J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Bamaman »

There are probably people on this board who have a copy. However, unless this film you are making is for a class and no one but your professor will see it, you need to contact Sony about acquiring the episode. Putting footage of a game in your movie without their permission would be illegal.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

Speaking of J! in the media, it would probably be impossible to list all the media in which Jeopardy! was featured yesterday. Multiple people reported seeing it as the #1 trending topic on Facebook as well.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
kyle.anderson
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by kyle.anderson »

seaborgium wrote:There's no archive per se of video footage of episodes, but there is an archive of the clues from the episodes the archivists can get their hands on. I'd say the fact that the episode you want is from a Tournament of Champions bodes well for your success. In fact, I suspect I've even watched that particular episode online. (But the upload, if it was where I believe it to have been, has since been removed.)
What websites could I find old episodes?
kyle.anderson
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by kyle.anderson »

Bamaman wrote:There are probably people on this board who have a copy. However, unless this film you are making is for a class and no one but your professor will see it, you need to contact Sony about acquiring the episode. Putting footage of a game in your movie without their permission would be illegal.

I'm aware. It's purely for in-class use.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

kyle.anderson wrote:Hello, I'm a filmmaker from Las Vegas. I'm trying to find a specific episode of the show. It's from the 1994 season. Nov 24th.

Is there any archive of episodes? I need the actual video footage.

Thanks!
This is about the murder case, right?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

kyle.anderson wrote:
seaborgium wrote:There's no archive per se of video footage of episodes, but there is an archive of the clues from the episodes the archivists can get their hands on. I'd say the fact that the episode you want is from a Tournament of Champions bodes well for your success. In fact, I suspect I've even watched that particular episode online. (But the upload, if it was where I believe it to have been, has since been removed.)
What websites could I find old episodes?
YouTube. The site where I think I saw the episode was rutube.ru, and it was uploaded by a user whose account was removed.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
kyle.anderson wrote:Hello, I'm a filmmaker from Las Vegas. I'm trying to find a specific episode of the show. It's from the 1994 season. Nov 24th.

Thanks!
What murder case?
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

Marketplace ended its show yesterday with a segment about how "someone" had gone through every Jeopardy episode between 1984 and the present to find that the most common correct answer on Jeopardy! is What is China?" and the most common FJ cagetory is "Word Origins."

So when in doubt, say "What is China?"

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/16/8226697/je ... categories

Also, Laura Lorson who appeared on March 4th, 5th & 6th was interviewed by Scott Simon on NPR's Weekend Edition on Feb. 28th about her experience on the show.

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/28/389706273 ... appearance
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:

Thanks!
What murder case?
The murder case with the guy who was on Jeopardy. This wasn't it. I regret the error.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

I don't remember a murder case with a guy on Jeopardy, but there was Jerry Slowik, a five time champion who was charged with sexually assaulting a child. And I swear there was some guy who was charged with murder or rape or kidnapping who'd been on The Price is Right.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Judy5cents wrote:I don't remember a murder case with a guy on Jeopardy, but there was Jerry Slowik, a five time champion who was charged with sexually assaulting a child.
This is correct but somewhat misleading. Jerry was caught making out with an underage girl in the back of his vehicle. The case was delayed for a time, but a boardie recently posted a link that shows that he eventually pled guilty.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

Yes, making out with an underage girl in your car is a long way from sexually assaulting a child. But still, he should have known better.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Judy5cents wrote:Yes, making out with an underage girl in your car is a long way from sexually assaulting a child. But still, he should have known better.
She was described as being 'topless' in the newspaper article. Want to amend your statement?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:
Judy5cents wrote:Yes, making out with an underage girl in your car is a long way from sexually assaulting a child. But still, he should have known better.
She was described as being 'topless' in the newspaper article. Want to amend your statement?
I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Also, if Jerry and the girl had been in another jurisdiction (Ontario, Canada for example), no offense would have had been committed, either by the 'making out with' or by her being topless.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:Also, if Jerry and the girl had been in another jurisdiction (Ontario, Canada for example), no offense would have had been committed, either by the 'making out with' or by her being topless.
Apparently that's no longer the case. Until 2008, the age of consent for "sexual activity" in Canada was 14. It's been raised to 16. The female in question was 15. The definition for "sexual activity" seems pretty elastic. The City of Hamilton web site says it includes "any sexual behaviour from touching for a sexual purpose (kissing, for example)".
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
bpmod wrote:Also, if Jerry and the girl had been in another jurisdiction (Ontario, Canada for example), no offense would have had been committed, either by the 'making out with' or by her being topless.
Apparently that's no longer the case. Until 2008, the age of consent for "sexual activity" in Canada was 14. It's been raised to 16. The female in question was 15. The definition for "sexual activity" seems pretty elastic. The City of Hamilton web site says it includes "any sexual behaviour from touching for a sexual purpose (kissing, for example)".
Sweden, then. Or any of the 26 other European countries that have ages of consent <= 15. He's still a creep.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sorry. I thought that the girl in question was 17.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

He definitely should have known better.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

To be clear, I wasn't defending Jerry or his actions. I was just pointing out that the behavior in which he engaged is quite different from--and, I think most people would agree, less morally repugnant than--what generally comes to mind when one hears the phrase "sexually assaulting a child."
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:To be clear, I wasn't defending Jerry or his actions. I was just pointing out that the behavior in which he engaged is quite different from--and, I think most people would agree, less morally repugnant than--what generally comes to mind when one hears the phrase "sexually assaulting a child."
What in the world do you think was going to happen if he hadn't gotten caught right then (and that's if it hadn't happened already)?!?