what Pat had to say about the final spin.

Now if the contestant in control of the wheel is behind they should of course aim for the $5k. If they have a big lead they should stay as far away from the $5k as possible.

Naturally, on the first show the person in control of the wheel will have a $10K lead, spin and hit the $5K, and jump up and down like it’s the greatest thing in the world.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Golf wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:47 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:04 pm Article about changes to J! sister show Wheel in the upcoming season:
I really like what Pat had to say about the final spin.

Now if the contestant in control of the wheel is behind they should of course aim for the $5k. If they have a big lead they should stay as far away from the $5k as possible.

Naturally, on the first show the person in control of the wheel will have a $10K lead, spin and hit the $5K, and jump up and down like it’s the greatest thing in the world.
The guy who was in first going into the final spin last night was clearly displeased when the $5,000 was hit (he ended up winning $145,000, but he knew what was going on).

Edit: Didn't realize it was a rerun. I rarely watch, but my kids wanted to.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I can't read it because it's paywalled--or rather, what I can read gives scant detail--but there's a story out there about how the estate of a deceased one-time paramour of Alex Trebek named Norma Lipp (it was claimed that she turned down his marriage proposal) won a $43 million jury verdict against cigarette manufacturer Philip Morris. The fact of this broken engagement was purportedly introduced at trial "to show the jury the decedent had good character when she started smoking Virginia Slim cigarettes from her teens to early 30s."

Alex's private life was fairly private and I can't find anything else online about the purported Trebek-Lipp pairing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:33 pm I can't read it because it's paywalled--or rather, what I can read gives scant detail--but there's a story out there about how the estate of a deceased one-time paramour of Alex Trebek named Norma Lipp (it was claimed that she turned down his marriage proposal) won a $43 million jury verdict against cigarette manufacturer Philip Morris. The fact of this broken engagement was purportedly introduced at trial "to show the jury the decedent had good character when she started smoking Virginia Slim cigarettes from her teens to early 30s."

Alex's private life was fairly private and I can't find anything else online about the purported Trebek-Lipp pairing.
Doing a Google search for "$43 million philip morris" turned up this:

Miami, FL— A Florida jury handed down a $43 million verdict against Philip Morris Friday after finding the company responsible for the cancer death of a woman who had smoked the company's Virginia Slims cigarettes. Lipp v. Philip Morris, 2017-CA-018509.

The verdict, in Florida's 11th Judicial Circuit, includes $15 million in compensatory damages and $28 million in punitives for the 1993 lung cancer death of Norma Lipp.

Lipp, 55, had smoked between 1 and 2 packs of cigarettes a day for decades, including roughly 15 years smoking Virginia Slims. Her family claims the company’s participation in a long-running conspiracy to hide the dangers of smoking hooked her to nicotine and caused her fatal cancer.

suggest-a-case-to-cvn

During Friday’s closings, The Alvarez Law Firm’s Alex Alvarez requested $56 million in damages, including $28 million in compensatories and $28 million in punitives.

The case is among thousands that stem from Engle v. Liggett Group Inc., a 1994 Florida class-action lawsuit against the nation's tobacco companies that led to a plaintiffs' verdict at trial.

The state's supreme court later decertified the class, but held that "Engle progeny" cases may be tried individually. Engle progeny plaintiffs are entitled to the benefit of the jury's findings in the original verdict, including the determination that tobacco companies placed a dangerous, addictive product on the market and hid the dangers of smoking. To be entitled to those findings, however, each plaintiff must prove the smoker at the heart of their case suffered from nicotine addiction that was the legal cause of a smoking-related disease.

What drove Lipp to smoke served as a central point of contention in the 9-day trial. Philip Morris contends Lipp understood the dangers of cigarettes but was never interested in quitting in time to avoid her cancer.

During Friday’s closings, Beck Redden’s Kat Gallagher told jurors Lipp knew there was a risk to smoking at least as far back as 1969, when she and her husband first met, and she would talk about "the bad stuff" in cigarettes.

"Why would Ms. Lipp refer to 'the bad stuff' in cigarettes if she thought cigarettes posed no health risks?" Gallagher asked.

And Gallagher noted testimony that Lipp had quit smoking during each of her three pregnancies.

"If you believe [testimony] that Ms. Lipp did not smoke for months and months and months of each of her pregnancies, that means when she started smoking again it was because she chose to smoke and not because of nicotine," Gallagher said.

But the Lipp family’s attorneys argued that Lipp was so addicted to cigarettes she failed in multiple quit attempts and continued to smoke even after she was diagnosed with lung cancer.

That nicotine addiction, Alvarez told jurors Friday, was fueled by tobacco industry initiatives designed to undercut evidence of smoking’s risks and marketing campaigns designed to attract consumers to a product the industry knew was dangerous.

And Alvarez said Philip Morris’ Virginia Slims, marketed primarily to women with its photos of glamorous models and its iconic "You’ve come a Long Way, Baby" tagline, successfully targeted Lipp.

"If you look at these photographs of [Lipp] in the middle and you look at this [Virginia Slims] model, you would think they were the same person," Alvarez said, contrasting the cigarette brand’s ads with photos of Lipp.

"They zeroed in like laser-focus and hit their target."

The trial's structure was unusual among Engle litigation, with jurors deciding punitive damages at the same time they determined class membership and compensatories. Engle progeny trials throughout the last decade have generally held a separate phase to determine a punitive award, if necessary, immediately after a verdict on class membership and compensatories.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Warning:. Persons reading the comments may experience temporary loss of IQ points.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:33 pm I can't read it because it's paywalled--or rather, what I can read gives scant detail--but there's a story out there about how the estate of a deceased one-time paramour of Alex Trebek named Norma Lipp (it was claimed that she turned down his marriage proposal) won a $43 million jury verdict against cigarette manufacturer Philip Morris. The fact of this broken engagement was purportedly introduced at trial "to show the jury the decedent had good character when she started smoking Virginia Slim cigarettes from her teens to early 30s."

Here's a longer excerpt from the law.com story-

A Florida jury awarded the client of a Coral Gables attorney in Engle progeny litigation a verdict in the tens of millions of dollars.

But that required Michael Alvarez, a partner at the Alvarez Law Firm and lead attorney for the estate of Norma Lipp, to show the jury the decedent had good character when she started smoking Virginia Slim cigarettes from her teens to early 30s.

That showing was necessary because the defendants, Philip Morris USA Inc. and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., argued that Alvarez did not know much about Lipp during those nearly two decades, since he did not have a living witness who could serve as a character witness at trial.

The implication that the defendants attempted to draw was that they were not responsible for Lipp’s cancer-related death, since she could have had poor character, Alvarez said. To overcome that perception, Alvarez arrived at court armed with photos of the decedent in her 20s, with friends and her love interest.

“Before the smoker married her husband, she turned down an engagement to Alex Trebek,” Alvarez said. “We showed some pictures of her and Trebek in her early 20s. We tried to bring evidence to say, ‘While there is nobody in here talking that knew her at the time, we do know what she was doing at the time.’”
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

DBear wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:39 pm
Warning:. Persons reading the comments may experience temporary loss of IQ points.
Thanks for the warning. Having missed the most scandalously easy FJ of all time, I don't think I can afford even a temporary loss of IQ.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:50 pm

Here's a longer excerpt from the law.com story-

A Florida jury awarded the client of a Coral Gables attorney in Engle progeny litigation a verdict in the tens of millions of dollars.

But that required Michael Alvarez, a partner at the Alvarez Law Firm and lead attorney for the estate of Norma Lipp, to show the jury the decedent had good character when she started smoking Virginia Slim cigarettes from her teens to early 30s.

That showing was necessary because the defendants, Philip Morris USA Inc. and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., argued that Alvarez did not know much about Lipp during those nearly two decades, since he did not have a living witness who could serve as a character witness at trial.

The implication that the defendants attempted to draw was that they were not responsible for Lipp’s cancer-related death, since she could have had poor character, Alvarez said. To overcome that perception, Alvarez arrived at court armed with photos of the decedent in her 20s, with friends and her love interest.

“Before the smoker married her husband, she turned down an engagement to Alex Trebek,” Alvarez said. “We showed some pictures of her and Trebek in her early 20s. We tried to bring evidence to say, ‘While there is nobody in here talking that knew her at the time, we do know what she was doing at the time.’”
How is her character relevant? Is she more deserving of compensation if she was a paragon of virtue than an immoral pleasure seeker?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

BuzzFeed: 26 “Jeopardy!” Behind-The-Scenes Facts That Sound Fake But Are 100% True.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/katherinepickh ... enes-facts
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

squarekara wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:25 am BuzzFeed: 26 “Jeopardy!” Behind-The-Scenes Facts That Sound Fake But Are 100% True.
Typical Buzzfeed - was there anything there, other than for example the precise number of clues in a year, that most serious fans did not already know? I think even casual fans would know at least 6-10 on the list.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:29 am
squarekara wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:25 am BuzzFeed: 26 “Jeopardy!” Behind-The-Scenes Facts That Sound Fake But Are 100% True.
Typical Buzzfeed - was there anything there, other than for example the precise number of clues in a year, that most serious fans did not already know? I think even casual fans would know at least 6-10 on the list.
Yes, not a lot of new info for the hardcore fan. The one that irked me was the false notion that Merv Griffin's headstone made reference to his "game show" legacy. :roll: However, I thought it was interesting that the article included the full Trebek/Sajak switcheroo videos.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Noting the removal of any "I am so humbled"- type bs from MR:
https://www.tmz.com/2021/09/14/jeopardy ... k-episode/
Also:
Vulture: Jeopardy! Distracts Us From Mike Richards With … Alex Trebek’s Name?.
http://www.vulture.com/2021/09/jeopardy ... =feed-part
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

LA Times: How ex-'Jeopardy!’ host Mike Richards acquitted himself as TV’s dead man walking

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... ost-review

(archive) https://web.archive.org/web/20210915051 ... ost-review
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

TMZ can't even get their own story right. It's for the rest of 2021, not the entire season. :roll: