J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Robert K S »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 16033e8911

At around 19:50 of the podcast, Mayim talks about Jeopardy! Brief notes, but there's a lot there, so it's a worthwhile listen:

Mayim says she doesn't know what makes a streaking J! champion like Amy a sensation. "Her general awesomeness was so profound."

Noncommittal response on whether she prefers competitive games or long streaks. As host, she just wants to make an engaging show.

She says she knew embarrassing little about Jeopardy! before getting the guest hosting gig. While guest hosting, she did not feel like she was auditioning for a more permanent position and she assumed Mike Richards would get the host role. But she says she won't be part of the speculation about the Richards fiasco.

Her boyfriend had hip surgery the day she was called in to take over from Richards, so she was in a hospital waiting room when she got the call to return. She was nervous and just wanted the crew to feel good and safe and happy. She is known for getting the tape day done on time ("dinner at dinnertime"). When she shows up for work, she doesn't think about anything other than the contestants. She felt like she was raked over the coals herself, in terms of having her past remarks examined, and she weathered it to the best of her ability. She said it felt embarrassing, but that she was used to such attention, and she knows she's not everyone's cup of tea. She and her publicist have been listening to criticism for over 10 years, and she's used to it. "We all are doing the best that we can, America!" Her main concern was for the Jeopardy! brand, it didn't need any more negativity than it had already experience.

As to whether she'll be the permanent host, "I know what I'm doing through April." She has conversations about her potential permanence with her agent every few months. She'll just keep hosting ("going on dates") "until something interesting happens". She focuses on putting one foot in front of the other. She works Call Me Kat three weeks of the month and Jeopardy! the remaining week, and she will keep doing that until directed to do otherwise.

How is being Jeopardy!-host smart different from being sitcom smart different from being classroom smart? A lot of her Jeopardy! comfort comes from her acting and performance skills. As an academic, she sees herself as a science communicator, both as a teacher and podcaster. You don't need to be a neuroscientist to play one on television, but it helps in terms of the memorization. What she thinks is most interesting as a scientist and a woman in science is that there are all kinds of different women in science.

Does her approach to filming the primetime version change from the syndicated version? More hair extensions and makeup. Rhinestones. "Kid energy" from the contestants. The set looked really beautiful.

Mayim thinks she is approachable and that she makes people comfortable.
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:01 pm She says she knew embarrassing little about Jeopardy! before getting the guest hosting gig. While guest hosting, she did not feel like she was auditioning for a more permanent position and she assumed Mike Richards would get the host role. But she says she won't be part of the speculation about the Richards fiasco.
One wonders if she assumed this from the get-go for the same reason that Joe Buck claims to have from the moment he first walked on-set & met Mike.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

brucejoel199 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:56 am
Robert K S wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:01 pm She says she knew embarrassing little about Jeopardy! before getting the guest hosting gig. While guest hosting, she did not feel like she was auditioning for a more permanent position and she assumed Mike Richards would get the host role. But she says she won't be part of the speculation about the Richards fiasco.
One wonders if she assumed this from the get-go for the same reason that Joe Buck claims to have from the moment he first walked on-set & met Mike.
What was that reason? I definitely found this assumption interesting as well because it sure as heck wasn't the impression we were getting from our sofas.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:23 am
brucejoel199 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:56 am
What was that reason? I definitely found this assumption interesting as well because it sure as heck wasn't the impression we were getting from our sofas.
I’m interested too. And I still think Joe Buck should host for two weeks a season; call it a palate cleanser!
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Who is Austin Rogers?
CBS Sunday Morning

Golf

Post by Golf »

Bumping this valuable thread off the bottom of the 2nd page.

bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Mayim Bialik on Steve-O's podcast

I'm only 13 minutes in but it's been all about Jeopardy so far
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

bluejaylink wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:56 am Mayim Bialik on Steve-O's podcast

I'm only 13 minutes in but it's been all about Jeopardy so far
Only about J! for the first 15 mins. or so.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

First word of the article with no ! tells me what's coming.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:01 pm
"I'll take 'Poorly researched and badly edited articles' for $200, Ms. Balik [sic]"

Maybe I can forgive the Sidney Herald copy desk for not knowing what "ironically" means. But why is there a photo of a homeless hobo above the article?
davey

Post by davey »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:01 pm
"I'll take 'Poorly researched and badly edited articles' for $200, Ms. Balik [sic]"

Maybe I can forgive the Sidney Herald copy desk for not knowing what "ironically" means. But why is there a photo of a homeless hobo above the article?
I believe that's Mark Berryman, Managing Editor of the Sydney Herald and the author of the article. The Andy Rooney of Australia?
Golf

Post by Golf »

Between the blatant errors and the author’s opinion on Mike Richards, that is one of the worst articles I’ve ever read. We are all dumber for reading it and may God have mercy on your soul.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:10 pm I believe that's Mark Berryman, Managing Editor of the Sydney Herald and the author of the article. The Andy Rooney of Australia?
It's Sidney, Montana -- not Sydney, Australia. And, at least to me, the haggard face above the article looks more like an elderly Charles Manson than a hirsute Andy Rooney.
davey

Post by davey »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:29 pm
davey wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:10 pm I believe that's Mark Berryman, Managing Editor of the Sydney Herald and the author of the article. The Andy Rooney of Australia?
It's Sidney, Montana -- not Sydney, Australia. And, at least to me, the haggard face above the article looks more like an elderly Charles Manson than a hirsute Andy Rooney.
I should have known! I suspect the Sydney Morning Herald, circulation 11 million, is a bit more...professional.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Golf wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:26 pm Between the blatant errors and the author’s opinion on Mike Richards, that is one of the worst articles I’ve ever read. We are all dumber for reading it and may God have mercy on your soul.
I got so much dumber that I clicked on a link to their article "Fish Madness is back, get your brackets ready," but they paywalled me.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

squarekara wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:16 pm I got so much dumber that I clicked on a link to their article "Fish Madness is back, get your brackets ready," but they paywalled me.
A paywall? I suppose I can admire the publishers' optimism. But for $10/month I would sooner buy a bottle of Neuriva every three months. :D
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I wouldn't read too much into that, probably just means there is no contract for any time after that date. We still don't know for sure if there will be one host or two; while Sony has pretty much said without saying it that they want her full time.
Total game show career losings = $171,522