J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:34 pm This is another article that mistakenly says the J! Archive is complete. You can check my math, but I believe that after today there will have been 8,564 gameplay shows, of which 1,260 are missing from the J! Archive and 61 are incomplete in the J! Archive. This means that the Archive is somewhere between 84.57% and 85.29% complete, depending on how much you care to count the game fragments that have been entered. (Note that #196-#260 and #4088 are not gameplay shows. #196-#260 are Season 1 summer reruns that were given new numbers. #4088 was a clip show done at the time of the Million Dollar Masters tournament.)
Do you happen to know how many of the games are partials /skeletons? Not asking you to go through and count, just wondering if you knew.

Eagerly awaiting the “13 letter words that begin with U” category.

It would be great to one day have it be 100% but I doubt that happens unless Sony creates a J! channel you can stream. Even then, they might not show the five day winner who was banned from the TOC or the seniors tournament guy who was kicked off after his QF game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Here’s an article which discusses wagers you will never see on the show. Not sure what they’d do if one of them was a bet you had a strategic reason to make.

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/5 ... agers/amp/
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 pm Do you happen to know how many of the games are partials /skeletons? Not asking you to go through and count, just wondering if you knew.
The number you seek is in the bit you quoted--61.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:27 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 pm Do you happen to know how many of the games are partials /skeletons? Not asking you to go through and count, just wondering if you knew.
The number you seek is in the bit you quoted--61.
Thanks. Glossed over that somehow.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 pm Eagerly awaiting the “13 letter words that begin with U” category.
Hope you wouldn't be ultracritical if it turned out to be an underwhelming category. An undergraduate looking to impress might write unbeautifully by sprinkling unenlightened vocabulary throughout a passage, but some readers might accept it unassertively, if the point comes across unambiguously. Which may mean not discussing urethroscopes at all, even though some upperclassmen might not be unsympathetic to the cause.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:34 pm This is another article that mistakenly says the J! Archive is complete. You can check my math, but I believe that after today there will have been 8,564 gameplay shows, of which 1,260 are missing from the J! Archive and 61 are incomplete in the J! Archive. This means that the Archive is somewhere between 84.57% and 85.29% complete, depending on how much you care to count the game fragments that have been entered. (Note that #196-#260 and #4088 are not gameplay shows. #196-#260 are Season 1 summer reruns that were given new numbers. #4088 was a clip show done at the time of the Million Dollar Masters tournament.)
How should people with missing games contact you? Should there be a button on the main page they can click? An anonymous tip line?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:38 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 pm Eagerly awaiting the “13 letter words that begin with U” category.
Hope you wouldn't be ultracritical if it turned out to be an underwhelming category. An undergraduate looking to impress might write unbeautifully by sprinkling unenlightened vocabulary throughout a passage, but some readers might accept it unassertively, if the point comes across unambiguously. Which may mean not discussing urethroscopes at all, even though some upperclassmen might not be unsympathetic to the cause.
Unimpeachable!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

TV Guide's May 9-22 issue had a couple of reactions to the cover story from the previous issue:

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:11 pm TV Guide's May 9-22 issue had a couple of reactions to the cover story from the previous issue:

I notice they didn't use Ann Jennings and Lisa Jennings-Peterson's last names. ;D
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got spoiled on Monday's game by looking at the CBC web site. They're trumpeting Mattea's wins prominently on their front page every evening.
Http://cbc.ca/news
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

More from the CBC:
CBC News: The National: Watching Jeopardy! with Mattea Roach's family.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

squarekara wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:43 pm More from the CBC:
video
If there is room for "congratulations" then there should be room for the !

Bakers follow the order slip, so blame to the customer.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:52 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:43 pm More from the CBC:
video
If there is room for "congratulations" then there should be room for the !
Bakers follow the order slip, so blame to the customer.
Maybe exclamation points were only for the first dozen or so viewings.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The Ringer: The Biggest Challenge for ‘Jeopardy!’ Super Champions? Talking About Themselves..
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2022/5/5/2 ... -fun-facts
Golf

Post by Golf »

squarekara wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:06 am The Ringer: The Biggest Challenge for ‘Jeopardy!’ Super Champions? Talking About Themselves..
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2022/5/5/2 ... -fun-facts
That's a damn good article and very true. After all, you're there to play the game with lots of money on the line. The last thing you want to do is stop and make small talk before facing the board again. I'd much rather get it out of the way before the game starts. But it's just the cost of doing business on stage.

I do have a question/comment about the following from the article....

New Jeopardy! contestants receive a questionnaire before heading to the studio. It begins: “Congratulations! You’re booked for the show! Now you are going to need some anecdotes for your interview segment with our host. Who knows how many interviews you’ll have: It could be from 1 to 74!”

That's supposedly taken from official Jeopardy material. But shouldn't the high number be 75? That's how many interviews KJ gave in regular play.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:41 am But shouldn't the high number be 75?
Ken: "NOT AS LONG AS I'M HOSTING"
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:41 am

New Jeopardy! contestants receive a questionnaire before heading to the studio. It begins: “Congratulations! You’re booked for the show! Now you are going to need some anecdotes for your interview segment with our host. Who knows how many interviews you’ll have: It could be from 1 to 74!”

That's supposedly taken from official Jeopardy material.
does this mean the show is now capping winning streaks at 74 games? :lol:
Total game show career losings = $171,522
davey

Post by davey »

I refrained from posting this article earlier because I thought there was some foreshadowing going on. Now that seems not to be the case...
I like Mattea's style in this interview...
https://www.vulture.com/article/jeopard ... l#comments
brick

Post by brick »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:57 am
Golf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:41 am

That's supposedly taken from official Jeopardy material.
does this mean the show is now capping winning streaks at 74 games? :lol:
I'd like to think Ken would refrain from hiring Jeff Gillooly. I'd really like to.