J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MarkBarrett »

In the J! players group on FB I posted this in the hope that Eric and/or Ken sees it or at least the other players momentarily shown.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:51 pm In the J! players group on FB I posted this in the hope that Eric and/or Ken sees it or at least the other players momentarily shown.
*twitch* That's 'Damn for $1000', not $500!!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Wait. Ellen Farewell Season?!?! The show is ending?!?!
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:54 pm Wait. Ellen Farewell Season?!?! The show is ending?!?!
Yes, this S19 (2021-22) will be the last one.

When Ellen announced it in May 2021 it was national news everywhere. Since the last season began in September it was been mentioned every show.

To make this post covers J!--Dhruv Gaur appeared on the show in 2019.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Artwork seen in an exhibit about dogs at the California Science Center in L.A.:

There is an accompanying "Jeopawdy!" game that has a special video introduction by Alex.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Jeopardy! has begun promoting the National College Championship on Facebook. It will air starting Tuesday, February 8, on ABC in primtime, and will be hosted by Mayim Bialik. It will also be streamed on Hulu. I can't find any definitive word as to the format, but details ought to be released--or leaked--soon enough.

Edit: this Deadline article says it will air over five nonconsecutive nights February 8-22.
The faceoff among students from 36 U.S. colleges and universities battle from Monday-Thursday, February 8-11 and February 15-18, with the ninth night set for Tuesday, February 22.
Other sources have this schedule:
TUESDAY, FEB. 8 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 9 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
THURSDAY, FEB. 10 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
FRIDAY, FEB. 11 (8:00-9:01 p.m. EST)
TUESDAY, FEB. 15 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 16 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
THURSDAY, FEB. 17 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
FRIDAY, FEB. 18 (8:00-9:01 p.m. EST)
TUESDAY, FEB. 22 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
The audition call made it seem like it was going to be team play. But 36 colleges? How do they work that if each college presents multiple contestants? That's way too many personalities to try to feature in just 9 nights (I'm presuming 18 games). Even worse would be if they were to team up players from different colleges with each other. Then, no team is representing a single institution, and the rooting interest is diluted.

If there are teams, would it be 18 teams of two? 12 teams of three?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Sorry to learn about online negativity toward MasterCone, who played so brilliantly the other day. Gutless wonders will always take potshots at high achievers, I guess. :roll: Posting this info in case anyone is unclear about the object of the game.

Newsweek: Amy Schneider Defends Fellow 'Jeopardy!' Contestant From Sexist Criticism.
https://www.newsweek.com/amy-schneider- ... rg-1655271
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

For anyone who watches Young Sheldon, a brief clip of this episode (the first round's category reveals) was shown in tonight's episode:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=315
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

squarekara wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:25 pm Sorry to learn about online negativity toward MasterCone, who played so brilliantly the other day. Gutless wonders will always take potshots at high achievers, I guess. :roll: Posting this info in case anyone is unclear about the object of the game.

Newsweek: Amy Schneider Defends Fellow 'Jeopardy!' Contestant From Sexist Criticism.
https://www.newsweek.com/amy-schneider- ... rg-1655271
People can be such jerks. Don't let 'em get to you, Pam! (I'm guessing they don't.)
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Well I certainly did NOT think this would be the result of my appearance, but it does not get to me, although I will never cease to be surprised at what people think is appropriate to spew publicly. I have also had some private conversation with Amy who is a true gem, so there's always that :)
Last edited by MasterCone on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

OK, I am lying... I actually totally called that people might have a sexist reaction to my competitive spirit.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t know what people said about you as I don’t do Twitter. But I liked your headstrong approach to the game. I said in Monday’s thread that you were probably disappointed to see her win but you definitely didn’t play scared. Against normal players you probably make the TOC.

I guess some saw it as you being bitchy, but I saw it as proper game play when facing someone like Amy.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Pam, I really liked your competitive spirit! Bleh at "social" media commenters who are biased against women having a game face.:roll:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:20 pm For anyone who watches Young Sheldon, a brief clip of this episode (the first round's category reveals) was shown in tonight's episode:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=315
Line added and pretty funny that Missy busted dad that the only reason George was watching was because the remote was out of batteries.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:49 pm Jeopardy! has begun promoting the National College Championship on Facebook. It will air starting Tuesday, February 8, on ABC in primtime, and will be hosted by Mayim Bialik. It will also be streamed on Hulu. I can't find any definitive word as to the format, but details ought to be released--or leaked--soon enough.

Edit: this Deadline article says it will air over five nonconsecutive nights February 8-22.
The faceoff among students from 36 U.S. colleges and universities battle from Monday-Thursday, February 8-11 and February 15-18, with the ninth night set for Tuesday, February 22.
Other sources have this schedule:
TUESDAY, FEB. 8 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 9 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
THURSDAY, FEB. 10 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
FRIDAY, FEB. 11 (8:00-9:01 p.m. EST)
TUESDAY, FEB. 15 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 16 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
THURSDAY, FEB. 17 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
FRIDAY, FEB. 18 (8:00-9:01 p.m. EST)
TUESDAY, FEB. 22 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)
The audition call made it seem like it was going to be team play. But 36 colleges? How do they work that if each college presents multiple contestants? That's way too many personalities to try to feature in just 9 nights (I'm presuming 18 games). Even worse would be if they were to team up players from different colleges with each other. Then, no team is representing a single institution, and the rooting interest is diluted.

If there are teams, would it be 18 teams of two? 12 teams of three?
Another description I saw just said 36 students. So I imagine the format will be 12 prelim games airing the first 6 nights, the twelve winners face off the next two nights, and the final three will faceoff the last night in a two game total points affair. If they want to have teams, they could have one person play the Jeopardy! round, the other play Double Jeopardy!, and one or both could play Final J!.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

goongas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:24 am the twelve winners face off the next two nights, and the final three will faceoff the last night in a two game total points affair
But how can you go from twelve semifinalists to three finalists in four games?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:32 am
goongas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:24 am the twelve winners face off the next two nights, and the final three will faceoff the last night in a two game total points affair
1. Lowest score among the winners gets booted.

2. First four games have no winners, only scores. Highest three scores advance.

Just a couple of possibilities. Neither one seems like a great idea.
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

Matt Amodio's Twitter verification status is more transitory than inflation these days:

Shot:
https://www.newsweek.com/this-platform- ... er-1655183

Chaser:
https://www.newsweek.com/matt-amodio-re ... dy-1655729
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:32 am
Swimwear?