J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
squarekara
J! Reactionary
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by squarekara »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:19 am For anyone looking to cleanse their palate from Mr. Walsh, here is Kareem Adbul Jabbar.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Why the Host of ‘Jeopardy!’ Matters
Thanks for posting this. I thought Kareem would be great for a guest host spot.
User avatar
squarekara
J! Reactionary
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by squarekara »

The Bulwark: We Have the Solution to Jeopardy’s Hosting Crisis.
https://www.thebulwark.com/we-have-the- ... ng-crisis/
Before anyone jumps on this bandwagon, please remember that the candidate in question came inexplicably close to blurting out "panties" as a contestant.

And here's yet another idea:
Decider: RuPaul Jokingly Auditions to Host 'Jeopardy!': “I’m Right Here, B*tch!”.
https://decider.com/2021/08/26/rupaul-w ... -jeopardy/
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1640
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Ironhorse »

squarekara wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:51 pm The Bulwark: We Have the Solution to Jeopardy’s Hosting Crisis.
https://www.thebulwark.com/we-have-the- ... ng-crisis/
Before anyone jumps on this bandwagon, please remember that the candidate in question came inexplicably close to blurting out "panties" as a contestant.

And here's yet another idea:
Decider: RuPaul Jokingly Auditions to Host 'Jeopardy!': “I’m Right Here, B*tch!”.
https://decider.com/2021/08/26/rupaul-w ... -jeopardy/
RuPaul did just fine with a set of clues a few years back. Unlike with some guest clue readers, the clues were read clearly and quickly.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.
User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2382
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:07 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:51 pm The Bulwark: We Have the Solution to Jeopardy’s Hosting Crisis.
https://www.thebulwark.com/we-have-the- ... ng-crisis/
Before anyone jumps on this bandwagon, please remember that the candidate in question came inexplicably close to blurting out "panties" as a contestant.

And here's yet another idea:
Decider: RuPaul Jokingly Auditions to Host 'Jeopardy!': “I’m Right Here, B*tch!”.
https://decider.com/2021/08/26/rupaul-w ... -jeopardy/
RuPaul did just fine with a set of clues a few years back. Unlike with some guest clue readers, the clues were read clearly and quickly.
He knows what it takes to host a competition show. I bet he'd do a good job.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Bamaman »

I’d give him a guest host spot just to see the reaction on social media.
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5738
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: J! in the Media

Post by This Is Kirk! »

squarekara wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:59 am
    alietr wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:00 am That Walsh guy gets even worse.
    [offensive video removed]
    I hear Sony's in talks with him.
    Interview questions include his bathing suit style preferences.
    Bamaman
    Also Receiving Votes
    Posts: 11108
    Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by Bamaman »

    Given the views of the GOP nominee in 2016 and 2020 towards women, I don’t think Walsh is completely wrong in asserting that people would base their decision on who to support in part on if she is good looking.
    User avatar
    morbeedo
    Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
    Posts: 2882
    Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by morbeedo »

    Ironhorse wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:07 pm
    squarekara wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:51 pm The Bulwark: We Have the Solution to Jeopardy’s Hosting Crisis.
    https://www.thebulwark.com/we-have-the- ... ng-crisis/
    Before anyone jumps on this bandwagon, please remember that the candidate in question came inexplicably close to blurting out "panties" as a contestant.

    And here's yet another idea:
    Decider: RuPaul Jokingly Auditions to Host 'Jeopardy!': “I’m Right Here, B*tch!”.
    https://decider.com/2021/08/26/rupaul-w ... -jeopardy/
    RuPaul did just fine with a set of clues a few years back. Unlike with some guest clue readers, the clues were read clearly and quickly.
    Yassss! And she got a round of applause after the last clue was read. Her appearance on Jeopardy! was unexpected but perfect! It would be amazing if they gave her a guest host spot during the second interregnum.
    User avatar
    floridagator
    Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
    Posts: 1746
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by floridagator »

    Now they're going after Mayim Bialik too
    https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/m ... ancel.html
    I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
    MattKnowles
    selwonKttaM
    Posts: 952
    Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by MattKnowles »

    I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
    User avatar
    morbeedo
    Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
    Posts: 2882
    Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by morbeedo »

    MattKnowles wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:38 pm Arthur Chu opinion piece:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... rthur-chu/
    I’m drowning in opinion pieces!

    ETA- This is a good one!
    Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    MarkBarrett
    Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
    Posts: 12633
    Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
    Location: San Francisco

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by MarkBarrett »

    MattKnowles wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:38 pm Arthur Chu opinion piece:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... rthur-chu/
    Sometimes when the WAPO articles are linked potential viewers run into a paywall. I'm not a subscriber, but have always been able to read them by trying various browsers or using this trick:

    Go to a search engine and type (in this case) "washington post arthur chu" Look for the three vertical dots to the right of the link and above the headline. Click those and then try a tab at the bottom for "Cached". From there try full version and if that does not work then try "Text-Only Version"

    Whether the regular version of the show or a primetime special, I would like to see Arthur Chu play again. Losing the ToC the way he did and then for whatever went down for not being part of the All-Stars, he is a guy that would be interesting to see again.
    User avatar
    squarekara
    J! Reactionary
    Posts: 1099
    Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by squarekara »

    MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:51 pm
    MattKnowles wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:38 pm Arthur Chu opinion piece:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... rthur-chu/
    Sometimes when the WAPO articles are linked potential viewers run into a paywall. I'm not a subscriber, but have always been able to read them by trying various browsers or using this trick:
    Hey, thanks for that tip! I had hit the paywall, then success! I'm gonna go nuts now and try that all over the place!
    User avatar
    econgator
    Let's Go Mets!
    Posts: 9694
    Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by econgator »

    MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:51 pm Go to a search engine and type (in this case) "washington post arthur chu"
    So, "lower"?
    davey
    Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
    Posts: 4647
    Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by davey »

    As awful as the decision-making has been, I've seen no sign that the show is "abandoning the unvarying formula we’ve come to depend on," as Chu says. Nor would I describe the guest hosts as "a glamorous roster of A-listers."
    User avatar
    opusthepenguin
    The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
    Posts: 8561
    Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
    Location: Shawnee, KS
    Contact:

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by opusthepenguin »

    econgator wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:51 pm
    MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:51 pm Go to a search engine and type (in this case) "washington post arthur chu"
    So, "lower"?
    :lol:
    User avatar
    MinnesotaMyron
    Jeopardy! Champion
    Posts: 2382
    Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by MinnesotaMyron »

    morbeedo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:49 pm
    MattKnowles wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:38 pm Arthur Chu opinion piece:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... rthur-chu/
    I’m drowning in opinion pieces!

    ETA- This is a good one!
    Agreed. I'll cop to not being a fan of Chu, but that was well written, and accurately described what it feels like's happening with the show.
    User avatar
    GaryG
    Contributor
    Posts: 23
    Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:01 pm

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by GaryG »

    MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:41 am
    morbeedo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:49 pm
    MattKnowles wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:38 pm Arthur Chu opinion piece:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... rthur-chu/
    I’m drowning in opinion pieces!

    ETA- This is a good one!
    Agreed. I'll cop to not being a fan of Chu, but that was well written, and accurately described what it feels like's happening with the show.
    I never thought I would find myself agreeing with an opinion piece by Arthur Chu, but here we are. Not a whiff of wokeness or cancel culture to be found, unlike what one might expect based on his prior online persona. Just concern for letting the contestants remain more important than the host.
    Ironhorse
    Wagering Pacifist
    Posts: 1640
    Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
    Location: North Carolina

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by Ironhorse »

    I'm not sure who I find more annoying, the people who are obsessed with trying to root out the "woke brigade" in unrelated conversations, or said brigade itself.
    Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.
    User avatar
    GaryG
    Contributor
    Posts: 23
    Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:01 pm

    Re: J! in the Media

    Post by GaryG »

    Ironhorse wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:15 pm I'm not sure who I find more annoying, the people who are obsessed with trying to root out the "woke brigade" in unrelated conversations, or said brigade itself.
    Well, if the latter didn’t exist, there would be no reason for the former, so it’s fair to pin both annoyances on the latter. :D

    In any case, most of the current conversation around who should host Jeopardy! seems driven by cancel culture, so that’s why I consider it related. The fact that Arthur took a different tack seemed worthy to me of being called out for praise especially given his past history.
    Post Reply