J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: J! in the Media

Post by alietr »

I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.arthurchufilm.com/
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

Well, not exactly the mainstream media, but...
https://www.theonion.com/god-humbled-to ... 1826072334
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Dane Cook had a reaction to being namedropped on Jeopardy
https://news.avclub.com/hey-dane-cook-d ... 1826573969
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

An odd and fun little quiz by Keith Williams appeared in The New York Times yesterday. Has it been mentioned here that he's been writing a column for them for over a year?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... 5420540606
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This is a bit self-indulgent, but podcasts are part of "the media," so here it is. Local comedian Brent Weinbach, whom I became familiar with because of a video game music podcast, also does a podcast called "Pointed Questions" where he simply interviews people (alongside a "sidekick" who says a thing or two). He also became familiar with me through his video game music podcast (because I comment on the postings on its website and went to a live recording of their 200th episode), discovered I was a J! champ, and invited me to be interviewed on that topic, and I was totally game for it.

Soundcloud link
iTunes link
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 am This is a bit self-indulgent, but podcasts are part of "the media," so here it is. Local comedian Brent Weinbach, whom I became familiar with because of a video game music podcast, also does a podcast called "Pointed Questions" where he simply interviews people (alongside a "sidekick" who says a thing or two). He also became familiar with me through his video game music podcast (because I comment on the postings on its website and went to a live recording of their 200th episode), discovered I was a J! champ, and invited me to be interviewed on that topic, and I was totally game for it.

Soundcloud link
iTunes link
Thank you for sharing the links. I listened to the whole thing while archiving today's old game. You are an excellent guest speaking well about your experience on J!

Casey Kasem must have rolled over when 140,000 people did not know the country for Men Without Hats. Of course I have to realize Casey (and MTV VJs) talking about such things was now 35 years ago as hard it seems it was that long ago.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:42 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 am This is a bit self-indulgent, but podcasts are part of "the media," so here it is. Local comedian Brent Weinbach, whom I became familiar with because of a video game music podcast, also does a podcast called "Pointed Questions" where he simply interviews people (alongside a "sidekick" who says a thing or two). He also became familiar with me through his video game music podcast (because I comment on the postings on its website and went to a live recording of their 200th episode), discovered I was a J! champ, and invited me to be interviewed on that topic, and I was totally game for it.

Soundcloud link
iTunes link
Thank you for sharing the links. I listened to the whole thing while archiving today's old game. You are an excellent guest speaking well about your experience on J!

Casey Kasem must have rolled over when 140,000 people did not know the country for Men Without Hats. Of course I have to realize Casey (and MTV VJs) talking about such things was now 35 years ago as hard it seems it was that long ago.
As is frequently the case, I took satisfaction from steering clear of the most popular wrong answer. Over 100,000 guessed Australia, and I was proud of myself for being able to verbalize my misgivings about choosing that while the question was still in play.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Alex is one of the panelists on tonight's (June 24) To Tell the Truth.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dinghammer wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:43 pm Alex is one of the panelists on tonight's (June 24) To Tell the Truth.

One of the imposters was Rick Cramer and he had this interesting fact to add when he turned out not to be the son of John Wayne:
Spoiler
One of the earlier rounds featured a member of the Harlem Globetrotters and after the show Alex got to do this:
Spoiler
A bonus spoiler from The $100,000 Pyramid:
Spoiler
The contestant on the right showed what pressure under the lights can do. She was unable to name an astronaut and it cost her winning $50,000 although she got $12,500. The redemption was when she returned to the Winner’s Circle and won $100,000.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Our betters on CNN are worried that not enough of us are paying attention to their propaganda.

CNN worried after two contestants miss Russia investigation question
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

DBear wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:02 pm Our betters on CNN are worried that not enough of us are paying attention to their propaganda.

There have been so many people involved in scandal that it's hard to remember who's who.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:55 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:02 pm Our betters on CNN are worried that not enough of us are paying attention to their propaganda.

There have been so many people involved in scandal that it's hard to remember who's who.
And one of those two is from Canada. Good job there, CNN...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Unfortunately, asking which members of the current administration have been involved in ethical issues, illegal activities, personal scandals, and other embarrassing and shameful activities is like asking which members of the Eisenhower administration may have served in the U.S. military at some point in their lives.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast discusses Jeopardy! on its July 10 episode:

Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

http://www.tmz.com/2018/07/13/alex-treb ... arged-her/
ALEX TREBEK SUED
Woman Claims His Dog Charged Her ...
KNOCKED HER INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC
7/13/2018 9:16 AM PDT

Alex Trebek Sued By Woman Who Claims His Dog Charged At Her

Alex Trebek's dog runs after a pedestrian who falls into the street. What is Alex Trebek is getting sued.

Hanna Ketai claims she was walking her yellow lab down an L.A. street earlier this month when a "large black dog" -- from Trebek's property -- came running at her and tried to attack her. The docs -- obtained by TMZ -- claim Ketai screamed, turned away and fell on her hands and knees into the street.

Ketai claims a large SUV was headed in her direction, but a witness helped her away from oncoming traffic and to safety.

As a result of the incident, Ketai claims to have suffered physical, mental and emotional pain, worry and anxiety. She also says it has affected her work abilities.

We reached out to a rep for Alex ... so far, no word back.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

re above post:
"I'll take ambulance chasers for $800, Alex."
davey

Post by davey »

Alex is appearing on Fox News tonight for an hour...they're teasing it by saying he talks about his retirement...an interview with Harvey Levin, the People's Court-TMZ guy...8 PM EST
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:15 pm Alex is appearing on Fox News tonight for an hour...they're teasing it by saying he talks about his retirement...an interview with Harvey Levin, the People's Court-TMZ guy...8 PM EST
I spotted a board member:
Spoiler
Too bad it was game 6.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:26 pm
davey wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:15 pm Alex is appearing on Fox News tonight for an hour...they're teasing it by saying he talks about his retirement...an interview with Harvey Levin, the People's Court-TMZ guy...8 PM EST
I spotted a board member:
Spoiler
Too bad it was game 6.
Better shots to make the i.d.:
Spoiler

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

At the end Harvey Levin asked Alex about staying on past 2020 and Alex gave the odds as 50:50 or perhaps a little less. The follow-up was about possible replacements and Alex offered these 2:
Spoiler
Alex Faust - L.A. Kings announcer

Laura Coates - attorney and commentator
No decision has been made although reading Alex's face and words I got the impression he may be ready to retire at age 80 and having done 36 seasons.