J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by lisa0012 »

Really interesting article by Arthur about his voiceover work.

Breaking out the Broken English
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Kirsten Dunst was cast in Drop Dead Gorgeous because the director saw her on Jeopardy!http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/d ... nniversary
Kirsten Dunst and Denise Richards were cast as the younger female leads. Richards was still riding high following her breakthrough role in 1998’s Wild Things, in which she also played a spoiled rich girl with a dark side. Dunst was a former child actor, notable for her roles in Interview With the Vampire and Jumanji, among others. But that wasn’t what convinced Jann she was right for the part.

“I had just seen her on Celebrity Teen Jeopardy, and she was so sweet and so normal, and so guileless,” he said. “That’s the girl who can grab the microphone out of the dead reporter’s hand and joyfully keep reporting with no guile. There’s no evil in her. There’s no premeditation… For someone who’d been in movies since she was a kid, like a tiny, tiny kid … she was at ease with being ill at ease, which was charming to me.”
Well, at least she got something out of it, because her Coryat for that game was -700.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

She rang in a whopping four times during the game and when given a multiple choice question, picked one not on the list, thinking Pluto was 67 million miles from the sun. Then on FJ (which she only got to play thanks to the rules which force us to see an idiot celeb play an undeserved FJ round), given the category "The insect world", gave a spider for her answer.

That impressed the heck out of me.

I wish she hadn't clammed through the presidents category. Could her wrong responses there have been any funnier than the ones the other two gave?

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3023
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I don't really get that FJ! because it was Latin and there was no "fel" or anything resembling that in the FJ! response.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Apparently in Late Latin, the word cattus largely replaced feles.

Hence chat, gatto, etc.

But it's a difficult FJ; I wouldn't have got it.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Talk turned to Jeopardy!, then Celebrity Jeopardy!,
Spoiler
or, as Andy Richter calls it, Remedial Jeopardy! :lol:
when Chris Hardwick was on Conan recently (from ~24:36 to ~25:50):
http://teamcoco.com/video/full-episode- ... wiaWQiOjl9
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Elizabeth made the Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/1 ... 42128.html
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:Elizabeth made the Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/1 ... 42128.html
If that is the best fail ever, would this be the worst fail?

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2550
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:Elizabeth made the Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/1 ... 42128.html
Any journalist who uses the trope "best ____ ever" for something as mundane as this needs to have his credentials revoked.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Got this article in a magazine yesterday. It's written by a one-time champ who lives in my town. I've done a bit of consulting work for the company that produces the magazine. I don't know the guy who wrote it, but I did meet the lady who was a three-time champ in 2008 about 4 years ago.

http://carrollmagazine.com/victory-agony-of-jeopardy/
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Mathew5000 wrote:Apparently in Late Latin, the word cattus largely replaced feles.

Hence chat, gatto, etc.

But it's a difficult FJ; I wouldn't have got it.
And the "pillar" part is seen in such words as depilatory. (Wasn't Nair once a sponsor of J!?) I think it's a lot easier, though, after maybe a second or two of working the Latin roots, to just step back and think "which insect looks hairy?" and then verify the answer with the etymology stuff.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee" which airs on Crackle had a segment that mentioned Jeopardy! Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner are big Jeopardy! fans, they watch it together every night. It ended with the two of them watching TV as the Think Music played,

As someone who loves Mel Brooks, it's so cool thinking that for three days in April of 2012, Mel Brooks was watching me instead of me watching him. And maybe yelling "Judy! It's Stokowski not Tchaikovsky!" at the screen.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

Don't forget that on the Jeopardy! DVD under online footage with Alex, Alex mentioned that Cheech Marin (who was a finalist in the M$CI in 2009-2010) got the role of Joe on Nash Bridges thanks to being the biggest winner in the inaugural Celebrity Jeopardy! competition in 1992.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jeopfansincebirth wrote:Don't forget that on the Jeopardy! DVD under online footage with Alex, Alex mentioned that Cheech Marin (who was a finalist in the M$CI in 2009-2010) got the role of Joe on Nash Bridges thanks to being the biggest winner in the inaugural Celebrity Jeopardy! competition in 1992.
Was someone talking about something related to this? Why would you say not to forget it?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Judy5cents wrote:Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee" which airs on Crackle had a segment that mentioned Jeopardy! Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner are big Jeopardy! fans, they watch it together every night. It ended with the two of them watching TV as the Think Music played,

As someone who loves Mel Brooks, it's so cool thinking that for three days in April of 2012, Mel Brooks was watching me instead of me watching him. And maybe yelling "Judy! It's Stokowski not Tchaikovsky!" at the screen.
That is so awesome.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Here's an news item about Alex signing a contract that runs till 2018.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a ... act-780691
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

There's both a Jeopardy! joke and a Wheel one in the same episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (no relation), though they didn't bother to get the colors or fonts right when they showed a clue on-screen.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote:There's both a Jeopardy! joke and a Wheel one in the same episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (no relation), though they didn't bother to get the colors or fonts right when they showed a clue on-screen.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't "let's not bother looking up the correct font and color," but rather "let's not bother dealing with Sony's lawyers and possibly having to pay for something that's going to be 2 seconds of screen time."
kyle.anderson
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by kyle.anderson »

Hello, I'm a filmmaker from Las Vegas. I'm trying to find a specific episode of the show. It's from the 1994 season. Nov 24th.

Is there any archive of episodes? I need the actual video footage.

Thanks!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

There's no archive per se of video footage of episodes, but there is an archive of the clues from the episodes the archivists can get their hands on. I'd say the fact that the episode you want is from a Tournament of Champions bodes well for your success. In fact, I suspect I've even watched that particular episode online. (But the upload, if it was where I believe it to have been, has since been removed.)