J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: J! in the Media

Post by leszekp »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:39 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:26 am
I don't blame them one bit.

Good article and the archive gets yet another mention.
The article was good; the headline was crap.
I spoke with Emily, though I didn't make it into the article. She never said the word "jealous" once; the editors must have put that in to "juice" it up. She did ask me if I was envious; I said a little bit, but that I didn't begrudge those who did get to play under the new rules their opportunity.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:57 pm Call Me Kat producer Fox Entertainment's president Michael Thorn on Mayim's J! duties:
We really believe in Call Me Kat, and Mayim is fantastic both in front of and behind the camera. It’s no surprise she’s also doing exceptional work on Jeopardy!. We’ve really tried to support her while she’s doing Kat. As long as we can keep doing Call Me Kat at the level we’re doing it, we’re happy to support Mayim and our other talent trying to do other creative endeavors that lean into their ambitions. And the truth is, Mayim being on Jeopardy! isn’t the worst thing for Call Me Kat. It’s a good thing to have her out there in front of an audience that maybe hasn’t watched Kat yet but might now because they love her on Jeopardy!. We’re very supportive of it. We’ve really tried to work with her and her team and Sony [which produces Jeopardy!] to try and make it work. As long as we can protect Kat, we’re very happy to support her and feel like they’re beneficial to each other.
Since I really like Mayim as a host and we have cats, I gave Call Me Kat a try. I wish I hadn't. I believe in it, in that it exists and is on television. It is relentlessly self-conscious, and I'm not sure if it passes for humor unless you laugh awkwardly out of pity for the actors who had to read the scripts for the first time, knowing they'd have to do this in front of an audience. I'm thinking it would be off the air now if not for the added publicity related to Jeopardy!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Anachronism wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:52 am Since I really like Mayim as a host and we have cats
Thanks for that laugh on a lazy Sunday morning
davey

Post by davey »

Anachronism wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:52 am
Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:57 pm Call Me Kat producer Fox Entertainment's president Michael Thorn on Mayim's J! duties:
We really believe in Call Me Kat, and Mayim is fantastic both in front of and behind the camera. It’s no surprise she’s also doing exceptional work on Jeopardy!. We’ve really tried to support her while she’s doing Kat. As long as we can keep doing Call Me Kat at the level we’re doing it, we’re happy to support Mayim and our other talent trying to do other creative endeavors that lean into their ambitions. And the truth is, Mayim being on Jeopardy! isn’t the worst thing for Call Me Kat. It’s a good thing to have her out there in front of an audience that maybe hasn’t watched Kat yet but might now because they love her on Jeopardy!. We’re very supportive of it. We’ve really tried to work with her and her team and Sony [which produces Jeopardy!] to try and make it work. As long as we can protect Kat, we’re very happy to support her and feel like they’re beneficial to each other.
Since I really like Mayim as a host and we have cats, I gave Call Me Kat a try. I wish I hadn't. I believe in it, in that it exists and is on television. It is relentlessly self-conscious, and I'm not sure if it passes for humor unless you laugh awkwardly out of pity for the actors who had to read the scripts for the first time, knowing they'd have to do this in front of an audience. I'm thinking it would be off the air now if not for the added publicity related to Jeopardy!
I don't want to defend the show, and its ratings have never been great, but it was renewed for season 2 in early May, weeks before MB's first guest appearance on J!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

No clue where to put this question.
YouTube has decided I want to see behind the scenes Jeopardy videos so they are giving me one dated 2014 with
"Contestant coordinator Maggie Speakes."
I have a vague memory of her no longer being in that position when Brainiac came out. But honestly I have no clue.
Google is no help
Someone here would know.
Did she retire? Was that her job when she retired? When was that?
I want to share the video in a Facebook group but the information in it is somewhat outdated and I'd like to be able to correct things that are out of date.
Hopefully someone will see this question.
Thanks

Also in case anyone missed it, Shaun Cassidy posted the clip - to Facebook - which everyone sent him from the recent show with the J! contestant who met him as a teenager. (He is currently a producer and writer on New Amsterdam and touring on the weekends. I am a fan of New Amsterdam. Used to be a fan of his brother when I was 13, then heard David was not nice to fans and moved along to next fandom: Cher, then Donny Osmond)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

pamelajaye wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:22 pm No clue where to put this question.
YouTube has decided I want to see behind the scenes Jeopardy videos so they are giving me one dated 2014 with
"Contestant coordinator Maggie Speakes."
I have a vague memory of her no longer being in that position when Brainiac came out. But honestly I have no clue.
Google is no help
Someone here would know.
Did she retire? Was that her job when she retired? When was that?
I want to share the video in a Facebook group but the information in it is somewhat outdated and I'd like to be able to correct things that are out of date.
Hopefully someone will see this question.
Thanks

Also in case anyone missed it, Shaun Cassidy posted the clip - to Facebook - which everyone sent him from the recent show with the J! contestant who met him as a teenager. (He is currently a producer and writer on New Amsterdam and touring on the weekends. I am a fan of New Amsterdam. Used to be a fan of his brother when I was 13, then heard David was not nice to fans and moved along to next fandom: Cher, then Donny Osmond)
Yes, Maggie Speak retired from J!
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1 ... gie-speak/

You can search Maggie's name on this board for a bunch of J! credits. She also has an IMDb page.
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

Thank you!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Katie Couric interviews Amy Schneider.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Meanwhile, Ken has spoken on Marilyn vos Savant.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

New York Post : Alex Trebek's longtime, final LA home lists for $7 million.
https://nypost.com/2022/01/24/alex-treb ... 7-million/
earendel

Post by earendel »

Former J! champion thinks win limit should be reinstated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/forme ... np1taskbar
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:02 am New York Post : Alex Trebek's longtime, final LA home lists for $7 million.
https://nypost.com/2022/01/24/alex-treb ... 7-million/
There's a well-traveled hiking trail that starts and ends in that Studio City community (Fryman Estates), up through the hills in-between. Alex's house was about a block or two off of the main path. Was by there many times when I lived in Los Angeles.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

Just read the Nichols article. Chiming in from lurking to say just this:

First, Tom Nichols said Indian food is bad.

Now he's saying that Jeopardy! should go away.

How does someone with such bad opinions wind up with a column in The Atlantic while the rest of us are forced to suffer?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Leander

Post by Leander »

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This account on Twitter comments about the attire that Jeopardy contestants wear. It's a fun page. https://twitter.com/OneEclecticMom
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

harrumph wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:34 pm This account on Twitter comments about the attire that Jeopardy contestants wear. It's a fun page. https://twitter.com/OneEclecticMom
Lilly was also the grader for Tuesday Trivia for the last many years.